How do you get around with out a car?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you get around with out a car?

Last year I stopped driving and I'm going crazy. I didn't realize how much I took driving for granted, now I am no longer able to go out to get groceries, go to the drug store, or just go anywhere. Interested in how others in this situation are handling this.

I sold my car last year. I use paratransit, the train, and Uber. Paratransit is a stigmatizing short bus that is frequently late. For example, I missed a doctor's appointment because it was over an hour late. It was twenty minutes late picking me up from work. I spent $200 on Uber last month, and it would be a lot less if paratransit were more reliable. You still have to buy a Trailpass to use it though, and that's $146 a month. I feel I could drive short distances and was doing so, but everyone convinced me that, economically speaking, it wasn't worth it to keep the car. People never volunteer to take me to the store or out for fun, so I am glad I still at least work and can use the Uber service.

Comment

dyin_myelin; like you I have had similar problems with para-transit (or the short bus) not so much being so late I've missed an appointment but the driver being irratated when showing up early for pick up while I was still in my tysabri infusion, it also seems that some drivers take a longer route, I think they must have been former taxi cab drivers. I'm lucky as my husband will do the grocery shopping, believe it or not I used to enjoy grocery shopping so I miss the socialization I received from that, but I have very few volunteers to take me out to do other types of errands. As far as using Uber I use a wheelchair so I don't believe that's an option.

Comment

I don't really have any additional suggestions. Was going to suggest paratransit or uber too.

Hope you find something that works for you.
        ~ Faith
        MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
        (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
        - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
        - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
        - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

check with your town

I live in the suburbs and other than depending on the kindness of family and working with their schedule I discovered my town has a "Ride in Elgin" program similar to paratransit but without the delays. There is a distance limitation but that has not been an issue. Cost is $4.00 one way. Or, I take a cab.

I miss driving and the independence, I hate having to rely on others. It sucks.

Peace,
          Anna

Comment

Working...
          X