Am I SPMS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Am I SPMS?

Have I gone directly to SPMS? Is my neurologist incorrect? I had an episode in August that cleared in a week completely. Then I had my current flare which caused more symptoms but steroids brought symptoms down twice, now I'm off steroids and gradually see small improvements as I couldn't even walk, now I can walk much better but most other symptoms don't really improve much. I'm still believe that I'm in recovery but not sure. I have only experienced remittance once in August. Still waiting for my recovery from my flare I'm sept. at the time of diagnosis. I'm new to this disease but I'm worried.

thx

Originally posted by Ant1981 View Post
    Have I gone directly to SPMS? Is my neurologist incorrect? I had an episode in August that cleared in a week completely. Then I had my current flare which caused more symptoms but steroids brought symptoms down twice, now I'm off steroids and gradually see small improvements as I couldn't even walk, now I can walk much better but most other symptoms don't really improve much. I'm still believe that I'm in recovery but not sure. I have only experienced remittance once in August. Still waiting for my recovery from my flare I'm sept. at the time of diagnosis. I'm new to this disease but I'm worried.

thx
    i may be freaking out a little im 36 male BTW

Comment

Have I gone directly to SPMS?
      By the traditional definition of SPMS, no.

You can only progress to SPMS after having been RRMS for years.

However, I recall reading about them redefining the varieties of MS down to 3 in the last year or two, so SPMS might no longer exist, even. [anyone have a link?]
      1st sx 11/26/09; Copaxone from 12/1/11 to 7/13/18
      NOT ALL SX ARE MS!

Comment

Originally posted by MarkLavelle View Post
        By the traditional definition of SPMS, no.

You can only progress to SPMS after having been RRMS for years.

However, I recall reading about them redefining the varieties of MS down to 3 in the last year or two, so SPMS might no longer exist, even. [anyone have a link?]
        Hi Mark

SPMS still exists as an MS course.

Progressive Relapsing MS is the type that has been omitted as a separate category, and is now included in the PPMS category.

https://www.nationalmssociety.org/Wh...MS/Types-of-MS

Take Care
        PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
        ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Thank you! very useful information!

Comment

I don't know - your neuro probably doesn't know. Try not to worry too much. RRMS is not much better. I'm guessing with your new diagnosis you're really, really worried and scared to death at the moment.
            Look at it this way - it's unlikely to be as bad as you fear or as good as you hope.
            It is what it is.

Comment

Originally posted by rodriguezsmith View Post
              Thank you! very useful information!
              Welcome to MSW, rodriguezsmith.
              PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
              ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

What you have described sounds like RRMS and not SPMS. RRMS remissions can be complete (no symptoms) or partial (residual symptoms) with partial remissions being the most common.

I had an episode in August that cleared in a week completely. Then I had my current flare which caused more symptoms but steroids brought symptoms down twice, now I'm off steroids and gradually see small improvements as I couldn't even walk, now I can walk much better
                Sounds normal for RRMS.

most other symptoms don't really improve much
                Also normal for RRMS. It's normal with RRMS to have permanent symptoms and symptoms that come and go and possibly some symptoms going away.

However, it's possible to not know what symptoms or disability is permanent for a couple of years.

This disease sucks regardless of the "type."

I will again suggest you see a Dr. about treating your anxiety.
                Diagnosed 1984
                “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Anxiety

Originally posted by SNOOPY View Post
                  What you have described sounds like RRMS and not SPMS. RRMS remissions can be complete (no symptoms) or partial (residual symptoms) with partial remissions being the most common.

Sounds normal for RRMS.

Also normal for RRMS. It's normal with RRMS to have permanent symptoms and symptoms that come and go and possibly some symptoms going away.

However, it's possible to not know what symptoms or disability is permanent for a couple of years.

This disease sucks regardless of the "type."

I will again suggest you see a Dr. about treating your anxiety.
                  i definitely look into CBT to help me with anxiety thx.

I was diagnosed with RRMS and I believe that is accurately diagnosed. I'm not progressing as my walk is getting much better but where is the remittance? Is this my new base line? Cause it's quite miserable and I'd like to get out of the house and drive again. It's only been a couple short weeks since I stabilized with symptoms and only 1 week from my steroid taper. Am I just getting impatient to recover quicker? Could a remittance take months ? Like march 2018 is 6 months. I can't do much right now I guess.

Comment

It's supposed to be six months. My first MS flare was a numb finger. That was 20 years ago; and that finger is still numb.
                    Other flares "healed" up.

Comment

Symptoms

Originally posted by Thinkimjob View Post
                      It's supposed to be six months. My first MS flare was a numb finger. That was 20 years ago; and that finger is still numb.
                      Other flares "healed" up.
                      I wish I just had a numb finger only, not this balance issues and leg stiffness plus leg and arm weakness which affects my walk but slowly improving but so slowly. The wait is excruciating to heal up. My face has been numb for over 2 months still. Does the lesion healing affect symptoms to improve at all or has the damage been done?

Comment

SPMS RRMS

How is SPMS not much worse than RRMS ??

Comment

How is SPMS not much worse than RRMS ??
                          Not sure what you are asking. To me, it would seem SPMS is worse for a few reasons:
                          1. Medications to slow/prevent disability are geared and approved for RRMS, not SPMS
                          2. With RRMS, even with a relapse, you can recover. SPMS is partly defined because of disability progression.

Depending on your disease course with RRMS, it could be much better than SPMS.
                          Kathy
                          DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

I Understand

I understand how you feel. I have wondered if I had gone so SPMS over and over again. As Thinkimjob said, you don't know and your neuro probably doesn't know. I asked my first neuro and he said he didn't know. I asked my second neuro and he said "I don't think so". It surprised me but I decided I had to stop worrying about it because it was making me so stressed it affected my health.

Comment

Working...
                            X