First MS, now cancer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First MS, now cancer

15 years ago I was dx with MS. It was a time of fear, uncertainty, sadness. I thought my life was over but I had and have pushed through it. The MS , leaving me with a few permanent conditions; Nystagmus,optic neuropathy and balance issues , is currently stable. I have managed to continue to work full time since my dx.
    Then bam , out of the blue, I’m told I have another battle. Cancer. Sarcoma . My drs tell me that those with an auto immune disease have a greater chance of developing cancer because our bodies immune system is busy fighting the disease and can miss the cancer cells. The same feelings. Fear, pity, sadness, uncertainty. The tumor was on my foot. Next is radiation, which could leave me with a foot not 100% functional. I think it may be time to apply for SSDI but not sure where to start. Anyone have similar stories?

Med

Originally posted by jackiey View Post
    15 years ago I was dx with MS. It was a time of fear, uncertainty, sadness. I thought my life was over but I had and have pushed through it. The MS , leaving me with a few permanent conditions; Nystagmus,optic neuropathy and balance issues , is currently stable. I have managed to continue to work full time since my dx.
    Then bam , out of the blue, I’m told I have another battle. Cancer. Sarcoma . My drs tell me that those with an auto immune disease have a greater chance of developing cancer because our bodies immune system is busy fighting the disease and can miss the cancer cells. The same feelings. Fear, pity, sadness, uncertainty. The tumor was on my foot. Next is radiation, which could leave me with a foot not 100% functional. I think it may be time to apply for SSDI but not sure where to start. Anyone have similar stories?
    Which med are you on or have taken in the past? When were you diagnosed at what age? I'm sorry I don't have much insight being a newly diagnosed MSer. But this post caught me by surprise and I'm sorry to read about your diagnosis.

best wishes

Comment

Originally posted by Ant1981 View Post
      Which med are you on or have taken in the past? When were you diagnosed at what age? I'm sorry I don't have much insight being a newly diagnosed MSer. But this post caught me by surprise and I'm sorry to read about your diagnosis.

best wishes

I was 35 when I was dx. I have been on Avonex the last 15 years.

Comment

I am really sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I know there are a few people on the board who have fought both MS and cancer. Hopefully they will be along soon and can share their experiences.

I never heard the auto immune theory before that you mentioned in relationship to cancer cells.

I hope surgery and treatment go well.
        Kathy
        DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Hi Jackiey.

I was dx'ed at age 36, but had symptoms of MS for a number of years earlier - it just took a while for the official dx . And my first DMD was Avonex. I worked full time for about 15 years before taking disability.

When I was dx'ed with MS the auto immune family decided to move in. First diabetes (autoimmune disorder), then cataracts, and even cancer (on arm and it was removed - so far no other cancers detected). I was informed about 2 months ago that I have an overactive thyroid (autoimmune disorder). Still waiting to have testing scheduled so that treatment can be started.

I have not heard the cancer information, but have heard that autoimmune disorders do tend to run in packs. If your place of employment provides LTD then they will probably be more than happy to assist you with filing for SSDI (it cuts down on what they have to pay you).

Yeah it is certainly a time of fear, pity, sadness, and uncertainty when you are given a new battle to fight along side MS. At least your MS is stable . As pennstater said there are several people here that have had to fight cancer and hopefully one of them will jump in and share what they went through.

I am sorry that you are going through this. There is nothing that I can suggest. Just know that many of us have had other diseases show up and put us in the same place you are in. Sending ((hugs)) and feel better wishes your way .

Comment

I too also so sorry to hear of your diagnosis, jackiey, and sorry you have to face another battle. The following is a pdf file from the SS Administration - a starter kit that will be helpful to read over. https://www.ssa.gov/disability/Docum...A-1170-KIT.pdf

When you feel it's the right time to apply for SSDI, come back for help and support here. Many of us have traveled that path.

I wish you lots of luck, good wishes and hugs
            1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
            Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

I am so sorry and I hope your surgery goes well and a speedy recovery.
              God Bless Us All

Comment

There doesn’t seem to be any rhyme nor reason for it all.
                Wishing you all the best and hoping it all works out alright.
                It was one agains't 2.5million toughest one we ever fought.

Comment

Medical Kackpot

I was diagnosed with RRMS and put on Rebif. Then several years later I was diagnosed with breast cancer. I had surgery and chemotherapy. During part of the chemo I even continued taking the Rebif. Eventually I stopped the Rebif as I could never be sure if what I was feeling was due to chemo side effects or Rebif/MS. It is important that the oncologist know that you have MS and which DMD you are taking. It can make a difference in the choice of chemo drugs. The 2 doctors need to consult with each other on your treatment decisions. This was 7 years ago for me.

I wish you all the best. Please let us know how it goes.

Comment

Sorry to hear about your dx. Cancer can be as diverse as MS symptoms, and there are no good kinds of either
                    Originally posted by jackiey View Post
                    Anyone have similar stories?
                    My story is the inside-out version of yours. I had lung cancer at 40 (chemo & radiation), and the MS showed up 15 years later (Copaxone). And for good measure, I got lung cancer again 2 years ago (lobectomy & chemo) followed by a COPD dx last year.

It's been plenty scary at times, but I'm still here despite the statistics. I think the trick is to keep in mind that nobody can see the future -- heck, it doesn't even exist (yet)...
                    1st sx 11/26/09; Copaxone from 12/1/11 to 7/13/18
                    NOT ALL SX ARE MS!

Comment

Well, that sucks.
                      Best wishes.

Comment

Working...
                      X