Medicare

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Medicare

Does anyone have any advise for choosing a medicare plan. I presently have a Medicare advantage plan that covers drugs as well as medical insurance. It's very cheap but not sure how good it will be if my medical history takes a turn and care like IV steroids comes into the picture. If you get a supplement the cost for IV steroids would be payed by the plan. With a Medicare advantage plan I believe the patient is responsible for 20% of the medicare approved cost of treatment. Does anyone have experience with the Medicare advantage plan? Right now I have no copay per month but I do have out of pocket costs for lab work, copays and MRIs. The costs are reasonable at this point but if the disease progresses I'm not sure how high the costs could go.

I am on original Medicare, plan F, and with a diagnosis of MS, I wouldn't have any other plan. I pay $125 a month with no deductible, and then my husband and I chose the Walmart/Humana part D for $17 a month. We are both on generics, so we just pay cash at the local pharmacy. Since I'm on Tysabri, it is covered under Part B and at a cost of $6000 a month to Medicare, I'm way ahead over what I'd be paying with a Medicare advantage plan. I used ehealthmedicare.com to find our plans, and it was much better than the government site. Plan F will no longer be offered in 2020. Hope this helps add some information.

Comment

Better safe than sorry!

I have been struggling with the Medicare question also. The advantage plans are appealing because they are cheaper up front but you will end up having to pay twenty percent of part b drugs. I have decided to stick with original medicare and add a n supplement plan. I have a baclofen pump I figure the amount of the co pay for my two pump refills along with an Mri each year would cost almost as much as the cost of the supplement plan. Plus you're protected in case things go bad and you end up in the hospital!

Comment

Working...
      X