Open MRI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Open MRI

Alright been years since I have had an mri done, mainly cause have PTSD and get worked up around doctors or any medical people.

The Doctor that treats my ms finally conviced me to try to get an OPEN MRI done so he can confirm some things and keep my info up to date. Haven't had a major releapse in a few years and he wants to see what is going and see if there is any need to adjustment treatment you know normal things, probbly checking for over all brain shrinkage too given there was a little last time if I recall right very minor though.

So my question is are open mris make less noise and how long are scans typical for brain and cervical spin(Both with and without contrast.) I have problems laying still for extend points in time due to bad back spasms and my reaction to muscle relaxes sorta makes taking them when I have to be still for awhile not a good idea, cause end up having to go to the bathroom a few times after taking them...yea they overwork on me when they do work.

So kinda curious what is different with a open MRI over a regular MRI. I will be getting it done over at Hillcrest cleveland clinic this week if I don't end up having a anxity attack, though I will be given something before hand just hit or miss with the pills and such.

Sorry for any typos and errors, and thanks for your time.

I haven't had any experience with an Open MRI. The regular MRI machine doesn't bother me. I'm not claustrophobic, and the rhythmic sounds almost lull me to sleep, even though they are somewhat loud.

From the descriptions I've read, it sounds like the differences between a regular MRI and an open MRI are that instead of a tube-like machine, there are open sides. Nothing pushes on your arms or shoulders. I've read that many people are relieved when they walk in and see the open MRI machine. I don't know, though, that this would help with your back spasms and needing to go to the bathroom.

Since you already know that you are scheduled at Hillcrest Cleveland Clinic, could you call them and ask your specific questions? Chances are, they've had similar questions before; hopefully they will be able to give you answers prior to your appointment.
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

^

Good Advice May do that tomorrow even if nervous about calling.

Comment

Side is way open- lots of light. The sound is quieter such that where I went they offered a choice of CD to listen to while in there. Where I go now it is the tube and so noisy that I pretend I´m on a puddle jumper plane. If you warn them about the back spasms ahead of time, they can arrange a bunch of pillows under your knees to relax your lower back ( knees bent, feet flat completely relaxes your psoas muscle). To chill under these conditions I always close my eyes and do breath work- inhale through nose, exhale slightly longer time through nose. Allow your belly to rise on the inhale and to fall on the exhale. This will lower your heart rate, respiration rate and calm you down. You might want a blanket to stay warm while not moving.

Comment

Originally posted by Temagami View Post
          Side is way open- lots of light. The sound is quieter such that where I went they offered a choice of CD to listen to while in there. Where I go now it is the tube and so noisy that I pretend I´m on a puddle jumper plane. If you warn them about the back spasms ahead of time, they can arrange a bunch of pillows under your knees to relax your lower back ( knees bent, feet flat completely relaxes your psoas muscle). To chill under these conditions I always close my eyes and do breath work- inhale through nose, exhale slightly longer time through nose. Allow your belly to rise on the inhale and to fall on the exhale. This will lower your heart rate, respiration rate and calm you down. You might want a blanket to stay warm while not moving.
          Good advice and thank you for your reply. I like the cold very much so it being cool may help my muscles relax and me to stay calm also.

Oh did take the other posters advice on calling up the place, did so and found out the exact type of machine they use at Hillcrest open mri center its a Philips Panorama open mri, didn't know Philips made mri machines so learned something new and it looks like the 1t version judging by the appointment detials since it says open mri/1t in the details so getting one of the strong versions I hope so may have a bit more nose if what i read about the more powerful the open mri is the more nose it causes but can deal with that.

Seeing how open it is and the fact the bed looks more open then the slab they put you in for the close ones so should have an easier time, also found out they let the person that comes with you to come in if they want and if they remove certian objects that you normally have to remove.

So on top of a mild anti-axiity and such, should be good and only have to lay on my back for an hour also

Still nervous but feeling a little better now.

Sorry for typos and errors

Comment

Originally posted by RedTalon View Post

Oh did take the other posters advice on calling up the place, did so and found out the exact type of machine they use at Hillcrest ...

Seeing how open it is and the fact the bed looks more open then the slab they put you in for the close ones so should have an easier time, also found out they let the person that comes with you to come in if they want and if they remove certian objects that you normally have to remove.

So on top of a mild anti-axiity and such, should be good and only have to lay on my back for an hour also

Still nervous but feeling a little better now.

I'm glad that you called and that the info answered some of your questions and relieved some of your anxiety. Hope your MRI goes well.
            ~ Faith
            (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
            - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.

- Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
              I'm glad that you called and that the info answered some of your questions and relieved some of your anxiety. Hope your MRI goes well.
              Thanks just getting ready to leave for it, and seems my body isn't agreeing with me hoping its just nerves and my tummy and bladder settle down, But time will tell.

Comment

All done

All done with my mri, now just waiting to hear back.. But did pick thenormally offered copy on the way out, and unlike my past mri nothing stands out really dont see white dots on the brain and such, steam and spin a little unsure. Hopefullythe results are good once the radiologist looks at them fullyand writes his report.

Comment

Let us know when you get your results.
                  ~ Faith
                  (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

Results.

Not to go into to much detail mainly cause waiting till it shows on my chart so I can more easily copy and paste some terms.

No shrinkage and such that is out of the normal for my age, only 2 new lessions, though the details read a little differently, only one spot that was recently active and the report has it stands now says I am improved over my previous mri scan back in 09.

There is more to it, but improved is good and not have a bunch of new spots is even better!

So would say may DMD has done a good job slowing things more or less.

Sorry for errors and typos.

Comment

Thanks for the update.
                      ~ Faith
                      (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

Working...
                      X