Finding caregivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finding caregivers

Does anyone else need extra help? I’ve gotten so I am scared to drive and cannot possibly do all the housework.

I advertise in Craigslist but don’t find much. The agencies have such rigid schedules and charge an arm and a leg. I have spent all fall interviewing with nothing to show for it. Now it’s the holidays and I’m going to be trapped in my apartment with the trash piling up. It’s a scary thought.

I don’t know any of my neighbors. No one is ever outside.

For years there were so many good honest people around willing to work hard. Suddenly, the market has changed.

What is everyone doing who is alone.

Ugh! No responses!

Caregivers are hard to come by. As our MSW member, Katie, has aptly stated, "MS is a journey for one". Maybe every illness is (even a healthy, close family member can freak out about a "sick person" in their midst!). I am guessing your State has an "Adult Services" dept. Worth checking out. People have suggested contacting churches for help, but that would depend on the church I assume (I wouldn't bother with mine unless I needed Last Rites...). The fact that there has been no responses to your post just emphasizes that there is an extreme need for services for disabled adults.

I wish I had something more positive to say on this subject. The only decent service I have ever seen for the sick is Hospice Care...they are excellent, but of course the catch is you have to be almost dead before they come into play!

Bump, bump anyway. Maybe someone else can offer something positive!
    Tawanda

Comment

Sorry, palmtree, that your post hasn't gotten any replies other than Tawanda's. I looked up the NMSS website and couldn't find much other than someone needing advanced care and I assume you don't fit that category.

Maybe you could find a local chapter near you and ask around? https://www.nationalmssociety.org/Chapters

Could you advertise (or call the schools) for paid help at a local high school, community college or university? Maybe a responsible student is working on a degree or extra credit in social services? At least during their holiday time off..

I'm really at a loss as to what to suggest. It's a shame that one needs lots of $$ for extra help these days. I'll keep thinking through my cog fog and I wish you well.
      1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
      Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Trying to think outside the box a little. Do you have a community college or 4 year college near you? Maybe you could hang a few fliers there. There are usually some college kids who need to work. I was thinking that some schools that offer certifications as well, like CNA, etc...

I know in our area, there are some volunteer organizations that place volunteers, such as RSVP for senior volunteers and youth volunteer match. They look to match the volunteer to specify agencies based on what they want to do. If you call them, explain the problem, maybe they could do a reverse match for you and identify agencies that supply volunteers for the type of work you need done, then you could call the agency and ask if they can help?

Wish I had better answers for you.
        Kathy
        DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Hello, palmtree.

I've got a cash in hand cleaning lady. She's supposed to come weekly - she's not reliable at all, but she does a fair to middling job, if and when she turns up.

A few years ago she put an ad in the local paper - where I was once a journalist, and I grabbed her fast.

She charges $25 an hour.
          I live in a smallish town, everyone knows everyone, and you can employ people without worrying about them being thieves or serial killers.

Groceries - I shop online at the supermarket - it costs $11 for delivery. The delivery chap puts the cold food in the fridge and the freezer.

I hate driving - when you get there you've still got to hoick your rollator out of the car. Like my "mobility" scooter - I wouldn't use it for the first six months. I thought it was too much like giving up.

How wrong I was- at least you can get out of the house without being exhausted before you start.

Of course, it all depends on having enough money.
          Good luck.

Comment

Like others suggested local college nursing programs is where I'd look first. The other option would be to contact area nursing homes even if you speak to the receptionist they might be able to share information about patient sitters or CNAs who are interested in picking up a few extra dollars.

It is a different world now. It seems most high school and college kids don't work. I don't understand it but in many cases the youngins are not expected to contribute to their own expenses. If they do work the want to make a fortune and are not willing to do unglamorous jobs. It must be nice to be able to "focus on school" and never have to obtain a part time job. But thats a rant for another day, lol.

Good luck!
            He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
            Anonymous

Comment

I also suggest going to colleges to put up a job notice, also try hospitals and libraries usually have community boards that you can put up jobs and community related info. There are a lot of people looking for work, the hrs, pay, and work needs to be clearly established.

Comment

Wondering if there is a MS support group near you with some folks who are still rather mobile who could do some things on your honey-do list.

Comment

Originally posted by Temagami View Post
                  Wondering if there is a MS support group near you with some folks who are still rather mobile who could do some things on your honey-do list.

Good idea!

Comment

We have a neighbor who, along with her daughters own their own care company. They are cheaper than any home health care service and they will stay around the clock and they do everything! You might want to check around for private caregivers in your area. The home health care I had for Sam last year was useless. By the time I finally got them here I had done all the hard work and had him on his way to being a little more independent. All they did was check his vitals 2 or 3 times a week and ask a lot of questions and make sure I was giving him the right meds. I appreciated having them come, but they were never here when he (and I) needed real help. I found out that 911 will send someone out for free just to pick you up off the floor and assess the situation. Big help for me! I have wonderful neighbors who are almost always available to help me too. It's really tough facing this loss of independence. Sam and I are both sick, but I am the caregiver in our house. He couldn't do a thing to help me if I needed it. Scary stuff.
                    Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Comment

You can try the site care We were lucky and found a nice cleaning lady to help at the first try! but you may have to try several person. They also have care giver check there website. Good luck

Comment

Finding caregiver

Check carelinx.com
                        You may find it useful

Thanx

Comment

Working...
                        X