Cane or Forearm Crutches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cane or Forearm Crutches

My husband and I are planning a trip to Italy. I use a cane for balance and for back problems. The cane works as long as I stop often to stretch my back, but I'm wondering if forearm crutches might work better for me. Anyone have a suggestion? Thanks for any help you can give me!

I hope someone will be along soon with some advice. I use a cane, occasionally, when I'm in an MS flare, and when I'm at the pool to help with balance on slippery surfaces. But, I don't have experience with using a cane regularly, or with forearm crutches at all. Hope someone can offer some advice from their experience.
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

I've used both to assist my progressing weakness.

Specifically to your question:
      forearm crutches are more stable since you use two and tend to center you and might help if your back issue is made worse due to leaning with a single cane.

Downside:
      forearm crutches are longer and might become burdensome while traveling than with a shorter single cane...but if it assists with your issue then well worth it.

I would make sure you are comfortable with forearm crutches if you haven't used them in the past.

Comment

I have used 1 forearm crutch for 20+ years. It makes my life as close to normal as possible and I don't leave home without it..

Comment

I used forearm crutches for several years before I progressed to using a scooter. Even then I put the crutches in a holder on the back and used them in tight spaces, like European bathrooms. Using two is less tiring than a cane.

I found the crutches to be much more comfortable to use. The length was never a problem for me. On airplanes the flight attendant would store them and retrieve them if I needed to go to the restroom.

In my area, the only ones I found locally were not comfortable for constant use. The grips were hard plastic and the cuff didn’t fit well. I ordered Kowsky ergonomic crutches with soft grips online. They have a strap instead of a hard cuff, and are light and strong. Yes they are expensive at $220 a pair, but as my main “form of transportation” they were worth it. I’m sure there are other brands that have those features.

Comment

Thanks, everyone, for your input. I've never used forearm crutches but I think I'll give them a try before we go to Italy. I hope they will help my balance. Just thinking of visiting the Colosseum is making me nervous!!!

Comment

two hiking poles, much more flexible than canes and forearm crutches and using two helps back and hip pain whereas one just makes you kinda twisted. I go all over the world with my leki hiking poles. I have forearm crutches for inside where I do not use my AFO, but never use them outside. If you have the upper body strength hiking poles rock and canes suck.

Comment

Hi there, There!
                I have to agree-canes suck! How difficult is it to get the poles through security and onto a plane? I know less about trek poles than I know about forearm crutches!!!

Comment

Sorry I haven't had time to swing by MSWorld lately. I've used trekking poles and forearm crutches extensively when traveling (in Italy no less) and I have reviewed them in detail. How to fit them, how to use them, what to look for when purchasing, etc. Just Google "multiple sclerosis trekking poles" or "multiple sclerosis forearm crutches" and you should find my reviews. Hope it helps. Have fun on your trip!

Dave

Comment

Thanks, Dave! I'll check out your reviews.

Comment

Hi Kim-Mastro

I have been using a forearm crutch for many years. It provides me better support than a cane. Traveling with it is a snap. At security, they give me a wooden cane and run my forearm crutch through the x-ray machine. On planes, it fits in the overhead bin or they keep it up front.

The technical term for them is a canadien crutch. They come in 2 pair. Mine are covered by my insurance . When I get a new pair, I have a PT set them up correctly for me.

My forearm crutch does have a plastic handle. I have an easy fix for that, thanks to a PT. The PT used cloth cushioning tape. I then took it to another level.. I use a flexible bandage I get from a horse care company. It is the same bandage for half the price. It is a firm holding flexible cohesive bandage. I have had success with it. Once I got my crutch wrapped the first time, by the PT, I knew the level I need. I usually use 2 rolls for my handle.

I hope you have a great adventure.

Take Care, Bob

Comment

I prefer forearm canes

Originally posted by kim-mastro View Post
                        My husband and I are planning a trip to Italy. I use a cane for balance and for back problems. The cane works as long as I stop often to stretch my back, but I'm wondering if forearm crutches might work better for me. Anyone have a suggestion? Thanks for any help you can give me!
                        Kim,

I spent two weeks in Italy most of it at a 800+ yo castello - built long before accessibility was an issue about two years ago. The trip included a visit to Cortona, a ride on a steam engine pulled train with carriages from 1910 to a hill top village, rough paths, uneven stairs, and other difficulties.

Italy's older cities and villages are often in hilly terrain where streets are crooked, steep, and built using rough, uneven stones. When wet they are often slippery which is why I suggest getting a pair.

Having used a cane for 5 years and switching to forearm crutches on the advice of a physical therapist at UCSF a few years ago, forearm canes are the better choice - the stress on your wrists is much lower, the ability to catch yourself if the cane slips is much better, your ability to stand straight using your legs instead of your arms to hold you up is greater.

I find going up and down steps is far easier and safer.

As my wife points out (and she's right, don't tell her) the trick is to stand straight using the forearm crutches for balance while your legs carry your weight makes walking far easier.

I suggest you buy an adjustable, relatively inexpensive set from amzn that can be taken apart making them able to fit in overhead bins on planes.

When and if you find yourself using them regularly (and your wallet fat) you might want to investigate Thomas Fetterman's and Sidestix products - both have far more comfortable handles than the hard plastic ones used by much less costly sets.

Comment

Once again, thank you so much, everyone, for your advice!
                          I'll give the forearm (Canadian) crutches a try. The cane is starting to hurt!
                          I'll try to post pictures when we go!

Comment

Working...
                          X