Possible MS Trigger Discovered?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Possible MS Trigger Discovered?

A study published by Israeli scientists in the Journal of the American Chemical Society (JACS) pinpoints a structural instability in the myelin membranes, the “insulating tape” surrounding neurons.

This vulnerability seems to be what gives the immune system access to otherwise protected regions.

“We found that small modifications in the myelin sheaths create structural instabilities that may help the immune system to enter and attack neurons,” said principal investigator Prof. Roy Beck of Tel Aviv University’s School of Physics and Astronomy and Sagol School of Neurosciences.

A study published by Israeli scientists in the Journal of the American Chemical Society (JACS) pinpoints a structural instability in the myelin membranes, the “insulating tape” surrounding neurons.

This vulnerability seems to be what gives the immune system access to otherwise protected regions.

“We found that small modifications in the myelin sheaths create structural instabilities that may help the immune system to enter and attack neurons,” said principal investigator Prof. Roy Beck of Tel Aviv University’s School of Physics and Astronomy and Sagol School of Neurosciences.

The complete story can be viewed here:
    https://www.israel21c.org/multiple-s...sible-trigger/

Thanks Marco!

I wonder what causes the "small modifications in the myelin sheaths" which appears to "create structural instabilities that may help the immune system to enter and attack neurons"?

Did I miss something on why these small mods occur? I always knew I was special, lol.
    Kathy
    DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Another whole new "can of worms" to sort through , LOL. Hope some one is scratching their head trying to figure it all out ? Maybe one more piece of a puzzle ? Seems like a big puzzle though with pieces from all over the world.
      It was one agains't 2.5million toughest one we ever fought.

Comment

Thank you for this update. Will be interesting to watch how this will help scientists discover new ways to fight this dreaded disease
        Peace to all,
        LM
        RRMS 11/11/2005, SPMS 20011 (guess I 'graduated')

Comment

Kathy, I'm with you on this question. I'll be interested in learning what triggered this trigger.

Originally posted by pennstater View Post
          Thanks Marco!

I wonder what causes the "small modifications in the myelin sheaths" which appears to "create structural instabilities that may help the immune system to enter and attack neurons"?

Did I miss something on why these small mods occur? I always knew I was special, lol.

Comment

Working...
          X