Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New neuro is the first to identify possible ON.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New neuro is the first to identify possible ON.

My newest neuro is really a good guy. He has MS in his family which I'm sure makes him more sympathetic and understanding.

During my last visit he asked me when my last attack of ON took place. I told him I didn't think I ever had one. He said I probably just didn't realize it. I have a lot of pain in my eyes and some "weirdness" so he believes I actually have had some ON and just didn't realize it.

Could be true of a lot of little MS problems. I've never reported what I believed to be a relapse because I have never really been able to identify one. I just always assumed all my oddball symptoms were just that... and maybe some progression. I've just always tried to tough it out and handle things myself. But this doctor seems to be on the ball and can "see" further into my own personal case better than anyone else has, including myself.

No questions here. Just an observation.
    Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

I've also had ON and never knew it. I know you have had vertigo. I guess this is when I may have had it, as I couldn't tell up from down anyway!

Hopefully you continue to get answers from your new neuro.
    Kathy
    DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Originally posted by marti View Post
      I've never reported what I believed to be a relapse because I have never really been able to identify one. I just always assumed all my oddball symptoms were just that... and maybe some progression. I've just always tried to tough it out and handle things myself.
      Aha! The Stoic's Curse!

In my case I'm pretty sure it's all from the German half of my genes, but stoicism just comes naturally. Back in 1998 I had a brain tumor that was making me black out and throw up, but I still tried to act like I was fine. What a dope...
      1st sx 11/26/09; Copaxone from 12/1/11 to 7/13/18
      NOT ALL SX ARE MS!

Comment

Originally posted by MarkLavelle View Post
        Aha! The Stoic's Curse!

In my case I'm pretty sure it's all from the German half of my genes, but stoicism just comes naturally. Back in 1998 I had a brain tumor that was making me black out and throw up, but I still tried to act like I was fine. What a dope...
        I had to smile although soooo not funny. Thank you for sharing your story. I also blame my stoicism as well as my drive to work hard even if it kills me on my German lineage. Like anything it has its pros and cons I suppose.

This is one of those posts that makes me thankful for this board because it shows there are those who truly get it.
        He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
        Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by Jules A View Post
          I had to smile although soooo not funny. Thank you for sharing your story. I also blame my stoicism as well as my drive to work hard even if it kills me on my German lineage. Like anything it has its pros and cons I suppose.

This is one of those posts that makes me thankful for this board because it shows there are those who truly get it.
          I was so young when my father first referred to me as "stoic" that I didn't even know what it meant! Once I became more self-aware of this behavior, I think I developed some acting skills to blend in better with the general population. If course, you don't want to be too non-stoic, either, and come across as a flake!

Additionally, my MS mother and MS cousins are all originate from my German side as well. Put me in the club as well.
          Tawanda

Comment

!!!!!!!!! Absolutely it.

DNA -1/2 German, 1/2 Dutch. Great,great grand parents. So 4th generation Aussie= me.
            Have often wondered if that 'attitude' would ever lessen ? But i can see it in my kids too
            My husband often says i'm just too stubborn to give in to anything (especially MS). So i choose to embrace it as a good thing.
            He's 1/2 German too but i think the British bit has diluted his dna a bit . Though i honestly have never met any one more 'stoic' than him.
            Like they say you just can't escape DNA.

Comment

Just to add my 2 cents. I am 100% Italian. Does that count towards the stoic thing? We're usually quite "emotional" "animated" you know, crazy!!
              Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Comment

Hi Marti,
                I would love to be a stereotypical Italian Mama, cooking pasta and marrying my sons off to nice girls and having big family dinners

I think you hit the stereotypical nail on the head with emotional and animated but not 'crazy'.
                'Fun' is more accurate i think.

Caroline

Comment

German too. Not sure if Stoic or just stubborn😉. Also Irish. Always joke that I have an Irish temper with German stubbornness! Thankfully, takes alot to get the temper up. The stubbornness, well that makes more frequent appearances...
                  Kathy
                  DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

My kindergarten teacher told my mother I was a stoic. I don't consider myself one.

But I will say, showing up at the ER with a work laptop does not get you seen in a hurry. It wasn't until my labs came back that they took me seriously. Pumped me full of morphine and told me to call my neuro in the morning. Only I'd driven to the ER. Too high to drive, I walked home.

Comment

Working...
                    X