Dentist for Disabled?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dentist for Disabled?

As my MS progression is getting worse, I think I need to find a dentist for the disabled but not sure how to find what I need.

I'm mostly in a manual wheelchair and need assistance to transfer but this is even getting tough.
    Last appointment 2+ years ago I managed with help from my son-in-law but I'm much weaker now and not sure if my current dentist is still doable. This is leading to no longer going for my regular cleanings and xays.

Any input is appreciated.

I understand. I'm pretty much in the same place, but I don't know what to do about it. The exam rooms at my dentist are pretty small.

My regular power wheelchair won't fit, so I use a smaller one to go to the dentist. My husband has to lift me from that to dental exam chair.

They need you in the exam chair for the work, so I don't know what else to do. Frankly if my husband didn't make appointments for us together I'd have probably stopped going.

Comment

kmallory1,
      Thanks for your reply and you seem to be in the same situation as me.
      I was assisted as I stood and pivoted and flopped into the exam chair but now I'm so much weaker so not sure.
      My dentist is in an old building and small too.

Hopefully someone will know what options there are for those in our condition - of course I can always call my dentist.

Comment

I use a transport chair with removable arms. We can saddle up parallel to the dental chair. I have a small transfer board which allows me to slide onto the chair. It is hard but we manage barely. Same for ENT and eye exams.

Comment

Working...
        X