Saw the ENT today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saw the ENT today

Just an update on my ongoing dizziness/lightheadedness.

I finally had my appointment with the ENT and he eliminated the possibility of this being an inner ear problem. They did extensive testing and he is certain this is all a CNS problem.

So, I'm back to the beginning, but I can be sure it's not my ears. I've had several MRI's over the years and nothing else was ever detected besides the MS. This kind of makes me feel a little better, but I'm sure I'll always be searching for something that can be fixed.

Not sure what this new, nearly fainting thing is. Will see the neuro at the end of the month.

Sometimes it's just so hard to face the facts. I'm the queen of denial.
    Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Originally posted by marti View Post
    Just an update on my ongoing dizziness/lightheadedness.

I finally had my appointment with the ENT and he eliminated the possibility of this being an inner ear problem. They did extensive testing and he is certain this is all a CNS problem.

So, I'm back to the beginning, but I can be sure it's not my ears. I've had several MRI's over the years and nothing else was ever detected besides the MS. This kind of makes me feel a little better, but I'm sure I'll always be searching for something that can be fixed.

Not sure what this new, nearly fainting thing is. Will see the neuro at the end of the month.

Sometimes it's just so hard to face the facts. I'm the queen of denial.
    marti

Thanks for the update. Hopefully the dizzy/lightheadedness resolves for you!

Good luck at neuro appointment, let us know what you find out.

Take Care
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

I can relate to the feeling like I'm going to faint. It only happens in late afternoon when I stand up from a sitting position, it's not vertigo, just feels like my bp drops (very strange that it happens only in late afternoons and only once and not every day).

Maybe your neuro will have the answer for you.
      Hope you feel better soon.
      God Bless Us All

Comment

Originally posted by REG53 View Post
        I can relate to the feeling like I'm going to faint. It only happens in late afternoon when I stand up from a sitting position, it's not vertigo, just feels like my bp drops (very strange that it happens only in late afternoons and only once and not every day).

Maybe your neuro will have the answer for you.
        Hope you feel better soon.
        My mom had orthostatic hypotension. This is where your blood pressure dropped when standing by more than 20 points top number and/or 10 points bottom number.

Some medications can cause this, but there are other causes. You may want to take your BP to see if that is the cause. If it only occurs at specific time, any meds taken then?

They told my mom to always rise in slow steps, laying to sitting, sitting to standing, and then wait before taking steps, preferably having something to support her when rising.
        Kathy
        DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

pennstater-- I take 2 20mg baclofen, sometimes 3 in afternoon before this happens. That could be the reason I guess.
          God Bless Us All

Comment

I take 2 20mg baclofen, sometimes 3 in afternoon before this happens. That could be the reason I guess.
            Hi REG53:

Your symptom doesn't sound so strange after all. The timing and the regularity of it after you take your baclofen are highly suspicious for it being a medication side effect.

Comment

CNS Dizziness

I have been to 2 ENT's and my dizziness is absolutely CNS not an ear problem. I have been dizzy every day for over 5 years. I have recently gone to a physical therapist who advised me that he couldn't help either. It becomes devastating to think I have to always be this way so I am doing mindfulness meditation to help me cope better.

As for the faint feeling, I was getting that with blood pressure medicine but I only felt "faint" when I stood up too fast. I try to remember to take things slow.

I hope you feel better and that your dizziness subsides somewhat. I feel like I would try almost anything to get rid of the dizziness then I realize that is just desperation thinking. I appreciated your post.

Comment

Originally posted by loopey View Post
                I have been to 2 ENT's and my dizziness is absolutely CNS not an ear problem. I have been dizzy every day for over 5 years. I have recently gone to a physical therapist who advised me that he couldn't help either. It becomes devastating to think I have to always be this way so I am doing mindfulness meditation to help me cope better.

As for the faint feeling, I was getting that with blood pressure medicine but I only felt "faint" when I stood up too fast. I try to remember to take things slow.

I hope you feel better and that your dizziness subsides somewhat. I feel like I would try almost anything to get rid of the dizziness then I realize that is just desperation thinking. I appreciated your post.

Thanks Loopey. The thing about my faintness is that the last time it happened I was just waking up... hadn't sat up yet. So, the neuro will hear about this in a couple weeks. But it's a rare thing. I've often heard that there is nothing much they can do to combat the dizzies. We are a mess my little Paisano.
                Marti

Comment

Hi Marti,
                  Yep , often if a person feels dizzy after standing or moving a certain way it can be BP or inner ear issues.
                  But i have sometimes felt faint (like general anaesthetic is just starting to work) without having done anything to be able to say that may have contributed to it.

And I am not a fainter - i haven't passed out ever.

I don't experience it often and it only lasts a seconds generally so it doesn't worry me too much.I have asked docs about it and basically have been told things i already know and have discounted.

So good luck with your appoimtment . but i think your right-
                  I've often heard that there is nothing much they can do to combat the dizzies. We are a mess my little Paisano.

Comment

Vestibular therapy targets dizziness. It may or may not help. But it can't hurt to try. If it doesn't work, no worse off. If it does, great! I have been helped by it. It is uncomfortable, as they induce dizziness to help build up resistance to it. For me, it's a lifetime commitment. When I slack off on exercises, it returns.
                    Kathy

Comment

Originally posted by pennstater View Post
                      Vestibular therapy targets dizziness. It may or may not help. But it can't hurt to try. If it doesn't work, no worse off. If it does, great! I have been helped by it. It is uncomfortable, as they induce dizziness to help build up resistance to it. For me, it's a lifetime commitment. When I slack off on exercises, it returns.

The ENT doctors did several tests and decided this was not Vestibular. He referred me back to the neuro. Talk about going in circles... in more ways than one right!
                      Marti

Comment

Originally posted by marti View Post
                        The ENT doctors did several tests and decided this was not Vestibular. He referred me back to the neuro. Talk about going in circles... in more ways than one right!
                        Just FYI, my eval with WANT was negative for vestibular causes and positive for some CNS indicators. We tried it as nothing to lose. Whether I was lucky or bad vestibular eval, don't know.
                        Kathy

Comment

Originally posted by pennstater View Post
                          Just FYI, my eval with WANT was negative for vestibular causes and positive for some CNS indicators. We tried it as nothing to lose. Whether I was lucky or bad vestibular eval, don't know.

I think it's all a process of elimination for us. And yes, the ENT doctor believes this is all CNS symptoms, which is what I expected.
                          Marti

Comment

Working...
                          X