help speaking and cognative more and more an issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

help speaking and cognative more and more an issue

I find even with my arcade and crossword etc effort my butchering words or not finding them is more and more of an issue. Now all my spouse and I can do is laugh at what comes out or doesn't lol. Its not all the time but more and more. Any suggestions for RX, therapy or peanut butter on face and standing on head as threatening to try that as soon as I can find a spotter bahahahahahaha

I can understand. For me, I know tied to fatigue level and/or environments that aren't conducive to focusing. In both cases, I try extra hard to tune everything else out.

My neuro is a big proponent of doing things that challenge more than one sense at a time, like learning a new language or a musical instrument. He said these have a bigger impact on memory and cognitive reserve.

He is also big on aerobic exercise for cognitive function. But need to get heart rate up to get benefit.

I also try to memorize random numbers, license plates, etc. I will repeat, write down, then repeat again and wait about 30 minutes, doing other stuff, then try to remember. I also have been trying to memorize people's cell numbers. Good exercise, and practical, in the event phone died or I forget to take it.
    Kathy
    DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Mine is also very much influenced by my fatigue level. I am difficult to understand to begin with, and to add to it makes it almost impossible. I have to take pictures of things instead of explaining how to do them because I have lost that ability also.
      hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
      volunteer
      MS World
      hunterd@msworld.org
      PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Have you tried Speech Therapy? I was referred for speech therapy a few months ago. I think the referral was made in response to several things I reported to the doctor: increased difficulty with word retrieval in both verbal and written situations,both public and private settings; variable lack of mouth/lip/swallowing control - some days I choke on a bite of food or a bit of water, some days I am a little embarrassed because liquid I am trying to drink is running out one side of my mouth or the other (so far, not both at the same time), some days more food goes down my front than gets into my mouth, and also because I can sometimes remember the word but have sort of forgotten how to say it.

With 7 sessions of ST behind me, I have made noticeable progress I think. I've done story listening/reading and then answering questions, word lists, word association, etc, all in an effort to "build new pathways". Word retrieval seems easier and faster even when I draw a blank. That doesn't mean the problem is cured, but my frustration is a little less.

For my dribbling mouth, I've been given some face-muscle strengthening exercises. My family thinks that's a hoot, since they accuse me of talking too much anyway and not needing help to talk more That is coming along a little slower, probably because I am not so consistent with the plan.

Next week I am scheduled to complete a 'modified barium swallow' and see if that shows anything. I am hoping I will be having a period of trouble swallowing/choking next week so something will show up that can be addressed with therapy.

The ST tells me that OT folks need to address my propensity to decorate the front of my clothes. Guess that'll have to come later. Now I'm worried about running out of insurance-allowed therapy sessions. Hadn't even given that a thought until the ST brought it up.

Bottom line - check out speech therapy. If you've done it before, maybe a "booster" session or two would help.

Good luck!

Comment

I agree with both of the answers you received. For me, a combination of speech therapy (cognitive therapy) and fatigue therapy (medication). Both have helped but I still go through periods of cognitive issues and still have some permanent loss of short term memory--really short term at times, like minutes. So the puzzles and games help, but some may be gone for good, it gust depends on your lesion load, and/or location, or gray matter atrophy. Depression also plays a role as do medications and I have found that a mild anti-depressant helps me a bit also.

Take care
          Lisa
          Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
          SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
          Tysabri

Comment

thanks to all/migraine help

I believe all suggestions were helpful!! I am puzzled that more did not respond as I can't and don't believe we few are the only ones dealing with these issues unless the "rest" of us MSers are just exceedingly lucky so good for them. Saw MS doc(actually physicians assistant) for Botox injections yesterday due to migraines. Wish they were in the face to help this vintage lady (I refuse to call myself elderly bahahahah) have less wrinkles. Note: to all migraine sufferers this was my last resort!! Got the 31 injections in Dec. Helped immediately. Then was in FL helping friend move and stayed past time for next round of injections-----got migraines again. Thus decision to have third round as suggested in May. Then may try to hold off and determine if I need to continue.

Appt time 2pm-4:30pm due to all items I saved up to share and deal with drats. The brain functioning or lack thereof lol was main concern. So getting appt for cognitive functioning with psychologist that takes abt 5hrs whew tired already. Thanks

Comment

Hi jk,
              Sorry you were disappointed with not many replies. I empathise. I mostly didn't till now for a couple reasons, 1 I think your current answers covered things really well, and 2 I recommend you check out some of the older posts just near your own on cognition being discussed in a lot of detail.
              I hope this helps- don't have the energy today to focus to hard sorry.
              Caroline.

Comment

No one understand what I’m says ng

Most of my coworkers tell me I speak very fast and no one can understand me. I tried speech therapy for a few weeks but I don’t think it helped much. Everyone tells me Inspeak too fast. Ah, what to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Sirike View Post
                  Most of my coworkers tell me I speak very fast and no one can understand me. I tried speech therapy for a few weeks but I don’t think it helped much. Everyone tells me Inspeak too fast. Ah, what to do.
                  Is this something new? Does your neuro think related to MS? I haven't heard this before, but MS can be so variable.
                  Kathy
                  DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Working...
                  X