New lesions on C-Spine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New lesions on C-Spine

I've been having terrible electric shocks in my head, headaches, dizziness and neck / shoulder tightness for a few weeks now. MRI shows new lesions on my C-Spine. My neuro doctor said that all my symptoms are consistent with the new lesions. On steroids now, which helps with the pain somewhat. Who else has this issue and what do you do for the pain / dizziness. I really try not to take medication unless I really need to. So I am looking for non-medicine suggestions. Right now I use hot compresses and essential oils..which help. Any other suggestions or do I really need to be looking at medication.
    Thank you
    Susie
    "Knowledge is power"

You maybe could try some acupuncture , but only with someone who has a degree in Chinese medicine not just anybody. It's the only thing I've done to treat my MS. There's no medicine for me anyway. PPMS for 12 years now. Still go in to work every day, even if I don't feel like it.
    It was one agains't 2.5million toughest one we ever fought.

Comment

Hi,
      If you are RRMS and this is a relapse it probably wouldn't hurt to ask doc about pain meds.
      As it usually would mean only taking them until you don't need them anymore. I hate 'popping pills' too but the kind of pain you describe sounds like nerve pain and it is hard to manage.

Hot compresses always help me. The steroids are probably contributing to the headaches as well.
      I haven't had any experience with acupuncture but i have heard others have, so maybe thats worth a try?

sorry I couldn't be more help hopefully others may have more options to offer.

Comment

Hi poozer13,

For neck and shoulder tightness --- Massage therapy, gentle stretching. Heating pad, but if you are heat intolerant be cautious of how much and how long you are using the heating pad. A Physical Therapist can be helpful in this area and some also do Massage Therapy.

Cervical spinal cord lesions cause symptoms from the lesion down so they would not be responsible for your headaches or dizziness. The electrical shocks in your head, do they happen when you bend your head down? There is reverse Lhermittes sign which can go up instead of down and would be related to a cervical spinal cord lesion otherwise I am not aware of a c-spine lesion causing electric head shocks. Some medications can cause this to happen.

Did you also have a brain MRI done?
        Diagnosed 1984
        “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

I have C lesions too. There are very very gentle yoga stretches for the neck that make a huge difference in regards to pain, tension and range of motion.
          A while ago I made cloth rectangular bags filled with rice, beans or flaxseed that I heat in the microwave for 2 minutes max. The heat plus the weight helps relax the muscles. Magnesium oil- which is really a magnesium salt in water will relax those muscles and may eliminate the muscle pain completely or at least significantly.

Comment

Thank you

Thank you all for your input and suggestions. Heating pad does really help.
            @Temagami, I am going to make one of those bags to heat my neck and see if the weight helps.
            @snoopy my neuro did state I have a form of Lhermittes, the electrical shocks happen no matter if my head is up, down or neutral position. He did say the lesions can cause dizziness and headaches due to where the nerve damage/lesions are located. I also had a brain MRI and it was fine. No new or active lesions on my brain, which is great news!
            @oceanpride I have thought about acupuncture. I've heard good things from people who do it.
            @Carolinemf I think I may ask for pain meds short term if it doesn't get better. I don't think the steroids are causing the headaches, I've had them since my neck started hurting and before I started taking steroids. My neuro said the headaches were probably due to the nerve damage and where the lesions are located.
            Thank you all again so much for taking the time to offer your suggestions. I really appreciate it.
            Susie
            "Knowledge is power"

Comment

I would ask for Rx for both physical and vestibular therapy.

For PT, water based may help to build strength up without worrying about balance and dizziness. If not water, getting a good stretching program set up to target the upper body, but also some for lower. Did you neuro mention any spasticity?

If still dizzy, you can try vestibular therapy. It targets eye and head movements that may bring on dizziness. The theory is that you slowly do these movements to build up a resistance, so the movements no longer cause dizziness. It helped me, and continues to!

You can try a chiropractor. It seemed to help a little for me, but it may have been alleviating non-MS pain that was contributing to overall pain. My 2 neuros though both had told me not to get my neck adjusted, just the spine.

I have lesions C2-C6, as well as brain. I am mostly affected in upper body. I have had L'Hermites, neck and shoulder tightness and pain, and the dizziness.

Hope you continue to feel better.
              Kathy
              DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Originally posted by poozer13 View Post
                I've been having terrible electric shocks in my head, headaches, dizziness and neck / shoulder tightness for a few weeks now. MRI shows new lesions on my C-Spine. My neuro doctor said that all my symptoms are consistent with the new lesions...
                Thank you
                My fiance also has MS (as do I) she cannot take medications and, therefore, HAS to devise ways to overcome the pain/discomfort of this disease. I am NOT telling you to consume alcohol, but I know that she uses tiny amounts (I.E. 1 drink) to help with this particular kind of pain electrical "zaps". She ALSO uses a rubber ball to work out muscle-knots. I ALSO massage her neck/shoulders (that is where her pain is often located)
                Peace to all,
                LM
                RRMS 11/11/2005, SPMS 20011 (guess I 'graduated')

Comment

I have had spinal cord lesions (C & T) for 32 years, that's just where this disease likes to go in my case. All of my symptoms from the spinal cord lesions are from that point down, never above. My Neurologist's have also told me spinal cord lesions affect a person from the point of lesion down.

I deal with dizziness. This was never associated with spinal cord lesions but suspected damage either in the brain/stem. My vision is also affected (double vision), but has greatly improved and increased my dizziness.

I agree with pennstater about vestibular therapy. I had vestibular therapy which was helpful for the dizziness.
                  Diagnosed 1984
                  “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Working...
                  X