need help understanding something

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

need help understanding something

Okay i know i should know this but how do i know if I am having an MS flair? please explain this to me. Thank you

You're drowning us with all the information you provided, OP...

(Tell us everything that's going on, including your diagnosis, meds you might be taking, how long "it" has been going on, etc. and keep in mind we're not your doc. We're just an online forum. Feedback may be sketchy and unreliable, but we'll listen and try to help you out as much as we can.)

Comment

here is some information

okay i have MS.....DX. IN 2000. I TAKE A LOT OF MEDICATIONS THEY ARE tecifidera, advil, celexa, ambien, benadrryl, flomax, flexeril, and antivert. this has been going on for 4 days,

You're drowning us with all the information you provided, OP...

(Tell us everything that's going on, including your diagnosis, meds you might be taking, how long "it" has been going on, etc. and keep in mind we're not your doc. We're just an online forum. Feedback may be sketchy and unreliable, but we'll listen and try to help you out as much as we can.)

Comment

What exactly have you noticed or experienced lately, diguilio? Is it a new symptom or worsening of an old symptom?

The NMSS explains a flare/relapse/exacerbation as- "To be a true exacerbation, the attack must last at least 24 hours and be separated from the previous attack by at least 30 days. Most exacerbations last from a few days to several weeks or even months." http://www.nationalmssociety.org/Tre...aging-Relapses

Another good explanations- http://www.everydayhealth.com/hs/man...t-an-ms-flare/ This article also defines pseudo flares than can be trigger by heated, stress or a having a fever or infection. They are lessened once the trigger is removed.

If you think you are having a flare, it's best to get in touch with your neuro and see if anything can be done! Sometimes with flares you can elect to wait it out. Some take steroids, but it's a personal choice. Regardless, your Dr. should know what's happening.

Take care!
        1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
        Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Originally posted by Seasha View Post
          Is it a new symptom or worsening of an old symptom?

The NMSS explains a flare/relapse/exacerbation as- "To be a true exacerbation, the attack must last at least 24 hours and be separated from the previous attack by at least 30 days. Most exacerbations last from a few days to several weeks or even months." http://www.nationalmssociety.org/Tre...aging-Relapses

Another good explanations- http://www.everydayhealth.com/hs/man...t-an-ms-flare/ This article also defines pseudo flares than can be trigger by heated, stress or a having a fever or infection. They are lessened once the trigger is removed.

If you think you are having a flare, it's best to get in touch with your neuro and see if anything can be done! Sometimes with flares you can elect to wait it out. Some take steroids, but it's a personal choice. Regardless, your Dr. should know what's happening.

Take care!
          Yes; what Seasha says.

The way I look at it, when I have symptoms, it is usually for one of three reasons.

1. It might be a residual symptom. That is a symptom that has become part of my new "norm". It's something that I now live with, regularly, since I have MS.

2. It might be a flare. This is a new symptom, or a return of an old symptom that I began experiencing again. It's out of my "norm". It lasts at least 24 hours and it's been at least 30 days since I had a previous flare.

3. It might be a psuedo-flare. This looks like a flare. And, the symptoms are very real. But, the cause of the symptoms are not a flare. It's caused by heat, stress, a fever, an infection (such as a UTI or other infection), etc.

If you think it's a flare, like Seasha says, it's a good idea to call your doctor, whether or not you wish to treat it with steroids. Doctors like to keep a record of your MS flares.
          ~ Faith
          MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
          (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
          - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
          - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
          - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

This has always been a hard one for me. I've fought this thing since 2001 and I NEVER know what's happening. I feel terrible almost every day of my life. Same symptoms, new stuff, worse than usual, anxiety on top of anxiety... it never ends. I had one neuro who thought I had Progressive Relapsing MS, then she changed her mind.. back and forth. I'm off the shots.... no real difference except I'm not having the weird side effects or the site reactions ( of course ). My MRI's are fairly stable. Once in awhile I have one that says "progression", but nothing ever comes of it. My new doctor tells me I have kind of leveled off, but the damage is done.

Speaking of damage.... Does it continue to multiply if you have leveled off somewhat? Does the damage just go on and on and get worse or does it also level off??
            Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Comment

Working...
            X