Walking in quicksand??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Walking in quicksand??

What is this feeling I get like I'm walking through high water or deep sand. Only happens once in awhile, but I don't know what classification it falls under. It just kind of slows me down and makes it "feel" like I'm trying to walk uphill against the current.
    Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Originally posted by marti View Post
    What is this feeling I get like I'm walking through high water or deep sand. Only happens once in awhile, but I don't know what classification it falls under. It just kind of slows me down and makes it "feel" like I'm trying to walk uphill against the current.
    Hi Marti. I do more reading than posting, but when I read your description I knew exactly what you meant. In my case it is related to heat and the direct Sun. It is particularly bad when heat is reflected from the side of a building or asphalt. I feel that there is a resistance...like I am actually walking against a force. I best analogy is I feel like I am in a swimming pool with water up to my neck and I am trying to walk. Did I mention the pool is heated to 100 degrees

Comment

It's like walking in a vast vat of treacle.

Can't lift my feet; can't stride out, but I can cling to the edges, and drag myself along.

Yay me. Lord have mercy.

Comment

Originally posted by Wonderdog lady View Post
        Hi Marti. I do more reading than posting, but when I read your description I knew exactly what you meant. In my case it is related to heat and the direct Sun. It is particularly bad when heat is reflected from the side of a building or asphalt. I feel that there is a resistance...like I am actually walking against a force. I best analogy is I feel like I am in a swimming pool with water up to my neck and I am trying to walk. Did I mention the pool is heated to 100 degrees

Thank you Wonderdog. Good description. Do you happen to know what this symptom is called? What category it falls into?
        Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Comment

That is one of my main symptoms, and one of the first ones I had with my MS. I can be walking along, and suddenly my right leg will have the sensation you are talking about. I have to stop and lean against something (in my case a cane), and let my leg "reset". For the last few years I also get the sensation in my arms also, when I'm pushing a shopping cart, washing my hair in the shower, or drying it. They suddenly feel like they weigh a thousand pounds!!
          Donna K: dx RRMS 12/07. Rebif 2/08 - 3/09, Tysabri 3/09 - 7/12, ended due to JCV+. Betasaron 8/12 - present
          Filed for SSDI 8/12. Approved 11/12
          dx PPMS 7/13. Added Metotrexate 2.5 mgx3 to Beteseron. Stopped all meds 3/14 to quality for ibudilast clinical trial for PPMS

Comment

I don't know what the medical name is for it but I tell my husband my legs feel like they weigh 500 lbs.
            God Bless Us All

Comment

Originally posted by marti View Post
              I relate to this. It used to happen regularly back in 2010, but now it only comes out when I'm too hot or towards the end of the day when I'm going through a rough bout of symptoms. I don't know what it's called either. You know what? I wonder if it's related to fatigue? The reason I say that is because it's almost like energy levels fall in the legs and feels like you're trudging through sludge. Like they run out of air or something.

Comment

Marti, it's with me all day, every day. It's such an effort to walk anywhere- even with my walker. MS fatigue is describes in the following:

"What does MS fatigue feel like? People with MS describe how fatigue affects them.

It reminds me of falling into quicksand/a swamp - it’s a viscous, heavy, pulling feeling, but if I try to fight it, it hurts like hell and robs me of breath.
                Fatigue feels like being weighed down, as if you are trying to walk up to your neck in a deep, muddy river in heavy, wet clothes carrying shopping bags full of rocks.
                Fatigue feels as if I am an inflatable, and someone has pulled the airstopper out!
                Fatigue leaves me feeling dulled and tired. I find it hard to concentrate and to absorb new ideas, and I’m often confused, searching for the right word, and forgetting things.
                Some days I can almost keep up with my get up and go. Other days I can’t even get up.
                What I find is that no one, but no one, who doesn’t have fatigue from MS has any idea what it’s like."
                https://www.mstrust.org.uk/a-z/fatigue

The last statement is so true!
                1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
                Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Working...
                X