So sick of this heat..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So sick of this heat..

Does the heat bother anyone even when you're not hot?? I mean, I stay in the A/C most of the time, but I still feel something like heat sickness. Lately I'm just sick to my stomach and weak as a kitten. Lots of random leg pain and bouts of numbness.

Can the heat outside make you feel bad when you're on the inside most of the time? Or if you just go out for a short walk around the yard??

I never really had to deal with the heat issues, but not.... wowweee!
    Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Yep, Marti, I'm having problems even when I feel cool. This month my neuropathy symptoms greatly increased. It gets worse as the day goes on. I'm not sure if it's the heat or just being tired. I suspect the heat.

We went to a baseball game recently and I had a lot of problems after even though it was below 90 for most of the game. Usually, I can tolerate temperatures below 90. We have an outdoor concert to attend soon. I am now shopping for a cooling vest. I suspect we will have a very long August!

Comment

Originally posted by KatW View Post
      Yep, Marti, I'm having problems even when I feel cool. This month my neuropathy symptoms greatly increased. It gets worse as the day goes on. I'm not sure if it's the heat or just being tired. I suspect the heat.

We went to a baseball game recently and I had a lot of problems after even though it was below 90 for most of the game. Usually, I can tolerate temperatures below 90. We have an outdoor concert to attend soon. I am now shopping for a cooling vest. I suspect we will have a very long August!

Hey Kat... I've been having that feeling like some sharp toothed bug is biting me all over today. I figure this is neuropathy too. It's been a brutal summer.
      Marti

Comment

I have been becoming more heat 'in' sensitive as I get further on with my MS journey. Most people who do not have this disease, don't know what we're experiencing. Many woman with MS, with whom I have discussed this topic, liken this feeling to going through menopause (hot flashes) . I hate everything about this disease and all that is associated with it .

Comment

I agree this has been a long, long hot summer I feel ,like I'm living in a cave everything closed up and the ac running In my long ms journey this year the heat really bothered me

Let it snow, snow, snow

Shoo
          Shoo

Comment

Marti I noticed this happening to me several years ago.

Since my dh and I know that my internal 'thermostat' doesn't work we have thermometers (digital kind that shows outside and inside readings) set around the house so that I can monitor the actual temperature. I have found that no matter what the actual temperature I am in is that my body is reacting to the outside temperature .

But for me it happens year-round, and I am also cold sensitive . I end up really working against myself in the winter when I FEEL cold so I heat the house up - too hot - and have a reaction to that!

If anyone has found a solution to this I would love to hear it.

Comment

I agree. When it's hot outside I have the AC set at 60 degrees and I still am affected. There have been studies that prove that people with MS get more flares and lesions in the summer.

I just saw my neuro and he called the hospital to get an MRI the same day. I heard him talking to manager of the MRI department and he said, "We have got to get an MRI today. She has MS and it's very SEVERE." He was sure I had PML.

The MRI results showed that there are no new lesions. I knew it was just summer.

If you live in a southern area, I recommend moving north. Since I moved north, it has worked wonders. I was barely able to walk and after living down south. When winter didn't come in 2015 desperation set in. I got on a plane, headed to the furthest city north that still had health care and rented an apartment the same day.

After a winter in the northern climate I can get around with a cane and walk pretty well. When it was snowing I slipped on the ice. To get up I rolled over to a snow bank. Lying in the snow was so soothing❄️❄️❄️

If you are looking for reassurance that you are not the only one, you have company.👥

Comment

I remember reading about some study that discussed how people (with MS and ??) reacted to outside heat, even when the subjects were cool and comfortable inside. The conclusion was that for some unknown reason, the subjects reacted to the elevated outside temperatures, rather than the cooler inside temperatures.

Even though the writer didn't say why that might be (that I recall), I remember thinking that maybe I and others with MS weren't quite so weird after all! Now if someone could tell us how to control that temperature reaction, we could really celebrate.

Comment

The outside heat & inside AC drive me batty. I'm either so hot I want to curl into a ball, or so cold my fingertips are numb. The switch between the two is keeping me beyond exhausted. September can't get here too soon for me.
                  "Hope for the best and plan for the worst. That way, all your surprises will be pleasant."
                  Verin Mathwin, The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan

Comment

Thanks to all of you so far. All very good answers and helpful to me.
                    Marti

Comment

It's quite possible to think you're not hot when you actually are. Have you tried doing things to decrease your internal body temperature like drinking ice cold water, sucking on popsicles, taking a cool shower, etc? I find that my body does not signal for me when I am too warm internally.

Also, when I am in the Luteal Phase of my menstrual cycle when Progesterone is elevated, it is worse.

Comment

Originally posted by jamilea View Post
                        It's quite possible to think you're not hot when you actually are. Have you tried doing things to decrease your internal body temperature like drinking ice cold water, sucking on popsicles, taking a cool shower, etc? I find that my body does not signal for me when I am too warm internally.
                        This is very true for me also.

I learned several years ago that when my body feels the most comfortable (temperature wise) - then it's still too warm for my nerve signals to perform their best.

I have to feel borderline uncomfortable/chilly (but not too chilly) in order for the nerve signals to function most efficiently (to be able to move my arms and legs, and not feel fatigued, nauseous, blurry eyed, cog fogged, etc.)

And I agree that eating or drinking cold stuff does help.

Take Care
                        PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
                        ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

This has been a very hot summer for the whole Country. A lot have been holed up in the AC. I am normally cold intolerant, but the heat this year is wiping me out too. I get hot just looking out the window. 🌷💚🌷
                          Katie
                          "Yep, I have MS, and it does have Me!"
                          "My MS is a Journey for One."
                          Dx: 1999 DMDS: Avonex, Copaxone, Rebif, currently on Tysabri

Comment

With any luck the heat will be over soon, meant to rain all week here and stay mid 80s high 70s. So think the worse may be over in my part of Ohio.

Comment

Originally posted by RedTalon View Post
                              With any luck the heat will be over soon, meant to rain all week here and stay mid 80s high 70s. So think the worse may be over in my part of Ohio.

My sister is in Cleveland and trying to move in all this heat. Ours in Missouri has kind of let up for now. Getting some rain and cooler temps. Hang in there. It will be winter before we know it.
                              Marti

Comment

Working...
                              X