MS and getting a colostomy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MS and getting a colostomy

I have had ms for 16 years. For quality-of-life reasons and to stay home and out of the nursing home I am going to have a colostomy. I see the surgeon this week and am looking forward to the surgery. I have three and four weeks of constipation and then will go unexpectedly. I am 47 and we have a 16-year-old and an 8 year-old. They're both in many activities and I just can't take chances. Is anyone out there in my situation and have a colostomy? Has this been a positive experience?

I have not had to make this serious decision, however, I wanted you to know that I will be thinking of you hoping that you find the best decision for your situation.

Take care and let us know what you decide.

Comment

I'm so confused with trying to respond to all of the responses but I will try...

Thank you very much for
      Originally posted by Tia1 View Post
      I have not had to make this serious decision, however, I wanted you to know that I will be thinking of you hoping that you find the best decision for your situation.

Take care and let us know what you decide.
      A smart person will always catch on, a wise person knows when to let go.

Comment

Hi lpopee,

I'm sorry to hear you're having to go through this.

I have several friends (non MS)
        with long term colostomies or ileostomy. There are new surgeries now that eliminate the need of a outer bag and instead use an inner pouch,made from the patient's tissue. The pros and cons of this, I'm sure, can be discussed with you surgeon.

As far as other MSers with colostomy bags, you might want to use the search engine at the top of the page to search the term colostomy. That might resurrect some archived threads with information.

Having been around this forum for a time, I do recall an MS poster who had had so many issues with constipation that the instead of a colostomy, the surgeon chose to remove a large portion of the intestine and connect what was left directly to her rectum. That was the first and only time I had heard of that, but if I remember correctly it sent her from chronic constipation to diarrhea. I also think there were absorption issues with nutrients. Maybe that person still posts or maybe one of the other oldies (tawanda, snoopy, etc) on the forum can remember more about the case.

I hope you have a favorable outcome from your surgery and am sorry you've been forced into a decision of this magnitude by MS.

Comment

Wrong person

Hi I'm sorry but I received this msg by mistake.

I'm sorry to hear you're having to go through this.

I have several friends (non MS)
          with long term colostomies or ileostomy. There are new surgeries now that eliminate the need of a outer bag and instead use an inner pouch,made from the patient's tissue. The pros and cons of this, I'm sure, can be discussed with you surgeon.

As far as other MSers with colostomy bags, you might want to use the search engine at the top of the page to search the term colostomy. That might resurrect some archived threads with information.

Having been around this forum for a time, I do recall an MS poster who had had so many issues with constipation that the instead of a colostomy, the surgeon chose to remove a large portion of the intestine and connect what was left directly to her rectum. That was the first and only time I had heard of that, but if I remember correctly it sent her from chronic constipation to diarrhea. I also think there were absorption issues with nutrients. Maybe that person still posts or maybe one of the other oldies (tawanda, snoopy, etc) on the forum can remember more about the case.

I hope you have a favorable outcome from your surgery and am sorry you've been forced into a decision of this magnitude by MS.[/QUOTE]
          A smart person will always catch on, a wise person knows when to let go.

Comment

Working...
          X