MS SUCH A FICKLED DISEASE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MS SUCH A FICKLED DISEASE

Unfortunately I have been confined to my wheelchair. My legs were weak, spasticity was horrible and my balance was no existent. Yesterday was much of the same. But today I get out of bed and my legs are back to normal, well my new normal I should say.

So today I left my wheelchair at home and now I'm back on my rollator.

We had a snap the last two weeks and I starting to believe the cold weather had a paralyzingly effect on my legs. For the last three days it has been in the upper 70's and now my legs are as fine as they can be all things being considered.

Has anyone else had cold weather affect their muscles as it did mine? Would be interested in in knowing so I will know what to expect in the future.
    Dx'd 4/1/11. First symptoms in 2001. Avonex 4/11, Copaxone 5/12, Tecfidera 4/13 Gilenya 4/14-10/14 Currently on no DMT's, Started Aubagio 9/21/15. Back on Avonex 10/15

It's hard to beat a person that never gives up.
    Babe Ruth

Originally posted by Waydwnsouth1 View Post
    Has anyone else had cold weather affect their muscles as it did mine? Would be interested in in knowing so I will know what to expect in the future.
    Yes!

I am one whose symptoms are affected by both warm and cold temperatures.

Heat intolerance is a widely known affliction for people with MS, but cold intolerance is much less acknowledged, according to this excellent article in the MS magazine, Momentum. It talks about all the symptoms, as well as the autonomic nervous system.

I was thrilled to see cold intolerance explained, as very few people with MS seem to have this problem. I am pretty much "paralyzed" (so stiff that I can't move) from cold temps.

http://www.momentummagazineonline.co...-up-to-winter/
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Yes, it hits me too -both high and low temps. Low pressure systems and humidity affect me as well. I have Raynaud's too, so cold temps are dreaded. My small window of comfort is 68-74.

Thanks for the link, KoKo - it gives a good explanation!
      1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
      Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Originally posted by Seasha View Post
        Yes, it hits me too -both high and low temps. Low pressure systems and humidity affect me as well. I have Raynaud's too, so cold temps are dreaded. My small window of comfort is 68-74.
        Hi Seasha

Small "window of comfort" is right!

(Might as well toss in the wind too. While I was still working, (pre-mobility aids) I actually had to call off sick a couple of times because of wind. The gusts threw my balance off so much that I couldn't even walk from my apartment to the car.....)
        PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
        ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

oh yes

For me, cold is every bit as bad as heat, if not worse. Rain also has a bad effect on me, and we have had a lot of rain lately. I am looking forward to warmer, dryer weather!

Comment

Thanks for the link to that great article, KoKo!

I have both heat and cold intolerance. Heat afffects me much worse, but the cold is not great, either. It increases my spasticity. On one hand, the spasticity gets so bad, my fingers will clench into a fist. Then they hurt, along with my wrist. Once I warm up, my hand opens up and I can use that hand again.

I have a baclofen pump, so my lower body doesn't respond so drastically to the cold.
            Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

'Pickled' disease ? I don't think so ! I normally like pickled stuff ! But I definitely DON'T like MS ! Pickled or not !

Comment

Working...
              X