Sinus Tachycardia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sinus Tachycardia

Has anyone else experienced sinus tachycardia when in a flare? My heart rate is consistently sitting around the 130 bpm mark and I feel quite gross with it. When I had a flare 18 months ago I had this problem and it resolved soon after the flare did.

I'm guessing it's some kind of autonomic problem and will certainly see my GP if it doesn't resolve in the next week or so but I just wondered whether others have had this?

In the meantime it's a good excuse to take it easy and attack my cross stitch, or a good book.

Originally posted by Poppy7402 View Post
    Has anyone else experienced sinus tachycardia when in a flare? My heart rate is consistently sitting around the 130 bpm mark and I feel quite gross with it. When I had a flare 18 months ago I had this problem and it resolved soon after the flare did.

I'm guessing it's some kind of autonomic problem and will certainly see my GP if it doesn't resolve in the next week or so but I just wondered whether others have had this?

In the meantime it's a good excuse to take it easy and attack my cross stitch, or a good book.
    Sorry to hear your having problems with your heart rate.

I have SVT (supraventricular tachycardia) which is attributed to my MS. I went through all the
    heart tests and the electrocardiologist concluded the SVT was caused by a lesion I have in my
    medulla, so it's an autonomic problem (I have other autonomic issues also...bp, respiration.) I take medication for the SVT on a daily basis, and if it still shows up, I have a med regimen I take, and it usually goes away, if not it means a trip to the ER.

Get the heart tests and let the cardiologist decide what the origin is. There are meds you
    can take for arrythmias.

Hope you get find some answers and get rid of the tachy heart rate soon.

Comment

I have tachycardia and high blood pressure. I see a cardiologist and am on beta blockers. I have no physical reason for the hypertension and tachycardia except MS. My DMT makes my heart rate a little higher.

I agree with rdmc that you should see a cardiologist. It can't be good for your heart to be running fast for so long. My cardiologist even gives me the option of taking the meds only when I need them. It was inconvenient to go in for the Dr. visit and the tests but it was worth it after.

Take care of yourself and Happy New Year!!

Comment

don't wait

Poppy,

Please do not wait to long. This is like your heart running a constant marathon. Call right away and find the source, no matter the source.

Your body does not need the stress of that heart running that fast for that long.
        God Bless and have a good day, Mary

Comment

Similar, but like rdmc I have had SVT from a brain stem lesion. It is currently managed with a beta-blocker (which also helps with my migraines...bonus!)

It can be scary, also exhausting! When the flare started I had a resting pulse of 180+. I went 4 days with the crazy heart rate. But then had an attack of (what I now know was) bilateral trigeminal neuralgia to boot, so I hightailed it to the ER. When I walked in the ER staff ignored me (35-year-old, looks in one piece, etc.)

I told them my face was in terrible pain--also, my heart won't stop pounding...that it had been going on for 4-5 days. They roll their eyes and a triage nurse takes my pulse. and blood pressure. While sitting with the cuff on, I start to feel "funny" and see my pulse has gone to 270+ bpm. Eek!

Oh boy, to sum up, I got the 6-person team ER treatment. I wad given an IV with adenosine & also verapamil 2-3 times, plus a dab of Fentanyl and other stuff. The treatment brought down my heart rate, and I was put on two beta blockers and sent to cardiologist.

My heart is normal, healthy--so decided it must be MS with the TN and autonomic problems indicative of brain stem lesion.

So yes--please get a thorough work up by a good cardiologist. Also, that it's treatable
          RRMS 2011, Copaxone 2011-2013, Tecfidera 2013-current

Comment

i agree fully with Mary. You would do much better to get it sorted asap. Are you on steroids? Happy New Year.

Comment

Originally posted by kelm10 View Post
              Poppy,

Please do not wait to long. This is like your heart running a constant marathon. Call right away and find the source, no matter the source.

Your body does not need the stress of that heart running that fast for that long.
              Hi Poppy,

Did you ever call? That's a dangerously high heart rate. No wonder you aren't feeling well with it!

Mine was over 100 once (can't remember the exact number, but I know it was not anywhere near as high as yours). I was rehabbing in a SNF at the time and it was caught during routine vitals. I felt just fine! But was told I was being sent to the ER, anyway. I asked why and was told any resting heart rate over 100 signalled a problem and needed to be addressed asap by a doctor.

In my case, it turned out I had sepsis. It came from a uti (that was caught early) and was being treated with antibiotics. The infection quickly went to my heart. It all happened so fast. I suppose I'm lucky it was picked up on right away. I was pretty sick for awhile. To boot, had a really bad relapse because of the infections. No steroids because of the infections. Was not a pretty picture. I never did fully recover from that relapse, and years later permanent damage I had from that relapse is becoming apparent. Some new symptoms that went away are coming back ... for good.

My point is that I hope you aren't waiting. Too many bad things can happen if you do.

Best wishes and please update on us on how you are doing.
              Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Yes!

Yes I have sinus tachycardia and I got it right after a tysabri infusion years ago. My heart stared racing and would not stop. I went through a barrage of tests and was diagnosed and put on a beta blocker. Have been fine ever since. Good luck!
                Florida ~ MS Diag. 1998 with optic neuritis.

Comment

Originally posted by Kimba22 View Post
                  Hi Poppy,

Did you ever call? That's a dangerously high heart rate. No wonder you aren't feeling well with it!

Mine was over 100 once (can't remember the exact number, but I know it was not anywhere near as high as yours). I was rehabbing in a SNF at the time and it was caught during routine vitals. I felt just fine! But was told I was being sent to the ER, anyway. I asked why and was told any resting heart rate over 100 signalled a problem and needed to be addressed asap by a doctor.

In my case, it turned out I had sepsis. It came from a uti (that was caught early) and was being treated with antibiotics. The infection quickly went to my heart. It all happened so fast. I suppose I'm lucky it was picked up on right away. I was pretty sick for awhile. To boot, had a really bad relapse because of the infections. No steroids because of the infections. Was not a pretty picture. I never did fully recover from that relapse, and years later permanent damage I had from that relapse is becoming apparent. Some new symptoms that went away are coming back ... for good.

My point is that I hope you aren't waiting. Too many bad things can happen if you do.

Best wishes and please update on us on how you are doing.
                  Hey Kimba,

Sorry to hear you're having residual effects from your old relapse. I've been meaning to ask you a couple pump questions, but I'll do that in another thread.

I just wanted to chime in again to say to Poppy, and anyone else who reads this, to not assume
                  what is or isn't causing the problem, and not to dismiss the symptoms. I was having heart rates that were routinely in the 140s and blood pressure that was consistently being measured in the doctor's office in the 200/100 range. It was often written off as White Coat Syndrome.

KateA2, unfortunately, had the "normal" ER experience (dismissive medical personnel) until they figure out there's a problem. What led to my SVT diagnosis was a high heart rate and weird BP readings (I had called 911) They at first thought it was an anxiety attack until they started monitoring my vitals...then it was lots of people taking care of me, and the SVT showed up on
                  the monitoring j

I just wanted to reiterate to anyone who is dismissing what might be heart or other autonomic problems, get them checked out and don't try to diagnose yourself or what is or isn't causing he issue.

Comment

I finally managed to see my PCP today and have so far had a barrage of blood tests. The results of these will hopefully be through tomorrow. My PCP has also referred me for an ECG and Holter monitoring to see whether we can get to the bottom of it all. Not sure how long I'll have to wait for these but shouldn't be too long.

So, no treatment for now but wait and see what the results of testing is. I still feel gross but happy at least that I've seen my PCP and he commented that "supraventricular tachycardia isn't fatal". I'd already figured that out LOL.

Thanks for all of the responses to my question, they are truly appreciated and reassure me that if the testing can't come up with anything, then it's probably just another 'MS' thing.

Poppy

Comment

I an experiencing sinus tach too

Originally posted by Poppy7402 View Post

I asked my neuro about the correlation of MS and Sinus tach he says its not related. How do you feel now, and what have you used to treat your sinus tach?

Comment

Working...
                      X