Very aggravated right now.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very aggravated right now.

Before accepting Lemtrada treatment, I was asked to agree to monthly blood draws because Genzyme monitors patients for 48 months after infusions to screen for adverse effects (development of autoimmune responses). The costs and administration of the monthly screenings are borne by Genzyme, who to my understanding, chooses a company to make home and office visits to collect the samples for lab testing. Someone keeps dropping the ball.

The company I deal with directly for the draws hails out of Texas, and conducts services on contract. They hand off the assignment to their "branch offices" depending on the patient's locality. Per the Lemtrada agreement, they call the patient, schedule a date and time for a blood draw, then send a person out to collect the samples and send to a lab for testing and reporting to the physician's office.

They have in the past five months bungled four appointments. The branch that was initially assigned to me had some kind of personnel apocalypse wherein people resigned, replacements were hired and trained, then quit, or something. Missed and had to reschedule two collection appointments that way, with much back and forth telephone conversations with people either uninformed about developments as they happened or just willfully dense.

Subsequent fumbles resulted in the Texas people reassigning collections to a branch closer to me and removed from the typical high traffic area of the nearest city (I'm kinda rural). First replacement appointment is scheduled to take place twice in one month, presumably to make up for the calendar obligations of a collection every thirty days. Well, they missed that goal and scheduled two draws in one month. This morning was supposed to be the second draw of the month to make up for a missed draw last month in which I received notification that the samples waited too long to be tested or arrived too late to be tested and were invalid and needed to be resubmitted.

Jaysus. As nurses say, I'm a hard stick because my veins are deep, tiny, and roll. I have one really good vein and it's been getting a real workout for the last twelve years, and they're trying to blow that one.

This morning I called the main office of this company to report that the person scheduled to make the blood draw this morning never showed up. The case manager I spoke with agreed to call me back on my home phone number as soon as she had an explanation for what happened and to reschedule. Ten minutes later one of her underlings called me on my cell phone wanting to, in her words, schedule a blood draw. Not "reschedule," but, "schedule," like it was a completely new call and unrelated to the conversation I had just had with her supervisor. I lost my cool and went off on her for the hot potato case management and lack of effective communications in her office. Typical miscommunication/overhandling of communications/falling all over each other stuff. I flat out refused an additional draw and told them to explain it to my physician's office, which is none too happy with the service anyway. My neuro was griping about them at my last visit.

I wish I could track down whoever made the decision to engage this company's "services" so I could tell them how incompetent this company is, but there are layers upon layers of beurocracy involved, which makes me wish to slap someone into next Tuesday. I have offered to pay for my own blood draws because at least THAT would be reliable. These people couldn't find their own behind with a handful of razor blades.

I am now looking for an email address to my neuro's office so I can entertain them with a more colorful description than this website allows. Fight the power, people.

Wow! so sorry to hear of the run around you're getting. Sounds pretty incompetent!

I don't have any advice, but I'm going to move this over to the Lemtrada forum if it's Ok with you. If not, I can move it back to Gen Q and A forum. Maybe someone else taking this drug has some ideas or suggestions -??

Hope this can get straightened out!
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

All I can do is sit back and laugh. Your story is so typical of the way medical procedures are handled. This is the kind of bureaucracy that clogs up our medical system, wastes time, wastes money and impairs the quality of care patients receive.

Every time a service is contracted out to another company, the link is broken and we, the patient, have to constantly stay on top of the details of our care.

All I can say is that you are not alone in this experience. I have difficult veins, too. The incompetent nurses can't get in them and end up skewing them like a shishkabob.

All we can do is scream and voice our dissatisfaction.

Comment

Originally posted by palmtree View Post
        All I can do is sit back and laugh. Your story is so typical of the way medical procedures are handled. This is the kind of bureaucracy that clogs up our medical system
        ...The incompetent nurses can't get in them and end up skewing them like a shishkabob.
        Thanks. The words "management" and "services" are a red flag to me these days. They tell me I'm about to get substandard care. This system is nothing more than a stupid trend to placate bean counters. Somehow, they're selling these methods of management as a way to shift the cost of doing business onto the care providers (who have to pay for their own gas, presumably, do their own taxes/claim it as a business expense, work for less as contractors as opposed to employees) and yet costs to the patient keep rising. I cannot think it is cost effective to have to continue rescheduling appointments and dealing with irate and now uncooperative clients who have had their very existence trifled with like a mouse by a cat. How much more expensive would it be to fund blood draws in patients willing to travel to the collection site? I have missed numerous personal appointments waiting for personnel that never showed. It almost feels like a situation I might have to bill them for my time. I have considered that.

I am happy to report I have never had an incompetent blood draw nurse.Without fail my nurses have been awesome. The hospital where I had Lemtrada infused had a team of nurses who do nothing but IVs for difficult cases...and they were very good. Lemtrada infusions take two IVs, one each arm, five days straight, so they had to be on their game, and they were.

I wish schedulers and administrators could rise to their level. :-/

Seasha,
        I figured my post would get moved because of the word Lemtrada. I posted in General Questions and Answers because of the higher volume of traffic on that forum, and the likelihood there would be a higher occurrence of people experiencing managed care.

Comment

Good point - I'll move it back!
          1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
          Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Wow, that's terrible. When I talked to my neurologist's office about scheduling my monthly draws for Lemtrada, they basically steered me to a lab that I would have to drive to. I think it's a common problem with these mobile labs. I hope they get it right for you.

Comment

Thanks, alk. I'm not going to hold my breath. The apologies flow like water when I'm on the phone with them, along with assurances that they will correct the problem. Next interaction: same incompetence.

I have an appointment next week with my neuro's nurse practitioner. I am going to try to unravel the system to find out who administers what, who pays for what, who answers to whom. Then I am going to start pulling levers and pushing buttons. I intend to share my dissatisfaction around like a mastiff drools slobber. I may take it up with any regulatory agencies I encounter, if I can use them as leverage.

I am sick of being yanked around.

Comment

Sorry to hear your struggles and I don't think Genzyme would be happy to hear this.

- Do you have an MS Lemtrada one-to-one nurse assigned? I would express these issues to them and ask for help. They have helped me get my mobile labs setup. I also get a monthly reminder letter so you might have contact info in it as well.

- You can go to a lab instead but we've chosen mobile for a reason.

Interesting comment:
                Lemtrada infusions take two IVs, one each arm, five days straight,...
                Why did you have 2 IVs 1 each arm? Mine were all thru 1 arm same spot.

Best wishes to you getting all this resolved.

Comment

Response in original text of your reply, below:
                  Originally posted by pb909 View Post
                  Sorry to hear your struggles and I don't think Genzyme would be happy to hear this.

- Do you have an MS Lemtrada one-to-one nurse assigned? I would express these issues to them and ask for help. They have helped me get my mobile labs setup. I also get a monthly reminder letter so you might have contact info in it as well.

Ironic you should mention that- my One-2-One nurse called me today to ask me about a discrepancy in the lab results (missing results) so I brought her up to date on all the difficulties I've been having. She advised me to consider going to a lab for the tests, which at this point sounds like the only way they're going to get their test results, and more reliable for me not having my schedule messed up by incompetence. She is going to contact my neuro's office tomorrow with the fax number for the LabCorp office nearest to me so that I can begin going there instead. So, problem is possibly resolved.

Interesting comment:
                  Lemtrada infusions take two IVs, one each arm, five days straight,...
                  Why did you have 2 IVs 1 each arm? Mine were all thru 1 arm same spot.

I guess that was the hospital's protocol to prevent having to deal with blown out veins and irritation from the acidity of some of the medications, solumedrol being specifically cited for this. I was not offered input into whether this was a good idea, not that I would have cared either way. A needle's a needle and I'm a hard stick.

Best wishes to you getting all this resolved.

Comment

Originally posted by BadAttitude View Post
                    Response in original text of your reply, below:
                    - good to hear on moving to a solution, and hopefully they'll fix the mobile lab issue for your convenience.

- ok on the multiple sticks! I'm lucky to have good veins.

Comment

New Concerns

I know that the original post is from a couple of years ago, but I saw it online and I have been suffering from similar problems with my in-home blood draw. I don't live in Texas, but I also live in a somewhat rural area. I am not sure if the in-home vendor is the same across the country or if we are both unlucky. Are you able to go to a lab-corp location to get your blood drawn? Did they offer a new in-home vendor?

Any suggestions would be a huge help!

Comment

Originally posted by LaurenC View Post
                        I know that the original post is from a couple of years ago, but I saw it online and I have been suffering from similar problems with my in-home blood draw. I don't live in Texas, but I also live in a somewhat rural area. I am not sure if the in-home vendor is the same across the country or if we are both unlucky. Are you able to go to a lab-corp location to get your blood drawn? Did they offer a new in-home vendor?

Any suggestions would be a huge help!
                        Hi LaurenC

Sorry that you are having problems with in-home blood draw vendors.

I have no experience with that, but just want to welcome you to MS World.

Hope you find a solution!

Take Care
                        PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
                        ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Hi LaurenC and welcome to MSW.

I have been going to LabCorp to have my blood drawn for years. They have never offered an in-home vendor and I have never ask for one but you would think they would have that service.

I know someone that their insurance co. sent a nurse to their home to drawn blood.

Wishing you the best.
                          God Bless Us All

Comment

Lauren C

Get a hold of the Genzyme one to one nurse, and have them help set up what will work for you.
                            God Bless and have a good day, Mary

Comment

change

Sorry was suppose to read MS Lemtrada one-to-one nurse.
                              God Bless and have a good day, Mary

Comment

Working...
                              X