MRI results as opposed to symptoms?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MRI results as opposed to symptoms?

I just recently had a new brain MRI and the results showed no change since my last MRI, making 3 yrs without signs of new or changing lesions, which is of course what everyone would hope for.. I have been on copazone since 2013. My question is, is it possible to feel like symptoms, for example like weakness in legs and memory loss to have increased over the years without there being new lesions?

doglady 7
    Curious in NY
    copaxone since 2013

Originally posted by doglady7 View Post
    My question is, is it possible to feel like symptoms, for example like weakness in legs and memory loss to have increased over the years without there being new lesions?

doglady 7
    Curious in NY
    copaxone since 2013
    Hi doglady ~

Yes, there can be increased symptoms with no new visible lesions. And also there can be new lesions without clinical symptoms.

It's called the Clinical-MRI paradox in MS. This refers to the weak correlation of MRI lesion load with clinical disability.

Sometimes there is axonal damage/neurodegeneration going on that is independent of the visible inflammation, and the MRI's aren't able to detect it.

MS is a weird disease.

Take Care
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Symptoms don't correlate with lesions, of course, the drug companies conveniently use brain lesion load as the marker for success. I had no new brain lesions for 15 years, but plenty of new symptoms, some could be attributed to spinal lesions others not.

Comment

Me, Too

I too, haven't had any new lesions for 3 years and I have new and worsening symptoms. Therefore,
        I'm always afraid that my MS has become progressive. In any case, as others have said, MS is a weird disease.

Comment

Originally posted by KoKo View Post
          Hi doglady ~

Yes, there can be increased symptoms with no new visible lesions. And also there can be new lesions without clinical symptoms.

It's called the Clinical-MRI paradox in MS. This refers to the weak correlation of MRI lesion load with clinical disability.

Sometimes there is axonal damage/neurodegeneration going on that is independent of the visible inflammation, and the MRI's aren't able to detect it.

FINALLY! An explanation to all of this. I have a lot of new and worsening symptoms since my Dx 5 years ago but no "significant MRI changes. Thank you for contributing such great information!

MS is a weird disease.

Take Care
          Oops, my message is threaded into the quote but by sentiments are the same .

Comment

gray matter atrophy vs lesion load

MRI studies have consistently demonstrated that gray matter atrophy shows a stronger correlation with MS disability/progression than either lesions or white matter atrophy.

Looking at gray matter atrophy, rather than just looking at lesion load, may be a more effective outcome measure in clinical trials.

(This info was presented at the (ECTRIMS/ACTRIMS) European and American Committees for Treatment and Research in Multiple Sclerosis.)

Take Care
            PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
            ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Working...
            X