Filter is Gone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Filter is Gone

So my boss pulled me into her office and I assumed it was to wish me a happy birthday which is was and then I thought she was doing my performance review but she said it was something else. A NSFW joke that I told to a male co-worker he repeated to her. Now, the reason I thought this was ok is because the ahem, material that he looks at on a work computer no less I can't even discuss in this forum but you get the idea I am sure. I do have a tendency to just say whatever pops into my head and I always thought it was a choice but now I'm not so sure. I'm also angry this person, who is no shrinking violet, couldn't have just talked to me first. He could have jeopardized my job.

Thankfully, it was just a talk. But, if it was the boss that retired before this one, I am sure things would have gone quite differently and I would be in some hole getting sensitivity training/written up. I didn't throw him under the bus and I did vow to myself to keep it professional at all times even in social situations but I am scared to death that I can't edit what I say very well anymore. My therapist invalidates me at every turn and says things like you seem articulate, you seem normal, so I feel it would be a waste of time to discuss with him.

If it makes you feel any better...everyone's filter is non-existant. We have gotten so PC about everything that whatever comes out of your mouth is wrong. My topics of conversation are limited to the weather and flowers in my garden.

And honestly, if I was working, it would be limited to good morning greetings, work issues and have a nice day. I would have a perpetual smile on that face. None of my fellow co-workers would be my friends...too dangerous. And that is sad.

I think the "water cooler" days are over.

No...its not just your filter....
    Katie
    "Yep, I have MS, and it does have Me!"
    "My MS is a Journey for One."
    Dx: 1999 DMDS: Avonex, Copaxone, Rebif, currently on Tysabri

Comment

I hate those days

It's what i imagine Tourettes syndrome is like, almost like watching unbidden words come out of your mouth. Then sometimes it gets stuck on repeat...saying words and thinking how the heck do I get out of this conversation. Scary in working situations. It would be nice if there were some precursor symptom that let me know when it was going to happen; at least then I could try not to talk for a while.

I'm not (to my knowledge) having one of those days today, so I'm counting my blessings. I have two for the day. The first one is funny cat videos. The second one is that my phone is so smart, it basically finishes text messages for me. When I can't think of the right word it usually guesses right!
      You can't stop washing your feet just because you're afraid you'll fall in the shower.

Comment

Happy Belated birthday...a fellow Libra!

Glad just a talk, but not a birthday present anyone wants. The social aspect is part of what I miss from working, but when I read your post, made me think about the pettiness and politics that I had no patience for.

If you know who your friends are at work, I wouldn't worry about the filter with them. But for anyone that is just a colleague or new, I would be guarded. And anyone who has a tendency to run right to the boss, rather than discussing an issue directly, avoid except direct work interaction.

I would still let your therapist know, just so it gets documented in your medical records. Hopefully nothing comes of it in the future, but if it does, it will show your concern in this area.

I do agree with Katie...political correctness has taken over.

Hope better day today!
        Kathy
        DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Working...
        X