No announcement yet.

why am I nervous?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nobody likes to feel nervous, but it's a feeling that gives us a lot of information about what we have to deal with. You're really, really new to this whole process, so you know there's a deficit of information even though you've got a million questions--what's happening to me, what can I do about it, what's going to happen in the future, how bad is it going to get? You're already working on that because you're actively seeking specialized help. You don't just have to get acquainted with MS, you have to get acquainted with your version of MS because it won't be exactly like anyone else's.

We can feel nervous dealing with doctors because the balance of power seems weighted in their favor. Something about those white coats, the god complex, the impression that they hold the keys to our fate, their country club memberships--whatever--sometimes it can feel like they're the stern teachers and we're the misbehaving students. A relationship with a doctor takes time to develop, but if you truly feel your needs are not being met, find another neurologist. It's kind of like dating--you'll find some mostly OK ones, some real doofuses, but when you find the right one, you'll feel good about the connection.

The thing to remember, no matter how far along you are on your MS journey, is that you don't work for your doctor--he or she works for you. You have a right to advocate for yourself--doctors aren't just doing you a favor. You need a health care partner--as new as you are to this big, messy, confusing disease, fear of the unknown is a sticky thing to deal with. Take a breath--this isn't a sprint, it's a marathon. I was diagnosed 26 years ago--in one year from now, in five or ten years--you'll look back at where you are right now and realize just how strong and determined you were. You can do this.
    Peg

Comment

You rock, Peg!

Comment

Working...
      X