What normally happens when you relapse?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What normally happens when you relapse?

When I first started going to the MS clinic after diagnosis, they made it sound like they would jump through hoops to help me out if I was experiencing a relapse. I felt confident that I made a good choice when I went back there. Unfortunately, now is certainly not the same.

November 1 my left leg got weaker and it never let up. I figured it was probably a pseudo, but then almost half my body went numb a few days later. I called the office that Friday and they got me in the next Tuesday. Of course, his little exam of having me lift my leg and him push on it showed nothing abnormal to him. Walking a whole 5 feet showed nothing as well, so obviously it was a false alarm. We discussed doing an MRI, but he kept asking about my insurance deductible and if it was high that I should wait and do the MRI in January. That's two months after my symptoms started! I told him it's not an issue, so I got the MRI a week later.

I still haven't heard anything back, but I just got the MRI two days ago. I've requested a copy of the radiology report so I can see it for myself, and I imagine I'll get that before I hear from the MS clinic. I looked at the images, but I certainly can't decipher anything. It's almost been 3 weeks since the onset of my symptoms and I feel like contacting the clinic was pointless. I remember someone stated steroids should be started within 2 weeks, so at this point, nothing can be done, although I'm sure nothing would have been done anyway if I was still in that two week period.

I know I've said it before, but clearly I got stuck with a pathetic excuse for a medical "professional" to handle my case. It does make me wonder though, how does it work when someone has a sudden onset of worsening symptoms when they see someone who actually does something about it? I honestly have no clue because it's always been either too early in the disease process before I was diagnosed or it took too long to get in to see someone about it. I guess it should have been a huge red flag when I called the clinic when I had my relapse that led to diagnosis and they said they'd get me in after 3 months. No, I'm not making that up. That's why I left before, but I was stupid and went back. I guess I'm a glutton for punishment.
    Diagnosed 1/4/13
    Avonex 1/25/13-11/14, Gilenya 1/22/15

When it works and you have a good doctor, the process is efficient, quick, and effective. My previous doctor was great. Always responded to my calls right away. Appointment, MRI, and plan all within a day or two. Steroids in the office right after.

With insurance changes two years ago, my new neurologist is as you describe. Doesn't respond to calls, even when my pt called with concerns about me having a relapse. She does a minimal exam very different from my previous one who would be very thorough. It's real frustrating. I feel your pain and discouragement.

Don't know if in the long run it will make a difference in my health and functional ability though. I'm trying to decide if it's worth spending a lot more money to go back to my old one. Will my outcomes really change any?

Comment

Working...
    X