Depth perception problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Depth perception problems

I noticed last night while driving home I was having trouble with my depth perception. Especially while turning corners. I have noticed it before and it really concerned me.

I didn't say anything when I got home I am going to wait until I drive at night again and see how it goes. This has been a long hard week at work so that may be part of the problem.
    I know my DW will ground me if I say something. LOL!!

Has anyone else noticed having this problem? Did it last long or was it just a flash in the pan event?
    Dx'd 4/1/11. First symptoms in 2001. Avonex 4/11, Copaxone 5/12, Tecfidera 4/13 Gilenya 4/14-10/14 Currently on no DMT's, Started Aubagio 9/21/15. Back on Avonex 10/15

It's hard to beat a person that never gives up.
    Babe Ruth

I had depth perception issues that started in early 2012 and unfortunately didn't completely resolve until earlier this year. I was never diagnosed with optic neuritis but clearly something was going on.

Comment

depth perception

Yes I have depth perception problems. I really notice it when getting off the city bus or paratransit here in London Ontario.

Comment

My depth perception hasn't ever been great and is more noticeable now but I wonder if it isn't more about the aging process than MS.
        He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
        Anonymous

Comment

Depth perception

If you wear multi-focal glasses, that may be the problem. Last time I saw my opthamalogist, I asked about difficulty going down stairs and sometimes down escalators. He said it's my glasses. Because, they're multi-focal, when I look down, I'm looking through the wrong part of the lens and can't see clearly. I hope this helps. Liz

Comment

I've had depth perception issues most of my adult life--long before my MS dx. I need a hand rail to go downstairs, and I was a disaster when I tried to join the company softball team. I also need a walking stick when I wade very far into a stream or lake...even though I can walk, run, and dance on solid ground. In wide water, there just aren't enough cues for my other systems to balance.

Several of my non-MS friends have the same issues. We've laughed about the nightmare of finding yourself at the top of an iconic government building with those long wide staircases (and no handrail) and butt-scooting all the way down.

I will say, it got a lot worse after the attack that gave me double vision and got me diagnosed. I don't think it means you can't drive. I had an old relative that lived with blindness in one eye since childhood, and he must have had the exact same challenges.

You just take fewer chances, and everyone behind you in the left turn lane hates you. But we all get home eventually.

Comment

Yes, it's one of my biggest issues. Left eye has been blind (see light and shadows) since 2005.

As I always say, I can clearly see it, it's just not where I see it. People start ducking and covering their heads when I throw the ball for the dog. Needless to say, I haven't driven since losing sight and depth perception is the ONLY reason!

Jen
              RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
              "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

Eight years ago this was part of my first exacerbation. For me it was more about corners and stairs. I would misjudge how close I was to a wall or piece of furniture and walk into it instead of giving myself enough room. Also had a lot of trouble with steps. Often misjudged where my foot was in relation to the next step and often slipped. Dark movie theatres were the worst!

Comment

Working...
                X