Is this a balance issue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this a balance issue?

I'm having a hard time with lightheadedness. This is nothing new for me, but it seems to be worse all the time. If I stand at the kitchen sink or counter... just doing something simple like making a piece of toast.. I get kind of dizzy. Sometimes it actually feels like an unbalanced feeling. I don't think I have vertigo. Just a wavy dizzy, lightheaded feeling.

Of course, I don't know what to do except just sit down and hope it passes. Sometimes it does, other times it just continues for awhile. This has really limited me in my activities lately.

So, what do you think..... dizzy or unbalanced? Maybe it's all the same thing.
    Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Marti - have you checked your blood pressure lately? Why I'm asking is that sometimes low bp can cause this.

My 92 yo dad went through a series of dizziness and almost-fainting spells and found the low bp to be the culprit, when all other testing came back. I have low bp and have experienced the same in years past, but not anymore.

Here's an article from the Mayo Clinic that explains this: http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-c...n/con-20032298

This may not be your problem, but it would be wise to alert your doctor about this. In the meantime, it wouldn't hurt to buy a bp cuff and monitor/record your findings.

Stay safe and let me know what you find out
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Ditto to Martis reply...although my find with dizziness (also just piddling at the kitchen counter) turned out to be my first dx of high bp.

bp pills helped tremendously.

Tho' I still have my usual fish tank head feeling from neuro stuff but the exaggerated new stuff is gone.

Comment

My BP at home is usually on the low side, but my doctor tells me this is good. In the doctor's office ( any of them ) it's sky high, but comes down when the visit is over. I was wondering about dysautonomia. Don't know who does the testing for that or if it's a viable cause. I've had dizziness for years that I always assumed was a MS thing. But it seems to much worse now. More frequent. I've developed several other autoimmune problems since my dx of MS.

Just wondering who else goes thru this kind of thing and what to do about it. If it is low BP.... how do you treat that??
        Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Comment

Low blood pressure unless you have gone a long time without eating, then it could be low blood sugar.

Comment

Marti,

I get similar feeling a lot. BP and blood sugar can be culprits, but mine are normal. Some meds can also cause this. Vertigo is the room is spinning feeling while you are still. I have had that and had to hang onto walls to walk, crawl on the floor, sit to go up and down steps. Only making the distinction because neuro will ask if you felt like things spun around you ( vertigo) versus you felt like you were moving (dizziness).

It is no fun. Hope you feel a little better.
            Kathy
            DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Working...
            X