Cooking has become a problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cooking has become a problem

I never, ever believed that I would be limited in my activities when this ride began. I've done pretty well ( with and without DMDs ), but now the roller coaster is sliding downhill.

I stood at the sink today to cut a few potatoes and put a casserole together. It seems the more I use my arms, the more my chest has spasms and the fatigue sets in quickly.

These spasms have become more frequent and I'm not 100% sure they are related to the MS. I was dx with gastritis which I was just told can be a result of the autoimmune process. I have several AU diseases now.

Anyway, I just wondered if others have problems with cooking or using your arms for activities. Could the chest stuff be fatigue?? Do you need help in the kitchen now??
    Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Originally posted by marti View Post
    I never, ever believed that I would be limited in my activities when this ride began. I've done pretty well ( with and without DMDs ), but now the roller coaster is sliding downhill.

I stood at the sink today to cut a few potatoes and put a casserole together. It seems the more I use my arms, the more my chest has spasms and the fatigue sets in quickly.

These spasms have become more frequent and I'm not 100% sure they are related to the MS. I was dx with gastritis which I was just told can be a result of the autoimmune process. I have several AU diseases now.

Anyway, I just wondered if others have problems with cooking or using your arms for activities. Could the chest stuff be fatigue?? Do you need help in the kitchen now??
    My arms fall asleep, wake up, get numb, get un-numb. Like a rollercoaster indeed! Don't panic...MS is not a sprint but a marathon. Unless your worried about chopping a finger off (I never sharpen my knives, all are extremely dull), do your cooking in stages, make double and freeze half when things are rough, and get fancier when the the cooking spirit moves you. I do everything in stages...at least it gets done...for now. Good luck, Marti.
    Tawanda

Comment

I don't do much cooking but when I do I normally grab a tall chair so I can sit at the counter or stove. I do have issues working above my head my arms get weak almost instantly.

Comment

I noticed cooking becoming more of a problem for me a couple of years ago. Following very simple directions for instant oatmeal that needed to be doubled = a huge challenge.

The direct exposure to heat when heating the oven, heating up the kitchen, not able to stand up correctly due to weakness, etc. I eat more fresh spinach, add it to eggs for quick omlet, or a quick fix asian noodle soup with spinach and/or broccolli, and other ingredients.

Fresh spinach and frozen broccolli are my go to these days for 'small' effort meals. My college age child moved away a few months ago, so that's that. The first thing the child does when she comes over to visit, is look in the empty pots in the kitchen.

I have a few posts here devoted to a history of arm paralysis and painful arms following repetitive arm activity and exercise with hand held weights, or supporing body weight with arms/hands on handle bars while bike riding, etc.

Sorry to hear about your other AI dx, and hope you find alternatives for preparing easy meals.

Comment

Sorry to hear. Would a food processor assist with chopping? I love to cook, but don't have the stamina I did. We are looking at a bar stool with a back for me to use to sit while cooking.

Comment

I never, ever believed that I would be limited in my activities when this ride began.
            Really?? Being limited in activities is what has terrified me the most ever since I heard the horrific words "multiple sclerosis".

I hope this is one of those remitting type things and that you feel better soon.
            He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
            Anonymous

Comment

I used to love cooking. Now, I have no appetite. And then, if I do cook, I eat. And if I do eat, I have to deal with the consequences which are unmentionable. Waking up in a pile of *******, and cleaning and back and forth to the bathroom.

My family tried to help. They bought me a juicer and a food processor. They never considered the clean up part. My hands aren't strong enough to scrub all those little parts to those machines and clean up all the pieces of food on the floor.

I have a maid, but she leaves the juicer for ME to clean up. Too much work for her.

So, I just live on fruit.

Comment

I didn't cook much as my hubby and I had different work schedules, but I made a meal for us on Sundays. Not anymore. Can't remember the last time I did.

I do what I can. I prep food, but not all at once. I spread it out over hours or days. I cannot stand for long and too much totally wipes me out.

My husband helps me out. And brings home chili, soups, and other stuff from a local farmer's market. Those things are a blessing. So easy to heat up.

I do chop veggies and fruits, I must pay real close attention to where my fingers are! My arms do tire but not from preparing food. It's my legs that do me in. We have tried different chairs
                but I can't find one that gets me close enough to the sink and counter top.

Comment

I like cooking but am trying to change my diet slowly. When I cook I do like Twanda does......do it in stages and double or triple a recipe to freeze. If I have family over for dinner. I set the diningroom table the night before, have everything prepped and rest in between stages of what you're doing. Find simple recipes. That may help you out alot. Use a crockpot and make an all-in-one meal. It gets difficult alot of the time. My theme is what doesn't get done today can wait for tomorrow and I was never EVER like that. I'm new into this but am learning to take care of myself and try and be the healthiest I can be.

I hope some of these different options help.

Diagnosed 6-28-14
                  RRMS
                  Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much. ~Helen Keller~

Comment

MSW mentioned broccoli...I discovered how to cook frozen florets right on a plate with a cover in the microwave (no water needed). Same plate you're going to eat it on, and no pot to clean. Sometimes I really cheat and use a paper plate and don't even have to wash that. Lazy, yes, but at least it's healthy and better than eating something over-processed with too much stuff in it that you can't pronounce.
                    PPMS
                    Dx 07/13

Comment

Jo-Bo, I discovered the broccoli trick, too. It tastes really good that way. Thanks for reminding mentioning that.

Comment

Yep, it is good cooked that way, palmtree. The best part to me is less things to wash.

Another easy and healthy food I do in the microwave is veggie burgers. There are all kinds varieties and flavors these days and I don't think they suffer too much from not being cooked in a pan. I'm not a vegetarian, I just like the veggie ones. And cooking a beef burger in the microwave would just be sad.
                        PPMS
                        Dx 07/13

Comment

Working...
                        X