constipation issues.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

constipation issues.

I know that this is a strange issue but I am sure that it affects many of us. What does every one take for it. I take senkot and lactulose liquid. It does not seem to be working for me at all. Does anyone have good results for really bad constipation. please let me know as this is really becoming a problem for me.

I take 400 mg of Magnesium each night and it works great.

Lisa
    Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
    SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
    Tysabri

Comment

Same thing. Senakot didn't work.

A user I met through this forum introduced me to Holy Crap cereal (how discreet) and it worked. It's $$$ though so buying ingredients at your local bulk foods store and mixing it yourself is essential.

This kind of thing is not strange to people with ms... Wahls' diet curing you would be lol
      Sx start May '13 | Dx'd Dec '13 | Tysabri Feb '14 [Neuro's call&saved my life]
      Just because we don't feel flesh, doesn't mean we don't fear death

Comment

Copied and pasted from another one of my posts. You can do straight chia, Holy Crap, Qi'a or a mix of chia, raw buckwheat, and hemp, etc.

-------------

Chia seed pudding but you need to make sure the seeds are fully hydrated and that you continue to drink lots of water.

I just mix a few spoons of chia, hemp and raw buckwheat in a container, lots of soy milk and raisins with a tiny bit of maple syrup or agave and cover and stick in the fridge. You need a lot more liquid to seeds. I don't remember the ratio but I normally check and add more.

The longer you let it soak the more it absorbs. I have an evening system now, but the first day I made it at lunch time and stuck in the fridge for the evening. I usually mix a few days worth eat about 1/3 cup three or four hours before I go to bed. In the mornings, everything moves just fine!

Google for more info -- chia seed pudding constipation

Comment

^^^thats the person who helped me

Liquid to cereal is 2:1 but I add more/eyeball it. Let is sit overnight
          Sx start May '13 | Dx'd Dec '13 | Tysabri Feb '14 [Neuro's call&saved my life]
          Just because we don't feel flesh, doesn't mean we don't fear death

Comment

I have a terrible time with constipation due to slow transit time and several medications I am on. l actually went 7 weeks without a bowel movement last year. I couldn't believe it was medically possible except that it happened to me.

I was on a huge daily dose of verapamil and my bowels do not like verapamil. I was so full of "carp" that I couldn't eat, I looked 9 months pregnant and I was having severe nausea and abdominal pain. It took several jugs of colonoscopy prep and mag citrate to get things moving.

I recently started a new cardiac medication and it is causing the same problem. I saw my GI doc and she prescribed a gastric motility drug called Linzess. It has been a miracle drug for me. I go every day now and the only side effect has been occasional diarrhea.

I always try to go the natural route but that did not work for me. It would be fantastic if it works for you. I take a huge daily dose of magnesium each day, eat really well and am gluten free. I drink 6-8 glasses of water and still nothing.

At on point I was on huge doses of Miralax, Senna, Milk of Magnesia and stool softener but it didn't help. Docs kept pushing Miralax but it has never done anything for me. I was buying it in bulk at Costco and it is not cheap

In my case, it has been, "Better bowels through pharmaceuticals". LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Chowda View Post
              ^^^thats the person who helped me

Liquid to cereal is 2:1 but I add more/eyeball it. Let is sit overnight
              And the good thing is that it is nutritious too!

Comment

I've been taking Miralax for a couple years and just increased it. You might not know it, but you can have bowel movements and still be constipated.

I'm using probiotics and a little Benefiber at times too.
                Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Comment

I have actually had this issue since well before i was diagnosed, but i have worked my way into a decent routine by just taking in a ton of fiber. I start off the day with Kashi Go Lean Crunch cereal. 1 cup of it contains 33 percent of your daily fiber. I do 2 cups worth to really get a lot. As far as super healthy cereals go, it is actually decent tasting.

I then have a cup of metamucil at lunch time, and then a glass of prune juice right before bed. I also do my best to eat some vegetables at every meal. (besides breakfast)

Some days are more satisfying than others, but for the first time in a long time i am at least going every day.

Comment

Hi Tammy Rose. I've had issue for years. I swear to you I've tried everything and I have to be careful because I had a rectal prolapse surgery after a serious accident. At Walmart there is a vegetable laxitve and the brand name is EQUATE! Make sure you get the vegetable laxitve and NOT the stool softner. I take two in the morning with alot of water and 3 at night. The reason I have to take 3 at night is I cannot afford to be constipated at all. I certainly don't want another surgery. Works wonders for me and I drink alot of water during the day. Hope this helps.

Susie

Diagnosed 6-28-14
                    RRMS
                    Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much. ~Helen Keller~

Comment

made doctors PA gave me a recipe to try, it does as follows,
                      8 ounces of prune juice
                      one serving size of applesauce
                      1 tablespoon of wheat germ
                      it worked for me. One key thing is to drink as much water as you can, and when you think you have had enough, correct another glass.
                      Something else that works for me is miralax, I just follow the direction on the bottle.

Good luck to you.
                      hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
                      volunteer
                      MS World
                      hunterd@msworld.org
                      PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Originally posted by marti View Post
                        I've been taking Miralax for a couple years and just increased it. You might not know it, but you can have bowel movements and still be constipated.

I'm using probiotics and a little Benefiber at times too.
                        I had big problems with constipation and my Gastro Dr. told me to use Miralax. That and Benefiber works for me.

Comment

Originally posted by golfore View Post
                          I had big problems with constipation and my Gastro Dr. told me to use Miralax. That and Benefiber works for me.

Yep, they seem to do the trick. Sometimes I worry that I'm getting too much help! I'm always terribly gassy after the Miralax and my abs hurt after I have a bowel movement. That kind of seems backwards.

I don't know if my constipation is a result of the MS or if it is because of the intestinal surgery I had 5 years ago. I really believe they damaged some nerves ( inevitable during surgery ). And then there could be adhesions growing again. But we've run a lot of tests and all my gastro comes up with is IBS.
                          Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Comment

I started taking a probiotic, mr gastro suggested. He said get "gut pro".

When I looked on amazon, I came up with something called "bio-kult" Seems to help my system. It's not cheap either.

I had 2 major spine surgeries last year and all my plumbing has struggled to get back on course. Of course there is always my MS lingering around too,,,,, so who knows waaasssuuuup!!!!!

Comment

Metamucil (smooth texture). 1 tbsp in water every night. Added bonus is it's a complete days worth of fibre for those of us who don't eat a particularly healthy diet.

Jen
                              RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
                              "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

Working...
                              X