billed for phone call

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

billed for phone call

Did anyone ever get billed for a doctor's call? My doctor returned my call last week and I see that it was billed to my insurance company. Never saw this before. I read online that doctors can now use a code for phone calls. I guess it makes sense that they should be paid for their time. But this was a first.

My answer is no, haven't had that happen, but I also can't recall the last time I talked with a doctor directly on the phone. It is usually an assistant who acts as an intermediary.

So let's see, how would you charge, by the minute? Or just per call......

Comment

If it turns out anything like lawyers, who charge for every phone call they make involved with your case, then that sounds rather alarming.

Comment

Interesting...Sadly, I'm not surprised.

Comment

Thanks Obama!
          Sx start May '13 | Dx'd Dec '13 | Tysabri Feb '14 [Neuro's call&saved my life]
          Just because we don't feel flesh, doesn't mean we don't fear death

Comment

I don't think it has anything to do with Obama or Obama Care. I have been charged for the occasional physician phone call, going years back and for doctors to fill out paperwork for state disability, work, etc.

It seems to be haphazard at the clinic I go to. Some docs do and some docs don't. They never charge for a quick phone call, only the longer ones. I guess it is a personal decision whether they charge or not.

The doctors are busy and if they spend an extensive amount of time on the phone with me, I consider it a phone consult. It saves me the time and effort for going in for an expensive doctor's appointment. I can forgo the 44 mile, round trip drive in bad traffic and not waste gas. The amount they charge for a phone call is far less than what they charge for an appointment.

Comment

Originally posted by polopuppy View Post
              I don't think it has anything to do with Obama or Obama Care.
              I'm Canadian. That was a joke. 'Thanks Obama' is a common joke on these internets.
              Not getting it would sort of be Poe's Law Google is our frienemy
              Sx start May '13 | Dx'd Dec '13 | Tysabri Feb '14 [Neuro's call&saved my life]
              Just because we don't feel flesh, doesn't mean we don't fear death

Comment

No worries. I happen to be Canadian but I have lived in California for a long time.

Comment

That has never happened to me, and when I think back to the types of phone calls I've had with my drs, I'd be royally ticked if they billed me for those. Any time I've ever had a question that I called about, they could never give me an answer. I would refuse to pay for "advice" that is not given to me.
                  Diagnosed 1/4/13
                  Avonex 1/25/13-11/14, Gilenya 1/22/15

Comment

Billed for phone call

I agree with you polopuppy. I think this last phone call was a bit longer than usual. It may also be random. Not sure. But in any case I agree that it would have cost me much more for an appointment both in time and money. Still waiting to see what insurance will cover for this charge.

Thanks for your response.

Comment

Originally posted by polopuppy View Post
                      It seems to be haphazard at the clinic I go to. Some docs do and some docs don't. They never charge for a quick phone call, only the longer ones. I guess it is a personal decision whether they charge or not.

The doctors are busy and if they spend an extensive amount of time on the phone with me, I consider it a phone consult. It saves me the time and effort for going in for an expensive doctor's appointment. I can forgo the 44 mile, round trip drive in bad traffic and not waste gas. The amount they charge for a phone call is far less than what they charge for an appointment.
                      It doesn't bother me either.

The thing about phone calls is that providers who are doing their job correctly are obligated to document that they spoke with a patient and the nature of what was discussed etc. This combined with the call itself always results in more time than most people could imagine.
                      He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
                      Anonymous

Comment

From a strictly business POV, time is money.

As others mentioned, even quick phone calls add up as it entails more than just the call -- looking up the file, reading it, documenting, calling more than once if you aren't there, etc.

Comment

At this point, my doctor does not charge for phone calls, but he does charge for any paperwork he fills out for me. He doesn't accept insurance and I pay him out of pocket for each visit and that may be helping to keep costs down since he is running a cash business.

Comment

YUP. I was billed for a phone call where my neurologist decided to order me in Acthar-Gel. I was on the phone with her for maybe 5 mins. Low and behold, a nice little bill comes in the mail a month later. I called the university and had this, what the h*** is this? attitude. I was never there for this date. Why are you charging me.? After months of appeals and frustration, it was explained to me that a doctor can charge an office visit fee or co-pay for a phone call. Ridiculous!

Comment

Interesting. I am on the phone often with my Neuro's nurses, and a lot of paperwork was needed done for me to get a scooter.
                              No charges....yet

Comment

Working...
                              X