Should I rock climb again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I rock climb again

I have rock climbed from 13 years old to 30. I stopped when I started getting sick. I use a cane, can barely walk most days. But once in awhile, I don't know if it's a good day or the pain meds but I can push a little harder. I always end up paying for extra activity the following 3 days but sometimes you just gotta live life, the fun way!

When I have one of those days do you guys think it would be foolish of me to get on the rocks again starting with the shortest easiest climbs? This would be bouldering of course, no ropes, a foot or two off the ground, with a spotter, and you climb around the rock rather than up the rock. I would never climb up anymore, if I fell and the shock to my body being caught by the rope would kill me.

I just feel like if I try people will be like, look she's faking!! Or if she can do that she doesn't need help shopping anymore.

I just want to feel what it was like to be the old me again, even if it hurts.

Does anyone understand what I'm feeling?

If it is totally safe and you don't push yourself too hard, do it! To hell with what others think.

Comment

I get what you are saying.

If it were ME, I would do what you are saying (only a few feet off the ground)

Do you have disability (SSDI)? If you are waiting for it, do NOT rock climb. If someone would spot you doing it or they interviewed someone you know, you COULD be denied.
      Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Comment

Good thinking, I will wait till after my hearing! Lol It should be coming up soon and I just started seeing a new doctor who said he would totally back me up so I'm not stressing about that as much.

Comment

The suggestion to wait until after your disability is approved makes sense, just in case.

All of us have good days and bad days, and probably most of us have done something we love that taxed us, even though we know we will pay for it later. Sometimes it's worth it!

I'd say that once the disability issue is resolved, don't worry about what other people might think. Do those things you enjoy, just maybe with some safety modifications. Hopefully anyone who is helping you with shopping now understands enough about MS by now to know about the good days-bad days stuff, and understands that sometimes you just need to do some of your favorite things even if you pay for it the next 3 days.

Good luck with the SSDI and with the rock climbing!

Comment

I would say go for it if you are able. But I would caution that your disability benefits CAN be taken away if someone turns you in to the authorities.

Comment

Working...
            X