Kidney infections

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kidney infections

I've had 3 kidney infections in the past 3 months. This is new. I have had UTIs previously but never kidney infections.

The new factor in this is that I started Avonex in September. I have not read about kidney infections as a common side effect with this medication. My urologist would like to do a cystoscopy. I'm trying to avoid this procedure.

Any advice or information about your experience preventing kidney infections would be appreciated. I'd also like to know if anyone has developed kidney infections after starting a new DMD or medication. Thanks in advance.

Hi Kat,

Oh dear! So sorry to hear about all those kidney infections. I had one a few years back (think I was on Rebif at that time), but never had a urologist investigate the cause any further back then. A year or so ago I finally had further testing (uro dynamics testing) because of frequent UTI's, which revealed a neurogenic bladder. I still had residual urine after emptying.

I noticed in your last post you mentioned having kidney stones? My guess is that may be the culprit of your kidney infections, not the Avonex. (Other DMT's like Gilenya and Tysabri are known more for contributing to an increase in UTI's) A family member of mine kept getting UTI's, turned out hers were from a fairly large kidney stone. It wasn't until she started getting sick (no pain & a very low grade fever on & off, but couldn't keep any food down) from a full blown bladder infection (and spent a few days in the hospital) that her kidney stone was discovered. What does your urologist think? Have you ever had a cystoscopy? I didn't think it was a big deal, it felt similar to being catherized. I realize there may be some concern about contracting another UTI from the procedure, though. I am happy to report that at least for me, I didn't get one when I had it done (which was when I was getting frequent UTIs).

I hope you and your urologist figure out the cause(s) of your kidney infections! Hang in there, and please let us know what you find out. Here's a link for you as well: http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/kudiseases/pubs/uti_ez/

Take care,
    Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

In October I had the cystocopy done. I am completely numb in that area. I felt absolutely nothing and then he told me he was done and what he had found. I did not even have a chance to be embarassed by the ordeal.

Comment

Originally posted by KatW View Post
        My urologist would like to do a cystoscopy. I'm trying to avoid this procedure.
        Hello KatW,

I have had the procedure done and honestly it was not that bad. In my case, the procedure took less than 5 minutes and the only discomfort I had was a little bit of stinging.

Although I have had numerous, way too many too count, UTIs I have never had a Kidney infection.

Best wishes and take care
        Diagnosed 1984
        “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

I've also had too many to count UTIs, more than I can remember number of tests to determine the cause of my untreatable UTIs.

Thankfully no indication of kidney stones, infections or damage, although the bladder is now a constant problem but I don't have UTIs with the frequency or regularity that I once did.

I was treated by a Urologist in my mid 20s', had medication 'administered' directly into my bladder 2x weekly for approx. 1 month.

Wishing you the best.

Comment

Working...
          X