Kitchen chores make me dizzy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kitchen chores make me dizzy

Does chopping veggies etc make you feel lightheaded? It seems like everything I try to do in the kitchen only gets halfway done because I have to stop for awhile.

I took my blood pressure when I started feeling woozy and it was fine. So I assume if our blood pressure is good then the dizziness must be MS-related.

I really hate that I can't do the things I used to do so easily. And I have a huge list in my mind of things that need to be done around here! They will never get done. Aging and MS do not mix!
    Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Hi Marti,
    I saw the title to your thread and just had to read it.

I'm glad that I'm not the only one that has "issues" in the kitchen. My kitchen is very small and the layout is not ideal. From getting stuff out of the fridge, to the stove and back to the sink or whatever can be so frustrating.

More than once I've had to stop, make the head stop spinning and then start over.

I do have visually provoked vertigo/dizzy issues with MS, so it definitely is a possibility. We are looking at a new light as well as the one I have is florescent and that can be an issue too.

So don't feel that you are alone with this issue. I image that there are more of us out there. Hang in there, do what you can, how you can do it and don't be afraid to ask for a little help every now and then.

If anything, I told my husband it is a sign that I should not be in the kitchen...........

Comment

Heat makes my kitchen chores worse. I don't tolerate cold water, even for hand washing, I avoid nearly everything cold, but hot water adds to my difficulties in the kitchen.

If I'm cooking, there's that additional heat. I get weak and can't stand for long periods of time.

When I can't take the heat, I get out of the kitchen.

Comment

I get exhausted cooking. I sit down a lot and try and maximize efficiency, but still get exhausted/weak/dizzy.

Comment

a possibility

Having an Occupational therapist come and review your kitchen setting, and the way that you work to see if it can conserve your energy.

Trying different lighting like kittymom suggested may help. The other thing that might help is yellow sunglasses. The lights may be enough to cause visual disturbances and the yellow glasses might help with this.
          God Bless and have a good day, Mary

Comment

Lightheaded

I don't have any problem getting lightheaded in the kitchen, but I did sometimes get it when folding laundry.

At first I just chalked it up to the fact that I don't like folding laundry. But then I realized when I bent over to pull clothes out of the dryer, I wasn't taking full breaths (because my belly fat was getting in the way). When I remembered to take a couple of good breaths before pulling stuff out of the dryer (and lost some weight), it got better.

Check with your doctor; it could be something as easy to fix as it was for me.

Comment

Working...
            X