Food poisoning and m.s.?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Food poisoning and m.s.?

I just heard on the news that there may be a link between food poisoning and m.s. I remember being really nauseated and could barely even drink water just prior to all my m.s symptoms starting! Any of you experience the same? They may be on to something.

I have never had food poisoning and have MS.

Comment

I've had food poisoning a few times, thanks to my love of fast food, but well after the MS showed up.

Comment

Originally posted by HobbitHead View Post
        I have never had food poisoning and have MS.
        Same here. No history of food poisoning.

Comment

The food poisoning the researchers are looking into is a strain of C. perfringens bacteria. Specifically, they're looking at a rare toxin produced by some strains of the bacteria.

I looked up the symptoms of C. perfringens and it's very likely people could miss being infected with it. According to the CDC, it typically doesn't cause vomiting or fever, just stomach cramps and diarrhea. It usually passes on its own in less than 24 hours.
          I've skipped going to the doctor for stomach bugs that caused far worse symptoms than this one.

A lot more research is needed, but it is interesting and sounds promising.
          Optic Neuritis in 2004, Dx with RRMS in 2012. Copaxone, Sept. 2012 - September 2013. Gilenya, February 2014 -

Comment

Thanks koshtoo!

I was starting to think I was the only person who has heard of this.:

Comment

I went to a block party two years ago during Labor Day and got so sick I was hallucinating on the bathroom floor. I keyed in my mother's phone number so I could tell her to dial 911. It cleared up in two days. Ah well, if true I knew Philadelphia would kill me in the end.

Comment

Working...
              X