Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Poll: anyone here drink alcohol and coffee and NOT get relapses?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And also, not get symptoms either?

Hi,
    Wow what a response. As the OP, I should have included in my original query, though maybe I thought it was assumed, but maybe not with all the responses.

But I also want to know if you drink coffee/alcohol (and there's so many other foods listed as causing inflammation like gluten, soy, dairy, sugar, certain amounts of fat etc) and NOT get symptoms. The theories out there are that these things cause inflammation which can either cause symptoms or MS progression.

So just curious if anyone out there is symptom free and does drink coffee/alcohol or even the popular supposed problematic foods above. Terry Wahls, Ann Boroch, OMS diet and Swank diet all have slightly overlapping theories about this.

thanks for the responses! Didn't mean to make this a top post, but i wanted to try to do whatever to avoid symptoms and relapses but wasn't sure of the truth of what I read. Those people somehow got cured, but not sure if it's just 'cuz they are "mild prognosis"? I don't know how to explain Wahl's rebounded from her later stage MS, but she says it's diet.

Comment

Wahl also uses electrical stimulation and is doing a study on people who are doing both diet and e-stim. I don't know how you can do an accurate study when you have more than one variable. She isn't cured but she no longer uses a wheelchair.

Comment

Not me.....

I drink a cup of coffee a day, not always but a lot. It seems to take the edge of the fatigue. I do not drink alcohol. I am dizzy and confused enough, thank you.
        Originally posted by OrangeMetal View Post
        Hello,
        I'm trying to sort through 2 different opinions. Some naturopaths and other seemingly knowledegable doctors say that drinking alcohol WILL cause a relapse, that it's like pouring clorox on your nerves and will cause inflammation. The same with coffee, but maybe not that severe clorox analogy.

I would like to know if there's anyone out there who drinks coffee and alcohol and does NOT get relapses. My neuro has a little guide to MS and says he sees nothing wrong with coffee and beer.

I have been dxed with a "mild prognosis" for my MS. I had one relapse in the spring which resulted in a dx I was completely unaware of. I read some of these MS books and quit coffee and alcohol and other stuff (gluten soy sugar) and haven't had a relapse since but am not sure what's really helping. I am on Tec.

I do shudder to think of the clorox on myelin analogy so I'd like to know if anyone knows if that is true based on anything out there. I don't have any other symptoms except for mild Lhermite's sign.

I would also like to know if people have quit sugar, gluten, soy, GMO foods, wheat, yeast -- which according to some of these naturopaths cause inflammation and then cause relapses. There are books that say people have done this and improved. Is this true?

Comment

I was diagnosed CIS since early Jun 2013. I immediately realised that the neuros placed no real value in lifestyle changes, and at the same time I realised I had many changes to make.

I started on a Wahls/swank diet immediately and eliminated foods that cuased intolerance. I now realise that for the past 10 or so years I have not been having "normal" digestions. I also started exercising regularly, sleeping a minimun of 6-8 hours and trying to stress less. This is basically all very similar to Paleo, and after Reading up on it (and knowing how the pharma industry Works) I do believe that there is a lot more to our lifestly than we want to admit or credit. I also take several supplements and LDN.

Private testing has also found posible Lyme, heavy metals (mercury and lead are high, especially the later) and candida in stools, so I still have some improvements left especially gut-flora wise.

I agreed with neuro that I would start meds if there was progression in lesions or relapses. I need to organise my 9 month scan for this coming month. There was no leasion progression at 5 months (but I know its not a lot of time).

I have worked for the pharma industry and im slightly doubtful about the meds, but I have come to realise that this is such a mult-faceted disease that im sure the meds do help some but not others. In fact I know of people or started getting worse as son as they started on the meds. Most neuros admit that its hard to know a persons "true" relapse frequency when a) they are put on meds straight away after the first clear relapse b) they do not control lifestyle changes and so do not know to what extent these are helping. I guess there are people who have had several relapse before they seek help or a diagnosis. They then decide they are not going to make any lifestyle or other improvements to their health, and start the meds. Clearly these are the only (few?) types of patients who can objetively confirm if meds help or not.

Oh, and in reply to your question...I used to drink about 2-3 expresos a day, and only some alcohol on weekends. I now only drink a coffee or two at the weekend, and alcohol usually only on special ocassions.

Sorry for the rant. I still read many posts here becuase its not easy to decide not start the meds. I also wonder how many "benign" MSers are active on these boards. My experience is that those less affected by MS arent active on these kind of fórums, and to be honest it is logical and makes sense.

Comment

I don't drink but maybe 2x a year and maybe 2 drinks each time but coffee I love starbucks and my normal coffee but I don't drink it a lot but cafeen I love. I have had no issues. My neuro has never told me to stop nor has she told me to quit smoking either. I eat what I want even as a diabetic and have no problems with my MS but I haven't had another MRI sense Aug 2013

Comment

Alcohol & Coffee Intake

My most disruptive symtom is dizziness. I found out by accident if I have a beer, it IMPROVES my symptoms. Almost, shamefully I mentioned to my neuro who smiled and agreed. He explained the alcohol depresses our overactive nervous system. Thus, my symptom improvement. I also stop in Starbucks every day. I sip on my drink, although it makes me spin. Oh well, it's worth it. I had one major relapse in 2010, and none since. (Although, I didn't rebound to my formal normal)

Comment

I agree with Thinkimjob.

I was diagnosed in 1981. RRMS for 20 years, who knows in the 13 years since. Throughout, I've drunk alcohol, shunned alcohol and settled in to a glass and a splash of wine with dinner.

Mornings, I have given up coffee and tea but alternating between them pleases me most.

My advice: eat healthy, take good care of yourself and live Life to the fullest.

Comment

Both Alcohol and Coffee

Until last year when I had to give it up because it was destroying my liver, I spent years drinking three to five drinks most nights. I then drank one or two cups of coffee to wake back up in the morning.

I was initially diagnosed with "fulminate" M.S., but that was later changed to relapsing-remitting. My last symptomatic exacerbation was November 2007. My last one that was proven by MRI, but produced no symptoms was prior to March 2009.

Except for optic neuritis and some speech problems that show up irregularly, all of my symptoms have remitted. In my case at least, neither alcohol nor coffee seem to bother my M.S.

But I will also caution anyone who is drinking five drinks a day to get help because it will kill you in ways totally unrelated to your M.S.

Comment

Just read this string of posts and that pretty much sums it up. I don't think we have any answers, sorry to say. But, whatever seems to work for each individual, I say, go for it. My DH has quit coffee, as he has "lost the taste for it." But he enjoys a glass or even two of wine or beer most nights. Who am I to tell him he shouldn't? It relieves some of the stress of this crazy world and crazy disease. We are vigilant about eating healthy; avoiding red meats, including lots of vegetables and fruits in our diet.

Comment

I actually think back and from when symptoms first started at 29 until when I started to have relapses and more symptomatic at 42, I did much better when I drank alcohol. Of course I know that is not the case and I was very fortunate in my disease course.

I have never been a coffee drinker, but multiple cups of tea a day back then, and now.

I think most doctors just recommend a healthy, balanced diet that is a lifestyle. If you find that you feel better eliminating certain foods, then go ahead. Just make sure your neuro does regular blood work to monitor and make sure you don't need additional supplements.

Good luck to you. People here are very knowledgeable and willing to share their experience. Hope you continue to post.
                      Kathy
                      DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

alcohol and coffee and not getting relapses

I enjoy at least one-two cups of coffee a day because they give me the boost I need to get going in the am. I enjoy it and have never been told to cut it out. I do not drink anymore throughout the day. I also have cut my consumption of alcohol because I am on Avonex and have had some liver enzyme elevation. I have one-4 drinks a month at the most and have found if I consume more I feel absolutely horrible. I have never been a heavy alcohol consumer but did like my red wine with dinner so have cut it out altogether and now only drink an occassional rum punch or pina colada. I think as I age it's healthier anyway. I do try not to consume a lot of sugar but have a weakness for chocolate so I just watch it. I have tried gluten free and do not use soy-also switched to coconut oil for cooking which I would recommend for everyone

Comment

I agree

I do believe that a bad diet can cause you to have more symptoms. I'm on Tysabri right now and with that can eat or drink whatever I want to and it doesn't seem to have any effect on my MS, but for the 8 years prior I wasn't on any disease-modifying meds and would notice things like this. For me, eating junk food (boxed, processed, etc.) consistently would definitely cause me to have more symptoms. I've never noticed any problems with alcohol or coffee but I think the same general principle applies, garbage in = garbage out.

Laura
                          <~~~ I'm thinking of sunshine and spring!!

Comment

I drink regularly, about 7-10 beers a week. I find that a beer a night actually helps me relax and seems to help with the spasticity in my right leg.

As for coffee? Never a fan.

I was gluten-free for a while and noticed no difference. However, since adding gluten back in extreme moderation, I noticed my fatigue is a little better.
                            Diagnosed with RRMS on 3/15/2013...beware the ides of March!
                            Rebif from 5/2013 - 09/2014.
                            Gilenya since 11/2014.
                            Also taking vitamin D3, fish oil, magnesium, and B12.
                            EDSS 3.

Comment

Working...
                            X