Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Poll: anyone here drink alcohol and coffee and NOT get relapses?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Poll: anyone here drink alcohol and coffee and NOT get relapses?

Hello,
    I'm trying to sort through 2 different opinions. Some naturopaths and other seemingly knowledegable doctors say that drinking alcohol WILL cause a relapse, that it's like pouring clorox on your nerves and will cause inflammation. The same with coffee, but maybe not that severe clorox analogy.

I would like to know if there's anyone out there who drinks coffee and alcohol and does NOT get relapses. My neuro has a little guide to MS and says he sees nothing wrong with coffee and beer.

I have been dxed with a "mild prognosis" for my MS. I had one relapse in the spring which resulted in a dx I was completely unaware of. I read some of these MS books and quit coffee and alcohol and other stuff (gluten soy sugar) and haven't had a relapse since but am not sure what's really helping. I am on Tec.

I do shudder to think of the clorox on myelin analogy so I'd like to know if anyone knows if that is true based on anything out there. I don't have any other symptoms except for mild Lhermite's sign.

I would also like to know if people have quit sugar, gluten, soy, GMO foods, wheat, yeast -- which according to some of these naturopaths cause inflammation and then cause relapses. There are books that say people have done this and improved. Is this true?

I drink several cups of coffee a day without any impact. Also have a magarita when we go out for Mexcan food....which is one of our favorite Friday night dinners out...often but not every week. No relapses from either for me.
    Susie

Eph 3:20-21

Comment

Hello OrangeMetal

I do drink coffee but do not drink any alcohol ...my balance is already 'compromised' and I don't want to add to it.. I am considered 'in remission'.

If you eat healthy, you will do better. Cutting out sugar is always a good thing. I probably eat too much soy to replace protein from meat.

I hope you continue in 'remission' until a cure for this MonSter is discovered.

Take care
      Susan......... Beta Babe since 1994....I did improve "What you see depends on where you're standing" from American Prayer by Dave Stewart

Comment

Coffee

I drink 4 cups a day, big cups and nothing to report. I don't drink so I can't tell you anything about that

Comment

If drinking coffee or alcohol was like pouring Clorox on your nerves, I'd be expecting a more immediate reaction.

No neurologist has ever told me not to drink either of the two, and I've seen quite a few over the years.

Depending on the "Cure MS the Natural Way" style book you read, at various times naturopaths have said: no alcohol, no caffeine, no soda, no dairy, no soy, no bottled water, no tap water, no red meat, no butter, no margarine, no grain, no orange vegetables, no acidic fruit, etc etc etc.

No one can tell you what actually caused a flare, because no one really knows. If they knew, they could work out how to put an end to MS.

All things in moderation, and moderation in all things.

I think very strict diets give a false sense of control.

Comment

I drink a cup or two of coffee every day. I've been doing so since I was diagnosed at 19, 14 years ago. A cup of coffee in the morning greatly increases my quality of life I don't drink alcohol at all.

As for other food, I did cut out dairy, gluten and sugar a year and a half ago, when I actually had my first serious relapses. The only thing I can say for sure about my new super healthy, vegetable dominated diet is that I feel so so so much better.

I know there are lots of anti inflammatory benefits to vegetables, fruit, fish etc.., and I do now that feeling healthier overall can't be a bad thing. I'm not sure what impact it has on my MS. There's no direct way to measure it. Even if my next MRI is a big improvement, it will be credited to the DMD I am on.

It would be nice if someone could find the cause of MS so we wouldn't all be in the dark as to what we should and shouldn't do, eh?

Comment

Hello OrangeMetal,

Below are some articles that will better explains, exacerbations and causes:
              http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2824954/

http://www.unitedspinal.org/msscene/...e-and-they-go/

http://www.nationalmssociety.org/abo...ons/index.aspx

You can drink coffee and alcohol and not have an exacerbation (relapse, attack, flare-up). You can do everything "right" and have an exacerbation or progression of the disease.

Alcohol should be used with caution or not at all when using some medications. Always check with your Dr. or Pharmacist for interactions.

Alcohol affects the Central Nervous System(CNS) and so does MS. Some with MS have no problems with alcohol and some do.

I am one of those who has a problem due to the affects on the CNS. As little as 2 sips will sometimes cause flushing and nausea. Of course, if I am able to drink even one drink my balance gets worse

Even when I could tolerate alcohol I drank very little. Alcoholism runs on both sides of my family.

I drink coffee but not very much. Stimulants, coffee included, causes more fatigue for me. Many use coffee (caffeine) to help with fatigue.
              Diagnosed 1984
              “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

I drink coffee every day. I don't drink alcohol because it just doesn't agree with all the meds. I have tried and not felt well the next day no relapse just cruddy.

I don't do dairy (except for yogurt every day) I don't eat red meat. I minimize sugar except in my coffee.

I think in general if you eat healthier you will feel healthier.

I agree with THINK if they knew what causes it they could fix it.

Good Luck!!!!
                DIAGNOSED=2012
                ISSUES LONG BEFORE
                REBIF 1 YEAR

Comment

I'm PPMS so my opinion on relapses doesn't matter...

These days, some are claiming that both coffee and alcohol can have some positive health effects, in moderation as Thinkimjob has already said. Since I don't have relapses, I can't say anything about that.

(Sometimes I think that with anything that's enjoyable, there's always someone who's itching to find something wrong with it )
                  PPMS
                  Dx 07/13

Comment

I drink coffee every morning, same as before I had MS.

I drink a lot less alcohol now, to be safe due to the impact of the meds on my liver, and also because even after a single glass of wine, I tend to have a more sluggish morning the next day. I save my alcohol for the weekends or when I am not rising early to exercise, that is, when I can loll around in the morning and not be late for work!

It's more a QOL/priorities issue than an MS issue for me.

Comment

I like R and R, Yukon Jack, Southern Comfort and smokey little bars on cold winter days.

I drink a pot of perked not drip coffee in the morning and a triple sugar free breve daily.

I don't eat gluten or sugar and I eat all organic foods. I do that because I feel much better on that type of diet and feeling better overall is a good thing.

I have to agree with j-Bo that if something is enjoyable someone is going to tell you it is bad for you.

Your disease is going to progress or it is not. And I also agree that for me taking the DMD is the most important factor.

J
                      Diagnosed with MS spring 2010; Still loving life

Comment

Double ditto what justacowgirl said.

When I was first diagnosed, I did everything including supplements, gluten free, dairy free, organic, you name it because I just knew I would be the 1st person who would stop my MS in its tracks. Three years later, not so much.

After I realized I was still progressing, I decided I would not deny myself those things in life I really enjoy. For me, coffee and alcohol have produced no relapses. Of course, I'm older and have come to believe I'm out of the "inflammation" stage. So perhaps when you're younger they might have an impact. I continue those items I don't mind. Otherwise, I continue with life as my MS progresses.

Comment

Originally posted by Thinkimjob
                          I think very strict diets give a false sense of control.
                          Originally posted by justacowgirl
                          Your disease is going to progress or it is not. And I also agree that for me taking the DMD is the most important factor.
                          ^^ These two comments. Yes!

I don't drink alcohol, drink 1 cup of coffee a day, have been vegan for years, don't catch colds or the flu, have done gluten free, raw, superfoods, etc., live a pretty healthy life ' exercise to my ability, and I still got MS and am still progressing (I'm PPMS).

Comment

Studies show that coffee drinkers postpone disability
                            by seven years- I drink 2-3 cups a day, but not late enough to cause insomnia.
                            A recent study showed an inverse alcohol-MS relationship i.e. moderate alcohol consumption does not cause damage.

Alcohol is liquid sugar and sugar does cause inflammation throughout the body. I would think that is why occasional imbibing is ok but not a daily habit.

There is a positive caffeine - cognition association.

I´ve ditched gluten, all milk products and have cut way back on all sugars.

Comment

hello ru4cats

Originally posted by ru4cats View Post
                              Double ditto what justacowgirl said.

When I was first diagnosed, I did everything including supplements, gluten free, dairy free, organic, you name it because I just knew I would be the 1st person who would stop my MS in its tracks. Three years later, not so much.

After I realized I was still progressing, I decided I would not deny myself those things in life I really enjoy. For me, coffee and alcohol have produced no relapses. Of course, I'm older and have come to believe I'm out of the "inflammation" stage. So perhaps when you're younger they might have an impact. I continue those items I don't mind. Otherwise, I continue with life as my MS progresses.
                              ru4Cats, i am still a newbie at all of this. when you say you realized you were still progressing (and others on this chain who say that) do you mean you were getting more symptoms and affects, or do you mean in the back of your head you knew you were still progressing, but you were not having symptoms.

i hear we are always progressing, but we may not "feel" it? if it's silent lesions and such?

i'm still new at the terminology and articulating this so i apologize if this seems very general for those who have been on this listserv longer than me.

Comment

Working...
                              X