Does everyone here eat super healthy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does everyone here eat super healthy?

Just fyi...I am just a limbo lander...but I was just wondering about this. I keep reading about how dairy, sugar, and gluten, can make autoimmune symptoms worse.

Actually, I am already a pretty healthy eater because my body is sensitive to most foods anyway, even some healthy ones. But, I am trying to do anything I can, to decrease these symptoms, so I have been trying extra hard lately, to be 'really good', and my symptoms DO seem better (but they don't go away completely), and then, like now, we are in NM to close on a house (because the extreme SD cold messes with our health too much!), and I have splurged a bit on some great NM food...and I am beginning to notice some symptoms returning (I also wonder if the emotional stress re. the new house is causing some of the increased symptoms).

So, I keep kicking myself, saying that I am just not disciplined enough, and that I am 'causing' all of my symptoms myself, solely because of eating foods I shouldn't. I know logically that probably isn't the case, but I was brought up in such a way that I end up 'blaming' myself for everything, it seems...I am so screwed up...lol!

Anyway...I hope I even made sense, here...my brain is so fuzzy right now. Thanks for listening, all...sorry for the vent. Love and Light...Jan.

I eat pretty healthy and have done for years before I started having symptoms. I splurge and eat junky stuff from time to time but it makes zero difference in how I feel when I do.

Eating well hasn't slowed my progression that I know of but who knows what shape I'd be in if all I ate was junk

Comment

Hi Jan!

Well, I try to eat super healthy, but yes, I cheat...but I try to cheat in a healthy way. . I have been gluten free for about 7 years...before my MS dx. I have tried totally eliminating dairy, but didn't notice too much of a difference, I eat some dairy but keep it limited and/or use rice or almond milk. I dont eat fast food, except places like chipotle or another healthy casual chain.

When I first was diagnosed with MS almost five years ago, i tried to control my illness by strictly managing my diet. I read about all these cures or remissions of MS through diet and I was determined that would be me. Well, it wasn't. I feel better now after a couple of really tough years, and I thinking eating healthy has benefits, but I think it is mostly the ebb and flow of this crazy and unpredictable disease and thankfuly today I am in a much better place. Actually, I don't think my eating made too much of a difference in my MS and now think I was actually trying to control something in my life since everything else, mostly my MS, was so out of control.

(Exception to above is gluten...my doc thinks I was probably celiac and has recommended I stay gluten free.)

Most of my veggies are organic...thus, i only get what is in season because otherwise it just costs too much. I go to a local chain that carries reasonable priced organics. For fun I eat frozen Rice or Almond Bites, Greek yogurt with agave, honey or maple syrup (pure) with cinnamon, veggies and fruit smoothies (kale and carrots with strawberries, banana and orange), organic dairy free chocolate chips, Kind Bars and coffee with organic sugar and a little organic milk. My daughter loves to bake so I have to try her creations from time to time too! .

Life is meant to be enjoyed....so indulge a little...and listen to how your body responds...we are each different.

(My husband grandmother lived to 98 years...she didn't eat super healthy but didn't eat bad either...she always served bacon and homemade sugar cookies when we visited.....sometimes it is just the cards we are dealt.)

That all said, I think exercise is really good for my MS and has really helped my body and mind with this disease. Sometimes I could only walk down the street or around the block, but I have always tried to do something at least 5 days a week. Honestly, I think that has done more for helping my MS than my diet.

Best wishes Jan! It is really, really hard to be in limbo and not know what is going on with your body. Try to take it day by day (or hour by hour if necesaary) and be good to yourself...just do the best you can each day! In truth that is what we all really do. Hugs!

(sorry I rambled and this got so long....)

Comment

Originally posted by gazdajl View Post
        So, I keep kicking myself, saying that I am just not disciplined enough, and that I am 'causing' all of my symptoms myself, solely because of eating foods I shouldn't. I know logically that probably isn't the case, but I was brought up in such a way that I end up 'blaming' myself for everything, it seems...I am so screwed up...lol!
        My counselor tells me that this is yet another form of denial ... moving to "I am causing this" since, being in limbo, there is no other explanation at hand. Obviously, I've BTDT ... ... still doing it ...

For what it's worth .

Comment

Just my theory from my personal experience- I had a nasty round 1 flare and that left damage. If I accidentally eat a milk product, even a tiny bit, I get sx that are related to the initial flare- buzzing, leg cramps. I went GF within 2 months of the dx and tested it two or three times with nasty sx- migraine, stomach pain. I have seen a correlation between sugar consumption and leg spasms. Please do read
          Terry Whals´website and George Jelinek´s site in regards to nutrition.
          I also take a lot of supplements. We´ll never have the scientific experiment to know if these measures truly mattered, but I´d hate to give up the chance of avoiding disability due to lack of willingness to change my diet. The NYTimes devoted the April 2011 mid-month issue to sugar (whether in the form of crystals or syrups) and just how inflammatory it is. Do be aware that many GF products have tapioca flour as the main ingredient and this is almost as bad as sugar. Look at the carb content of the GF products and if it is really high, you are basically substituting simple refined carbs for sugar.
          Best case scenario- you change your diet, your sx subside and you never get the MS dx.

Comment

We eat all organic and I think that has made a huge difference in my well being but not necessarily to my MS symptoms.

We get a box of organic vegs delivered weekly. They are very good and much more reasonable than our local grocery store.

Being gluten free has dropped much poundage off of me and so I exercise daily by walking. I have to agree that for symptom management I think the exercise probably has done the most for me.

I do what I can for overall health. I don't try to manage my ms with my diet. But that is me!

J
            Diagnosed with MS spring 2010; Still loving life

Comment

Good topic/discussion!

I learned the hard way that its "inflammation" that is the culprit, not only with MS but any chronic conditions.

So this past summer, I tried the 21 day detox diet, recommended by Dr Oz's show. You can see it on his web site. It was not a typical "cleansing' diet, but it only used certain foods that do cleanse your system. AND I went for plant-based protein drinks.

All I know is that I felt amazing, with more energy, less soreness, fewer symptoms or decreased. Now its not a cure, hardly, but learn about inflammation and what it does to the brain and all our systems. This information is for anyone trying to be healthier.

Jan
              I believe in miracles~!
              2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
              Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

I just posted on the general Q&A Board and just saw this.

Do you all here really believe that avoiding coffee, alcohol, sugar, wheat, soy, vinegar, corn, GMO foods are the reasons one might have less relapses and less activity? These foods inflame everyone no matter what? I really want to understand this.

I quite coffee and alcohol and all of the above after reading a few books about it and while it's true I haven not had a relapse since my first diagnosing one in May, I am wondering if it's that I have a mild prognosis says neuro, or that I'm on Tec or what.

Will drinking alcohol and drinking coffee really give me a relapse? Or any of the above items? Anyone here - can you share if you are relapse free and what your diet is?

Comment

I have been relapse free since 2006. I have been a vegetarian since 1997. My diet is mostly grains/legumes, vegetables, and eggs, with some fruit, but not too heavy on fruit.

Since reading George Jelinek's book, I have been experimenting with adding fish to my diet, and omitting dairy. My diet is still very much a work in progress.

Honestly, I feel the best energy-wise on the days (and days after) I eat ONLY fruits and vegetables and nothing else (except for a little oil for cooking). Recently, I've been doing that one day a week.

In general, I find eating quite lightly, with no snacking, makes me feel the best and most energetic.

I do drink coffee daily, alcohol on occasion, and every now and then I do eat a Snickers bar.

We all need to strike a balance between changing the parts of our daily lives that can be better and accepting that we don't and never will have full control of MS in our lives. Just because you have a relapse does not mean that you did something wrong or ate the wrong thing. You will drive yourself crazy otherwise. MS is crazy enough! Don't make it worse!!

Comment

Originally posted by OrangeMetal View Post
                    I just posted on the general Q&A Board and just saw this.

Do you all here really believe that avoiding coffee, alcohol, sugar, wheat, soy, vinegar, corn, GMO foods are the reasons one might have less relapses and less activity? These foods inflame everyone no matter what? I really want to understand this.

I quite coffee and alcohol and all of the above after reading a few books about it and while it's true I haven not had a relapse since my first diagnosing one in May, I am wondering if it's that I have a mild prognosis says neuro, or that I'm on Tec or what.

Will drinking alcohol and drinking coffee really give me a relapse? Or any of the above items? Anyone here - can you share if you are relapse free and what your diet is?
                    Good to know you are avoiding food/beverages that may make you less healthy. My understanding is that we need to keep our brains, systems and immune system as healthy as it can be. When healthier you can fight whatever you are predisposed to, be it heart disease, vascular or other chronic conditions, like migraines, back/knee inflammation.

Why not be as healthy was we can? So it is working WITH our bodies and not against it to make things worse, is my philosophy.

After all, the meds we take, the inactivity can only serve to make us have side effects right?

Now they know the brain CAN repair itself to a point. so exercise, and reducing inflammation is what I recently learned can help us function the best we can.
                    Jan

Jan
                    I believe in miracles~!
                    2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
                    Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

I do not eat super-healthy. I don't relapse, just a steady progression of annoying symptoms. I won't give up coffee (or dairy, for that matter), and drink socially.

Comment

I am not dx'd.

However, I went gluten free a year ago...and only had one serious neurological "episode" where I shook and had trouble walking, dizziness, etc.

At this point it had not crossed my mind that I could have ms, but looking back, that is the only really bad incident I have had since giving up the gluten. Recently I have cut dairy as well. It is VERY obvious to me that my diet directly effects my neurological health...whether it is gluten ataxia or ms or whatever I eventually get diagnosed with. All of my "bad" illnesses, and neurological issues were PRIOR to the omission.

I am also gluten intolerant suspected celiac.

Comment

Thanks for replies everyone. I should also mention that i should have said ..."did you give up coffee, etc...long list of those foods....." and not only are you relapse free, but symptom free. I guess some of the theory out there is that not eating/drinking some of these items causes symptoms to go away.

Comment

In addition to being a healthy vegan for years prior to MS, I've tried everything else in addition to since then (gluten free, raw, juicing, smoothies, superfoods, heavy supplementation) and no change at all.

I'm PPMS so no relapses or remissions. Symptoms I have are always with me (with more that crop up) and continue to get worse despite taking good care of myself. Good times.

Comment

Working...
                            X