Cruises and wheelchairs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cruises and wheelchairs

My husband and I plan to take a cruise sometime this next year. I don't walk anymore (can still stand to transfer). I have a motorized and manual wheelchair as well as a
    scooter that comes apart to fit in a trunk. When we travel by van we take both wheelchairs so we're prepared for small places. What is best for a cruise? I'd want the motorized chair for independence and comfort, but worry about getting around. My husband can maneuver the manual chair up and down stairs. Any advice for me? Thanks.

A lot depends on what cruise line, which ship, and where you are going. It is usually helpful to book early so that you can get a handicapped-equipped cabin. Check specifically with your cruiseline about exactly how the handicapped cabin is designed.

There are a number of websites with information about cruising and specifically disabled cruising. My favorite site is CruiseCritic, where you can ask specifically about your cruise, your planned ports, and also about disabled cruising in general.

Be aware that some ports are "tender ports" where the ship anchors offshore, so the visiting the port would involve getting into a small boat to get to shore. This would be very difficult at best. I'd pick a cruise where the ship docks at the piers.

Comment

onlyairfare's response is spot on. I took a cruise to Bermuda and used my electric scooter every day except when I had a beach day. You need to think about your destination and what you want to do there. Most cruise ships will accommodate a reasonably sized electric scooter or w/c but you need to be in a 'handicapped ready' room. Good luck

Comment

My husband and I have been on a number of cruises, mostly to Alaska. (Love the cool weather there.)

Definitely get a handicapped room. They don't show available online, you have to call, or have a travel agent call to get one. They are roomier, have lots of grab bars, and a roll-in shower.

Taking a large power chair may be problematic for transportation from ship to airport, docking area in port to areas you want to visit, etc. There may not always be a bus or taxi with a lift that can accommodate it.

Unless it is one of the small ship cruise lines, getting around on the ship is easy. Elevators, ramps in the theater, handicapped accessible restrooms, a lift for the pool, and plenty of crew popping up to carry things for you.

Shore excursions vary greatly. There are times when you are only allowed to go in a manual wheelchair, others will take your scooter. There is a company (Care Vacations) that provides rental manual wheelchairs, delivered to and picked up from your cabin.

We take my Go-Chair, which is a travel electric wheelchair. We rent the manual one for excursions.

Most cruise lines will have a place on their web page or can email you a document that gives specific info about wheelchair accessibility. I've found them to be very helpful in planning.

I hope you go and have a great time.

Comment

Working...
        X