Muscle Tone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Muscle Tone

I have been dealing with spasticity, fatigue and balance issues. Just noticed the muscles in my legs, particularly my calves are noticeably losing tone and actually seem to be withering away. Does anyone know if that is typical. I'm not scheduled to go back to my dr for several months and I'm curious about this latest development.

It certainly can be from MS, it can also be from inactivity...secondary to MS. You might want to try physical therapy. It may or may not help, but could stop the atrophy from continuing by giving you exercises to keep the atrophy away. Its worth a shot. You can give your neuro a call and ask them about PT for your legs.

Here is a talk about it from MS world from 2011-2012

http://www.msworld.org/FORUM/showthread.php?t=118213

Good luck, and take care
    Lisa
    Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
    SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
    Tysabri

Comment

I agree with Lisa. I'd bring it to the neuro's attention, or give them a call and ask about PT.

Spasticity's a weird thing, it can make your muscles look toned like you worked out, but at the same time because you're not using muscles in the right way due to an altered gait, ROM, etc. those muscles can eventually atrophy.

A PT that's familiar with MS can give you a handle on what's going on. Main thing with spasticity is to maintain ROM, as normal a gait as possible, etc.

Early on in my MS my calves looked like I worked out, they were tight and toned. Then as spasticity started to alter my ROM and gait, my calf muscles started to atrophy (basically because of the weird way I was walking.)

When the spasticity came under control (I now have a pump), and I was able again to walk in a more normal fashion, instead of having a drop foot gait, the atrophy seemed to stop. Can't say I've gained back muscle mass, but atrophy seems to have halted.

Find a good PT...I've often felt like the evaluation of my PT is more thorough in evaluating functionality than that of most neuros. JMO.

Hope you find a way to keep your atrophy in check.

Comment

I'd also like to recommend PT. It's best if it helps you keep walking, because there are huge bodily health benefits to be gained from it in fighting gravity and keeping blood circulating to your brain, where we all really need it. Walking also keeps blood and lymph from settling in your legs and feet and getting stagnant. But even if you aren't able to walk, just keeping those leg muscles as strong as possible and pumping can deliver many of the same health benefits as walking. Those muscles have to be able to actually flex and pump to do it, and PT is a great way to help with that. It can keep those calf muscles looking sexy, too, and that's never a bad thing.

You don't have to wait until your next neurology appointment. Give your neuro a call now, tell him or her what's going on and ask for a PT referral.

Comment

My last visit with my nero was last April. Because nothing was showing up with the tests he said to wait a year to come back and get retested. I think I'll follow your advise though and see if I can see him now. I have trouble staying on my feet now. Standing more than a few minutes and I start having a lot of pain. Lately I have been in a lot of pain (my legs) and it is getting worse. I've had to back out of ushering at church because it hurts too much to stand.

Comment

I want to add my vote to PT and/or exercise. Consider that the MS may make you inactive and then the inactivity makes you weak, which makes you less active, etc.

Comment

Working...
            X