Wondering ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wondering ...

I KNOW it is winter, and that most of the US in under the effect of a 'polar vortex', but I am cold!
    Normal good temp for me has for years been between 65F (sleeping temp) and 68 (daytime temp). I could tolerate low 70s for a short time but then started melting. Now my DH and I agreed that my 'thermostat' was broken years ago and purchased thermometers to place in the rooms we are normally in.
    Problem started late last summer. Husband, being concerned about my well-being, would have the house at my 'ideal' temperature, but I would be cold and go behind him turning up the temperature settings on the ac. Even spent time outside trying to warm up.
    Now that it is winter (and cold outside) I simply can not get warm. The thermometers are saying that it is like 75 or higher, but I am still freezing.
    Has anyone else had anything similar happen with them? I try not to blame MS for everything that goes wrong with me, but on this one I just don't know what could be going on. Been wondering if the fact that I am sleeping under electric blanket and staying bundled up in front of heaters is contributing to the fatigue I have been going thru the past few months, but I am COLD

I am not dxed, but have experienced the same thing since last winter. I've occasionally taken my temp to see if I have a fever -- my body temp can be as low as 95.4?!? (My normal is around 98). The only thing that helps is a hot bath -- then I'm fine for the rest of the day. I have no idea what this is.

Comment

Originally posted by msgijo View Post
      Been wondering if the fact that I am sleeping under electric blanket and staying bundled up in front of heaters is contributing to the fatigue I have been going thru the past few months, but I am COLD
      Yes. The amount of heat you are exposing yourself to can cause you to have more fatigue.

Have you mentioned to any of your Drs. about being so cold? There could be other reasons for being cold and it might be beneficial for you to see your PCP to rule out other causes.

Examples of possible causes of being cold: Vitamin/mineral deficiencies or Thyroid problems.

I can sympathize with being cold and heat intolerant, I too have the same problem. I have explained at length and in detail how cold/intolerant of cold I am as well as heat intolerant. How and what I explained to my neuro has left him unable to explain or offer advice for what I experience.

My thyroid has been 'suspect' for awhile now but blood work comes up within 'normal' ranges. Although Drs base Thyroid problems on blood work I have come to realize blood work does not necessarily tell the story of thyroid problems.
      Diagnosed 1984
      “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

I'm freezing cold and painfully stiff body or melting from the heat. My heat intolerence can get so accute at times it actually feel like a chemical change 'streaming' through my body, weakness that leads to no muscle strength or corrdination, until I cool down and recover. A cold glass of water is the only 'treatment' that works for me.

I agree that taking a hot bath helps to ease the freezing cold, painfully stiff body, followed by sufficient amount of time to recover from the hot bath that results in weakness. It's a constant battle.

Comment

I am intolerant of the heat and cold as well. It is a constant battle! I feel especially cold this winter. I remember one night I got into bed and was thinking how cozy and warm the blankets were. And suddenly, I felt a chill and then I was freezing cold.

I joke with my hubby that they're like night sweats, only now it's cold chills! But it isn't only at night. This can happens all the time. I take a hot shower (I can't take a bath) and that helps for little bit. I just layer up. If I get too warm then I layer down! Ha! The battle rages on!

I tend to think everything's ms related, too. But, if one can be heat intolerant, why not intolerant of the cold?

Comment

Well for me, I like to keep the air temp in my home cool when I sleep especially. Between the mattress pad material and the comforter, I get heated up while I sleep.

HOWEVER.. during this very cold vortex and with the heat turned up much higher than I usually prefer, I just cannot get that warm either. I am wearing layers, even gloves at times..and my body shivers at times.

Maybe we just don't regulate very well during this enduring very cold artic air.

As soon as temps went back to "normal" for WI winter, I didn't need the heat as high. Dang I don't want to see my heating bill anytime soon!!

Stay warm folks, LAYER up

Jan
            I believe in miracles~!
            2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
            Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

What amazes me is how narrow is my margin between freezing cold and roasting hot. Maybe 5 degrees.
              Too cold and all my muscles go stiff. Too hot, and I can hardly move.
              Temperature here dropped from 45 degrees Celsius one day to 20 the next.
              Prefer the cooler weather, obviously, but the abrupt change was a bit of a shock to the system.

Comment

Working...
              X