Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Okay...what's with the achillis tendons?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okay...what's with the achillis tendons?

Have NO recollection of injury but for several months (maybe 4-5) My achilles tendons have been hurting and I have a lump on the back of one. All my docs said to go see a podiatrist. I did so this past Monday. Achilles tendonitis AND plantar fasciitis. No wonder me feet hurt. Sheesh. He's got me doing "runner" stretches for the tendons, put half inch lifts in the heels of my shoes (shifts my weight a bit off the heels)and said orthodics would help the fasciitis but not the tendonits (so no to those for now).

So...stretching 8-9 times a day, trying to wear my shoes as long as I can stand it...I love being barefoot or in my flat slippers. He told me to get some clogs and/or maybe some "wedge" style sandles to elevate the heel. Hoping this helps so I don't have to have P.T. or wrap my feet/ankles or anything. Just want it to go away so I can get back to normal...well normal for me. I do soooo well with little disease impact. Guess I'm spoiled abd take this for granted when many of you have to deal with so much impact.

I just needed to unload. Forgive my whining.

** Moderator's note - Post broken into paragraphs for easier reading. Many people with MS have visual difficulties that prevent them from reading large blocks of print. **
    Susie

Eph 3:20-21

I had this same problem this last summer. I did two different rounds of PT to get rid of the lump. I would get ultrasound, and some electronic patch that got the swelling down a ton.

I believe my problems stems from years of being on Cipro and Levaquin for urinary tract and sinus infections. I won't take them any more for this reason. My ear/nose/throat doctor said I was lucky not to have snapped that achilles and should have told him years ago my legs hurt when on those meds.

Have you been on those drugs?
    Brenda
    Adversity gives you two choices in life: either let it make you bitter, or let it make you better! I choose the latter.

Comment

Brenda, Thanks for your input. I have not been on either but my daughter has recently had a round of Cipro for severe bladder infection which had her in the ER. I will pass this along to her as she has proven prone to UTI's in recent years.

I will read up on my other meds though. If they don't kill us theymight cure us! Right?
      Susie

Eph 3:20-21

Comment

I had this as well 5 years ago. Started with wearing UGGS in the winter, bit walking in them to work. Orthopedist said they are the worst for your feet, along with flip flops. I had plantar fasciitis in both feet and Achilles tendonitis in left. Boot for 6 months on left along with 3 rounds of PT.

Good luck with it.
        Kathy
        DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

not sure how this may fit with your issue but though its worth a mention- I am wheelchair dependent (electric) and am a right leg amputee at knee level and i do not use a prosthesis as my remaining leg is not strong rnough. I have been able to stand and pivot to transfer independently though until very recently.

I think i had a mild relapse a couple of months back and it (or what ever happened) led to a substantial weakening in my remaining leg. I can now still stand but get pain in my foot that is quite severe when i pivot- enough to make me fear falling. I have always had "fallen arches" and wore orthotics which helped but have not been able to afford these in recent yrs, still managed ok til recent ?flare, I can;t afford the special fitting shoes i require ether (due to severe edema -combination of lymphodema and dependent edema) so have been wearing very light weight slipper type shoes that offer no support and gradually over time i have developed both plantar fascitis and very painfull foot in general-trying to pivot is agonising!

it had got to the point of almst being hospitalised as i could not manage safely at home alone. The only shoe i could get on was a cheap knock off version of a croc clog! and it seems to provide enough support to make things just about managavle for now - in particular the plantar fascitis has eased off. Its been enough to show me that even though i am basically chair dependent with obly a few transfers, i still need a good fitting shoe and an orthotic- it may not get rid of the prob;em completely but certainly should help

Comment

Working...
          X