Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for info about living in Florida with MS

Hello,
    I have been diagnosed with MS for over a decade and have always had issues with heat. But recently the cold seems to effect me also. I currently live in Upstate NY, and it gets cold and snowy here, My wife may have the opportunity to relocate to Jacksonville but I worry about being in Florda with the heat/humidity, Is there anybody out there that lives in Florida that can offer me so information about being there year round with MS? I have been to southern FL in the winter and have been ok but I am thinking summertime will be different.

Thanks for the help

Originally posted by hockeystewey View Post
    Hello,
    I have been diagnosed with MS for over a decade and have always had issues with heat. But recently the cold seems to effect me also. I currently live in Upstate NY, and it gets cold and snowy here, My wife may have the opportunity to relocate to Jacksonville but I worry about being in Florda with the heat/humidity, Is there anybody out there that lives in Florida that can offer me so information about being there year round with MS? I have been to southern FL in the winter and have been ok but I am thinking summertime will be different.

Thanks for the help
    I do fine in Florida, here's why.

Winter is so easy. For instance we had frost on the grass this morning because it dipped pretty low last night, but now I have my doors and windows open, switched the heat off...and am enjoying the breeze, it's about 60 degrees now.

It never stays cold in Florida for very long, and it never rains in Florida for very long. If it's pouring outside, just wait 10 minutes and it'll more than likely quit

Now to the heat. Here's the thing, if you have to be outside for long and are heat sensitive, that can be a problem.

That doesn't mean you can't go to the beach, just go in the evenings. It doesn't mean you can't enjoy those gorgeous springs in central and north Florida...they'll keep you cool with their constant temp of 72 degrees. Some folks who want to be outdoors use the cooling vests...I've never tried one. When I see the weather map in the summer...looks to me that most places in the US can get pretty warm (probably not as humid as here though), but in Florida we do have an advantage:

There is literally no place without AC...even if you go to a beach eatery and there's an outside terrace, they'll also have an attached area that's air conditioned.

So I go from my AC'd house to my AC'd car to my AC'd destination. Walking across a hot parking lot can be a killer, but a lot of folks save those trips till after dark.

I don't drive much, so I always have someone to drop me at the door, and I don't notice the heat at all.

I'm farther south than Jax so things might be some cooler there in the summer, pretty near the coast, so you might benefit from that in the winter (keeps it warmer) and the summer (seabreeze or in downton Jax, river breeze.)

Jacksonville also has a Mayo Clinic, which is nice if you're having to deal with MS.

So how was my sales pitch, LOL, I'm 6th generation Floridians, and I think it's a pretty nice place to live.

P.S. I've lived in warmer places, and I've lived in colder places, but we came back here to settle after having been away for 5 years because we like it.

Comment

Have to agree with the above assessment. I live in south Florida but am more bothered by cold weather than with heat. But my wife (non-MS) hates the heat and copes with it by following the advice of not going out in the middle of the day. Putters with yard work late in the afternoon, in the shade. The routine of going from AC house to AC car to AC store/office/whatever is true, so you'd not likely have to be out in the heat for long.

Comment

I lived in SW Florida for a few years before my diagnosis. I agree with the other comments.

Also on the plus side, Florida has no shortage of rambler style homes in a variety of price ranges and with swimming pools.

On the minus, you would need a contingency plan for wind storms or hurricanes. If you lose electricity, you'll need to be able to stay cool. Insects and tourists are a bugger. You may have more guests than you care to entertain, have a contigency plan for this as well.
        Symptoms 8/09. Dx 1/10. Avonex 2/10 - 1/11. Copaxone 2/11 to 5/13. Tecfidera 5/13 to 2/15. Gilenya 12/15 to current.

Comment

I agree with the others. I live in NC where it is hot and very humid during the summer, but have in-laws who live in Sarasota. Jacksonville is a good place to live in Florida. You are close to the east coast beach, close to Tampa Bay Lightning Hockey (you will get used to it) and hey its better than Miami with the Panthers, you have good access to quality medical care. Win-win.

Good luck!
          Lisa
          Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
          SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
          Tysabri

Comment

Floridian

I live on the coast in Central Florida and I love it. We moved here from Virginia and find it much more comfortable in the summer than in Northern Virginia. Yes, it gets hot in the afternoon, but there are air conditioners everywhere you go. We're about 15 minute drive from the beach, which brings serenity on our quick visits. Like someone else says, there are mostly one story houses, level sidewalks, low curbs and many services for seniors and handicapped not offered up north. I don't miss winters at all, but do try to plan two trips up north a year to see spring blossoms and autumn foliage.

I guess you can tell I give the Florida coastline two thumbs up!!!

Comment

Living in FL

I live in the Pensacola area and there are definitely things I can no longer do outside. The heat July-September can be pretty stifling because the humidity gets so bad. Very similar to Jacksonville that way. I used to be out in the heat or at the beach during the summer without thinking twice about it. I can't anymore but it's managable. Now I just go out earlier or late in the day, when it's more temperate.

Comment

I have lived in Central FL for 18 years now - diagnosed 14 years ago. I agree with most of these posts by saying I do well living here. The cold bothers me almost as much as the heat. I stay very hydrated - even more so when I'm outside in the heat at the beach, a theme park, etc. I just plan ahead and don't schedule summer outside activities many days in a row.

Comment

I have lived in Jacksonville for 22 years and am bothered by the heat. This is the best area in FL to live because of it's North Easternly location. You at least get a break from the heat.I deal with the cold much better than the heat. This is probably the most MS friendly climate in FL although the hot summers are long and humid.

Comment

Working...
                  X