Hypersomnia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hypersomnia

About once a month i go thru an episode where I can sleep 24 hours straight. Use restroom, than back to sleep for another day or 2 after that. Can anyone relate

About once a month I arrived home from work exhausted, after a typical long work day. I'd turn on the TV to relax for a few minutes before dinner, but I would instead wake up +15hrs later, still in my clothes from the prior work day. It always baffled me when it happened.

I was also experiencing many un'dxed sx's that I now know were MS. I had ON, chronic untreatable UTI's and of all things, hives involving eyes, face, and body wide hives that took weeks to resolve. Over a 5yr time span sx's coincided with the baffling episodes of exhaustion and prolong sleep.

My current MS doc acknowledges the unusual anecdotal presentation and medical history of 'hormonal' cluster sx's similar to mine in other women, but inconclusive, nothing very scientific or specific, other than the more obvious ON, UTIs, and eventually MRIs.

My cluster of sx's baffled me and a few doc's over the years. But I've also been called a pretty good diagnostician by more than one of my MS docs.

Comment

Originally posted by Jmlsrdy View Post
      About once a month i go thru an episode where I can sleep 24 hours straight. Use restroom, than back to sleep for another day or 2 after that. Can anyone relate
      I had this a LOT in the beginning. I learned to manage it by arranging my life so I have a least one weekend day (usually Sundays) where I can laze around in bed and sleep all day if I want. Even with that designated one day, I still have to take a day off work every 2-3 months or so because I am so exhausted.

Comment

You know, I hear this from a lot of people lately. My husband has a serious liver disease and he sleeps most of the time now.
        Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Comment

I also have this experience!

I have experienced this several times over the years but didn't know it was an actual symptom! Knew that fatigue was of course but not this! Glad I saw this! Thanks for the help!

Comment

I had similar experiences where I would need to sleep a lot for a few days. This was starting to happen more and more but I wasn't bouncing back. It is one of the reasons I am no longer working.
            Kathy
            DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

It's interesting how uniquely sx's evolve for many of us. I had monthly episodes of hypersomnia, but otherwise I woke most mornings before my alarm clock, and hit the ground running.

Years later, leading up to my dx, insomnia started full time, followed by dibilating fatigue full time.

Comment

Working...
              X