Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pros/Cons of filling removal

Hello. I searched forum and couldnt find thread about the following:

My new dentist wants to remove the last of my silver fillings. Not because of MS - other minor reasons that I feel could wait, but he thinks I should address.

Does anyone have any advice about silver filling removal? I know the link of having them to MS is not proven.

My concern is will the removal of them cause problems ?(mercury exposure?).

Thanks for any help

I've had 4 old mercury fillings removed because over my lifetime they got loose and bacteria started getting under them or the teeth they were in broke and I needed crowns.

I'm not aware of any problems caused by their removal. And I'm not concerned about having another removed when the time comes or keeping the ones I have. The mercury connection to MS is so tenuous that it isn't worth my time to give it any more thought. If I were concerned about mercury exposure, I would stop eating fish and I wouldn't live near a freeway.

Comment

Hi Willow,

I'm one of the goofballs that ran out and had all my fillings replaced when this was identified as a possible link to MS in the 80's. Multiple visits to the dentist - maybe 20???

As you've already said, there's no link to MS. Likewise, I did not have any "reaction" to the removal of the mercury.

It was a wash both ways...

Comment

First of all, amalgams (silver-mercury fillings) don't last forever and need to be replaced. They can "leak" too and eventually lead to root canals type of damage you don't want.

Now I wanted my amalgams replaced anyway cause I didn't want mercury leaking into my blood stream for ALL health reasons, not MS.

Good luck in figuring this out, but I would go along with what your dentist is recommending. You don't want problems much bigger later with your teeth.

Jan
        I believe in miracles~!
        2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
        Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

IMHO, unnecessary dental work causes more stress, physically and mentally. I'm not a fan of the dentist but go regularly for cleanings, etc. (every 4-6 months). When issues pop up, we can address them before they turn into huge issues. In 48 years, I've never had to replace a silver filling. Cost-wise, my dental plan won't cover replacements unless absolutely needed. Cost is a major factor for me.
          Jen
          RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
          "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

Thanks

Thanks everyone for your help. I cancelled the appointment for filling repl, but I kept my 6 mth appt with same place. I really liked the dental hygenist.

After much thought I realized I was nervous because I felt rushed. My old dentist never rushed

I will see how things go at next appointment re: rapport with dentist before moving ahead.

SO far everything is fine with my teeth.

Comment

One of our local news anchors was diagnosed with MS and immediately went out and replaced all her fillings -- and then did a multi-part report on her experience. When I mentioned it to my dentist, she repeated the ADA findings that there was no connection with heavy metal off-gasses and chronic disease (I'm not sure about that). Then, about a year later, one of my metal fillings was loose and she suggested that they should all come out. It was only two visits and wasn't a lot of money, so I don't think that was her motivation but I after reading some studies, I felt better having all of that heavy metal out of my body.

Comment

When I told my dentist, very sadly, how I had come down with MS and was dealing with large bills, he got very excited that I should have all my fillings removed. I changed dentists.

Comment

I have no cavities, thus no fillings. But Boy Howdy, do I have MS. My teeth sure look nice though.
                  Katie
                  "Yep, I have MS, and it does have Me!"
                  "My MS is a Journey for One."
                  Dx: 1999 DMDS: Avonex, Copaxone, Rebif, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Working...
                  X