Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Continuing Aquatic Therapy??

Hello everyone,
    My name is Hannah, and my mother has MS. She has had it for about 24 years now, but within the last 5 years or so I have really seen a drastic decline in her overall health and mainly her mobility. She has gone from being able to walk by herself for a solid 30 minutes before taking a break, to being almost entirely reliant on her wheelchair or a walking stick for short distances around the house.

A couple years ago, she had been taking some aquatic therapy classes a couple times a week. She really loved them, and it definitely helped with her body movement on a day to day basis. It hurts my heart to see her now bed bound some days, or to have to lay on the couch with cold compresses, especially when it's hot, or humid even in the winter.
    Anyway, she had to stop taking the therapy classes as they were quite costly and insurance didn't cover any of it. She does not work as her physical ability doesn't let her.

So this is where my younger brother, our father, and I come in. We understand everyone here has their own story, but we are hoping that by posting this here we can get some positive feedback, or at least some advice. We have started a fund online for my mother for financial support to help her get back into therapy.

We hope to be able to surprise her with it, as she constantly talks about how much she wishes she could have continued it. If there is anyone at all that would either like to donate to our fund, or even has some advice on possible areas (websites, message boards, discussions and groups) where it may be a productive idea to post the site, please please let us know.

We are new at this and just starting out, so we do not want to post the fund site anywhere where people may get offended. We just desperately want to help our mom start to feel better again. We appreciate anything at all from anyone, even if it is just advice on where we may have better luck.
    Thank you everyone!!

**URL removed by Moderator in compliance with MSWorld Guidelines.**

** Moderator's note - Post broken into paragraphs for easier reading. Many people with MS have visual difficulties that prevent them from reading large blocks of print. **

Hi hannahrose and welcome to MSWorld. I think your efforts to help your mom are wonderful - water therapy is one of the most helpful exercise for people with MS.

You got some suggestions in the other post you wrote from the other day http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthread.php?t=131213

I would suggest you contact the NMSS at 1-800-344-4867 or call your local chapter to speak with an MS Navigator.

To find your local chapter look here http://www.nationalmssociety.org/fin...ter/index.aspx

To get in touch with MSAA (MS Assoc of America) call 1-800-532-7667, extension 154

Our members cannot help donate here through MSW, but we wish you all the best!
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

the ms society sponsors free aquatic therapy days through the local y community center sometimes and may be able to direct you to free sessions in your area. give them a call nmss.org

Comment

scholarships

Most YMCA's offer a scholarship program.
        God Bless and have a good day, Mary

Comment

Not sure where in Canada you live but in Ontario it's possible to get it covered by provincial health care if medically necessary. It may take a few doc's letters but definitely worth a try.

I live in Mississauga, the city next to... well, the now world famous Mayor Rob Ford. City programs, such as aquatics, have a rate for the disabled which is extremely affordable.

I wish you all well, and for your dear Mom... she is lucky to have all of you on her side. I hope you can make this surprise a reality.

Jen
          RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
          "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

Working...
          X