Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can flares be caused by external, or internal, stress?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can flares be caused by external, or internal, stress?

The answer to my question above, might already be answered in an 'official' way on various MS websites (and my brain just isn't remembering it!), but I would still appreciate hearing from anyone at this wonderful forum!

I was looking over my documented symptoms, and it turns out that, both in 2011 and 2013, both at the beginning of September, I had my two most obvious 'episodes' of symptoms.

Since my brain injury, I have always been sensitive to the weather, foods, etc. I am wondering if any of those factors (maybe the extreme heat in Sept, or the 'getting cold' in Oct?), are causing my body to have these episodes? I have also had symptoms in between those times, but they must not have been as bad, because I didn't document them much. Thanks, all! L&L...Jan.

Many of us note worse symptoms in hot weather, but I don't know if this would be considered a relapse or a flare, but rather worsening of pre-existing symptoms.

A number of members have reported relapses after having surgery, which is certainly one form of stressor.

It is also common for a pregnant MSer to have a relapse in the first few months after delivery, though it seems that medically this is the result of hormone changes. Though it could also be the stress of having a newborn who eats every 2 - 3 hours, so mom doesn't get enough sleep.

Comment

Hello Jan

Flares can definitely be associated with internal stress, and reaction to external stress. In hot weather I
      feel very fatigued and weak, just no energy. My first major flare was during the 7th mo of my 3rd pregnancy.

Take care
      Susan......... Beta Babe since 1994....I did improve "What you see depends on where you're standing" from American Prayer by Dave Stewart

Comment

According to the no win, no pay lawyer with whom I spoke, yes.
        Legally very difficult to prove, but that's the law, not reality.

Comment

Exacerbations are caused by inflammation in the central nervous system. The inflammation damages the myelin, which slows or disrupts the transmission of nerve impulses and causes the symptoms of MS.

While stress can make us feel worse, whether upsetting our stomachs or knotting our neck muscles, there is no conclusive evidence that stress causes exacerbations.

http://www.nationalmssociety.org/abo...ons/index.aspx

Chances of having a flare increase after giving birth and the first 3 months thereafter. This does not generally contribute to long term disability though.

http://www.nationalmssociety.org/cha.../index.aspx#12

Things like fever, viruses, infections of any kind, hot weather, etc. are called pseudoexacerbations. These are thinkgs that feel like exacerbations but do no permanent damage to the CNS. No new lesions etc.

Good luck and I hope you feel better!

Take care
          Lisa
          Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
          SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
          Tysabri

Comment

Thank you Lisa, Camsue, OnlyAir, and Think! I think I am finally 'getting a handle' (from the movie 'We Bought A Zoo'!...lol) on what a flare is, and is not. Thanks much, all! Love & Light. Jan.

Comment

Working...
            X