FRUSTRATED WITH MY MS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FRUSTRATED WITH MY MS

HI EVERYONE. I'M 42 YRS. OLD.....I LIVE AT HOME WITH MY PARENTS AND MY DAUGHTER. I LIVE WITH MY PARENTS BECAUSE I'M DIVORCE. I HAD A HORRIBLE MARRIAGE. MY DAUGHTER IS A FRESHMAN IN COLLEGE. I AM SO TRIED BEING TREATED LIKE AM 5. I REALIZE I HAVE A DISEASE BUT I DON'T THINK THAT MY PARENTS REALLY DON'T GET IT. I'M SO AFRAID TO SPEAK UP TO MY PARENTS AND AM JUST REALLY FRUSTRATED....PLEASE HELP ME

Oh, I wish I could? You're in between the proverbial rock and the hard place. (Also you've got your Caps Locked.)

The only thing that I can suggest is play the guilt card. You deserve it. Cry, let it all out, no more cracking hearty. It might be a relief to your parents, too. Next chapter, move forward.

Then I don't know them.

Comment

do they not understand because they have not researched? And are they willing to understand? The answers to these questions are yes then I suggest a book called "MS for dummies". I wish you the best of luck, I do not envy your situation.
      hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
      volunteer
      MS World
      hunterd@msworld.org
      PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Remember that you can't change anybody else. You can only change yourself. If you are that frustrated and afraid to speak up for yourself, it might be that the only thing that's going to help you is therapy with a mental health professional. In the office, face to face.

The first thing that you might think of is how difficult it might be to do that. But the other thing that you have to consider is what might happen if you don't do it. Instead of thinking of all the reasons you can't, start looking for all the the ways that you can. No excuses! You might even start by getting Dr. Wayne Dyer's book Excuses Begone from your library.

You'll get out of therapy what you put into it. Good luck!

Comment

Can you get a small apartment for yourself? I know this isn't possible for many of us based on financial and/or self-care needs but if it is I think being in your own home would be preferable.

Living in someone else's home seems to often result in a parental relationship.

Best of luck.
          He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
          Anonymous

Comment

I live near family, but not with them. Even the best family relationships become strained in confined spaces.

JulesA had sound advice. Is it possible for you to move in a small apartment near your parents?
            Katie
            "Yep, I have MS, and it does have Me!"
            "My MS is a Journey for One."
            Dx: 1999 DMDS: Avonex, Copaxone, Rebif, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Your own small apartment. Works wonders! Good luck. If you can't afford it, look on the HUD website for affordable housing.

Your parents are being abusive. That is not OK. You have a disease to manage. You do not have to put up with that belittling nonsense from them. Anyone who says to just "change your attitude" doesn't get it.

Comment

Working...
              X