Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have any of you gone back to college post diagnosis?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Everybody has given good advice so I thought I would put my 2 cents in.

I am currently in college and just got dx last month. I have been in school for almost 2 years and working part time.

The last year is when I started having issues. I knew something was wrong but didn't know what so instead of giving up I did what worked for me. I cut my hours down at work and I don't go to school full time.

I tried to go full time this term but ended up dropping a class, it was too much stress with me about to start copaxone.
    Also, there is a disability service through schools that you can sign up for. This will help if you are having a hard time. I hated signing up for it but I don't want to be penalized for having MS. Don't use it as something to lean on but just as a safety net.

If you have to start out with only 1 or 2 classes then that is what you do. Its going to take me another year to get my associates which will end up taking me about 3 years. But I am doing whatever it takes to be successful, even if it means taking it slowly.

One more thing, most instructors will let you record the lectures and if they don't allow it, and you sign up for disability they will have to anyways

I know this is long but hope it helped. Getting an education, to me, is one of the most important things and if you feel like you want to go, don't let having MS stop you from that!!!!

And like other people said, remember there are online classes.

Comment

Originally posted by MsLatte View Post
      I went back for my doctorate. Had always wanted to do it and my neurologist said go for it. It was a busy time but I made it. Whew.
      SWEET!!!
      He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
      Anonymous

Comment

Ah, it's you again. LOL. You're going to think I'm stalking you. You've been here for a long time and have a low post count...so I imagine you're only now posting things that interest me.

I too have an associate degree. I earned my first associate's pre-diagnosis, and it was a no-brainer curriculum. I did not apply myself and got B-C averages. Parents paid.

Post-diagnosis (with encouragement to go back to school by our state's bureau of Vocational Rehabailitation)Second time around for second associate in different field, much harder material ( drafting and design, mechanical and architectural) and I made Dean's list. I paid (student loans).

In my case the change in GPA was largely due to paying my own way and not out of any change in cognitive ability. I'd like to say I got smart, but I think I just grew up a little.

So, I would venture to suggest that you are still one smart cookie, and shouldn't worry about it until and unless you have evidence of cognitive deficit. And even if you do feel like you might have deficits, going back to school is a good way to build new synapses. The brain IS capable of doing that, you know. Also: Be aware of the perception of lost cognitive ability due to depression over physical symptoms. It can be very preoccupying and demoralizing. If it hadn't been for my friends at the POBVR, I would have felt like school was a waste of money because I was so depressed when they took me as a client. I thank God every day for the change they wrought in my living circumstances and outlook on my future. Good folks.

So yes, definitely look into going back. And rock on, smarty pants.

Comment

Yep, I am going to do it, Tarbaby. Meeting with a counselor next week! Thanks for your encouragement... And I will continue to rock on, rest assured!

Chris

Comment

Back 2 School

Yes! I went back to college after raising two sons. The younger one can hardly remember me not living with the issues of MS and walking with a cane. Getting a certificate in computer application was a tiring experience but also a most rewarding one. It can be done. Be sure to look into the test-taking accommodations.

JunebugKiss

Comment

kinda sorta

I graduated from my Master's program about 2 years prior to my dx. But, given dissemination of time & space needed for dx, I was almost certainly in school & dealing with MS. I had some issues (couldn't focus in class, took longer to do the work etc) & didn't know why at the time. But I finished & it's helped my career.

I say, go for it, if you want to go back to school. Can't stop living. You won't know if you can do it until you try.

Comment

I did get a Dip.Ed, post fan and things hitting it. I was three-quarters of the way through a law degree when things went wrong.
                I don't think my brain would be up to it these days.

Comment

Old dog is still learning new tricks....

Diagnosed with MS in 2004. I loved my job as personal care aide. I tried to go back part time, those hours with no lifting are extinct.
                  I went through our local OVR who hooked me up with a home computer and all. I worked from home as telephone operator for major retail company for year and a half.

MS problems lost that job.

In 2011, I enrolled at Pittsburgh Tech for Medical Billing and Coding. In March 2014, I will be going for my Associates Degree in Health Information Technology. All online!!!

Anyone who is fighting depression and needs confidence in themselves..................do volunteer work!!!!! IT IS THE BEST CURE.... I was an adult tutor at our local library until it was taken over by the career center. Any volunteer work will do wonders. volunteermatch.org is a great place to start.

Never give up on yourself. You may need to adjust how you learn since being diagnosed, but you can always find a way.
                  Woof Woof

** Moderator's note - Post broken into paragraphs for easier reading. Many people with MS have visual difficulties that prevent them from reading large blocks of print. **
                  Teri S.

Comment

Not for a degree, but...

I finished the last of my degrees/professional certifications back in the 1990's well before my diagnosis, so I haven't been back to college to finish a degree, but I have had to take a plethora of college level classes to maintain my certifications and professional licenses.

I actually found that I had more trouble adapting to attending lectures via "virtual environments" and submitting assignments via computer upload than I ever did with any of the course material.

If my experience is anything to go by, then I would strongly recommend you take the plunge and go get that degree!

Comment

Working...
                    X