110 genes related to risk of MS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

110 genes related to risk of MS

Norwegian researchers have mapped genetic variations associated with an increased risk of multiple sclerosis (MS) and myasthenia gravis (MG), bringing science one step closer to understanding these serious autoimmune disorders.
    The Norwegian researchers have taken part in an international cooperative effort to map 110 genetic variations that increase the risk of MS and MG. Most of these genetic variations have been mapped in recent years.

http://medicalxpress.com/news/2014-0...sis-genes.html

Awesome! Thanks for the post.

Comment

Thank you Marco!

Marco,
      Again, thanks for making it easy to get to the bottom line regarding MS research!. My DNA test revealed not having identified 2 suspect genes (so far!), but also to what degree of risk I was at...each gene was different.

I am not at all sure what makes one MS gene more powerful, but you do see that in all the genes (for example the BRAC (?) breast cancer gene(s)). Of course, on the MS DNA chat forum, you had people who had no or lowered risk for MS who had it, and people with suspect MS genes who did not...yet, anyway). Well, I had 2 of those bad boys anyway...
      Tawanda

Comment

My 2 "bad" genes

Marco,
        I tried for the life of me to enlarge that pie chart at the top of the article showing the gravity of each M.S. gene that has been identified to no success (different searches as well as different computers)! I wanted to know where the 2 specific genes found by my DNA test fell on the chart. Specifically, the worse gene is HLA-DRB1 (odds 2.54X) and the lesser evil is ILRA (odds 1.08X). I realize that this 23andme stuff is all subject to interpretation, but some knowledge is better than no knowledge.

Thanks.
        Tawanda

Comment

Working...
        X