Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Two questions, pls (flares, and symptoms changing)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two questions, pls (flares, and symptoms changing)

Hi, all. I am a limbolander, but I wanted to ask a couple questions. First, does extra rest (or anything else, for that matter!) help to shorten the length of a flare? I am worried that my daily walks with my dog, are causing this 'alleged flare', to continue. I know that my worsening symptoms after the dog walk, is probably a pseudo-flare, but I just wonder if, because it is happening daily, it is causing the whole flare episode, to never heal? I am wondering if I should be forcing myself to rest a lot more (it would be hard for me to completely cease my responsibility for the dog walk, because my hubby also does a dog walk, in the afternoon. Yep...we have a very energetic two-year-old, BoBo!).

My second question is...for three months now, I have had the heavy legs, and fatigue. Just recently, it seems, I am now getting stiff and achy legs...like they are locking up on me a bit (no actual spasms, tho)...and the heaviness seems not as bad.

Do any of you get a change in symptoms like that? Could this still be the same flare? I just don't know how all of this works, and I want to try and capture it all accurately, for when I see the neuro doc.

I hope I explained things well enough...and thank you, to whomever replies! Love and Light....Jan.

Keep walking your dog, if you're able.
    Rest is good, but so's a walk with your dog.

Flares are not predictable, and can last a loooong time.

Comment

Thanks, Think...good advice! (and you are so much more 'concise' with your advice...i.e., I use too many words to get my point across...lol!).
      Jan.

Comment

Yes; don't exhaust yourself, and, do take care of yourself.

But, you don't need to pamper yourself and you don't need to do nothing. Flares can take a long time to go away. It is not unusual for my symptoms to take until after my prednisone taper is already over before they disappear.

~ Faith
        ~ Faith
        MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
        (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
        - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
        - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
        - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

I am also in limbo ... exercise is so good, but I have found that during a "flare", if I overdo it, I do more damage. I get weakness on the right side, and if I continue on the treadmill I mess up my left knee because my gait is off, for instance, which means even more physio at the end to fix things.

On the other hand, if I don't do any cardio at all I end up with contracted calf muscles which ALSo take a while to fix. Also, with my arm, if I overuse it when it's weak I end up with other nerve issues and pain.

It's a bit of a juggle.

I end up with new symptoms that aren't anything to do with the original flare, and are only secondary stuff. When the flare is over ... my muscles on that side are weak, and ANY exercise causes pain/stiffness ... this is when physio helps. Perhaps you're at that point if the heaviness is gone?

NOt sure if this is what you are experiencing but I thought I'd contribute just in case.

Comment

Thank you, Faith...I guess I will just kind of keep doing, what I have been doing...it seems to be a compromise (exercise vs. rest), to me.

Aspen...that is an interesting point you made...maybe my 'flare' is over (although I still seem to have excess fatigue, and I am not doing a whole lot), and my stiffness, is from 'using' my legs so much, when on the walks.

I understand about compensating, with other muscles...I am sure I have been doing that also...my left side is worse than my right. I also notice a lot of shuffling, around the house. When I use a cane, while on errands, I don't seem to shuffle.

I will keep an eye on my symptoms, from a different perspective now, Aspen...thanks! It sure would be nice if I had a neuro, who could confirm these symptoms, for me...instead of me having to ask all of you, here!

I am in the middle of moving to a new location (to a 'winter home'), and I have decided to wait until I get there (NM), where they have a teaching hospital, and an MS specialty clinic. Then I will seriously attempt to be diagnosed. Thanks again, Aspen. I hope you get dx'd soon, too! Love and Light. Jan.

Comment

Working...
            X