MS and cancer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MS and cancer

It is almost time for me to go for my checkup to see if my cancer has recurred. I was just wondering if some of you have had both cancer and MS together. If so does one effect the other.

Lois

Sorry that I can't provide any insight, but I do remember some posts previously. I do hope you have a great check up and remain cancer free.
    Kathy
    DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

I had a lot of surgery for suspected breast cancer late this year and apparently, the biopsies themselves put you at a greater risk for cancer, even though I do not have cancer now. I also had atypical results from one biopsy. So I will be taking a pill for five years to lower my risk for breast cancer.

There is a bit of cancer in my family and MS as well.

I hope and pray that you are still cancer free. ((hugs))
      Take care, Wiz
      RRMS Restarted Copaxone 12/09

Comment

There are so many different kinds of cancer, and so many different kinds of treatments, that it is hard to say whether MS and cancer have an effect on each other.

Some MS medications are thought to increase the risk of some kinds of cancer. Some types of cancer are more common in people with certain types of auto-immune disease. MS is thought to be an auto-immune disease, and anyone with one auto-immune disorder is apt to be at risk for another one.

So I guess the answer to your question is "It depends." Which is the answer to a lot of different questions. You could talk with your doctor about your question, and about your specific situation.

Good luck with your check-up, and I hope you remain cancer free.

Comment

Originally posted by 1936siols View Post
          It is almost time for me to go for my checkup to see if my cancer has recurred. I was just wondering if some of you have had both cancer and MS together. If so does one effect the other.
          My cancer was well before my MS dx (>10 years), but my neuro & my physiatrist both think my "MS" may really be nerve damage from the chemotherapy.

Other than side effects from the treatments, I can't see how one could influence the other...
          1st sx 11/26/09; Copaxone from 12/1/11 to 7/13/18
          NOT ALL SX ARE MS!

Comment

Dear Lois,
            So sorry you are dealing with both MS and cancer. I have been there.

In "The Ladies Room" there are a series of threads on "Breast Cancer and Me." Three of us posted details of our cancer experience and it's effect on our MS. And each of our stories is different.

Good luck to you, and
            Stay lifted,
            Mermaid
            "Life is short, and we have but little time to gladden the hearts of those who travel with us; so let us be swift to love, and make haste to be kind."

-Henri Amiel

Comment

Lois,
              Turns out I collected the references to the "Breast Cancer & Me" threads.

Breast Cancer and Me

BC&M The Beginning Pt1
              http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthread.php?t=123306

BC&M Biopsy & DX Pt 2
              http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthread.php?t=123386

BC&M Decisions Pt3
              http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthread.php?t=123521

BC&M Surgery Pt 4
              http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthread.php?t=123891

BC&M sorry for long delay
              http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthread.php?t=124493

BC&M Recovery Pt 5
              http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthread.php?t=125548

Again, hope this is hopeful.

Stay lifted,
              Mermaid
              "Life is short, and we have but little time to gladden the hearts of those who travel with us; so let us be swift to love, and make haste to be kind."

-Henri Amiel

Comment

MS and Cancer

I was diagnosed with colon cancer in 2 places. I think I've had most of the symptoms you have with MS. I've had optic neuritis,, no feeling in my limbs, trouble swallowing, can bearly speak, bladder problems that have led to kidney problems and the whole relm of symptoms. I have CHF, a pacemaker. Sometimes its hard to tell which is from the heart and which is MS.

Now the cancer. My attitude about the cancer is it's just another thing. It has not upset me. I don't think about it. I 'm not much interested in the checkup. I know my attitude should be entirely different. It can't be any worse then the MS. Have you ever run into anyone who just doesn't care. Sometimes I think something is wrong with me.

Lois

Comment

MS and Cancer

Mermaid. You sound so normal compared to me.. I do not feel pain and haven't for years. After reading your story you have been through so much for years. You sound so much like a human should. I just wish I had the same types nof feelings but I don't. I just hope everything works for you for a very long time. The cancer has run through your whole family.

Lois

Comment

I had breast cancer in 2011 before my MS dx. I only had a lumpectomy and didn't go through radiation. I was dx with MS one year ago though like many, I have had symptoms for years. I was not concerned about the breast cancer but have been horribly depressed because of the MS.

Now I have a sharp pain in my side and have to get an ultrasound so of course I have to go to the worst place in my mind and think I have ovarian cancer.

It is probably a UTI or kidney infection since I have urinary hesitancey.

I never thought the MS and cancer were related but maybe I wouldn't have gotten it if my immune system wasn't messed up.

Comment

Working...
                    X